VOGONS

CUV4X - Powerleap Tualatin Build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just realized that my CUV4X Rev 1.03 has an ISA slot, so replaced PCI sound card with ISA ALS100. Wolf 3D, Quake, Duke 3D etc DOS games run just fine.
MB is stable at 150MHz FSB with P3 800MHz@900MHz, GF4MX 440 (also overclocked). Maybe I need better CPU cooler, that one is small and fan is noisy.

cuv4x.jpg
Filename
cuv4x.jpg
File size
138.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 22 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pete8475 wrote on 2020-02-26, 18:51:
This machine has been such a pain in the butt. […]
Show full quote

This machine has been such a pain in the butt.

Well I finally got around to taking some pics today, after lots of testing I've reached the conclusion that the combo of this motherboard and powerleap adaptor will NOT run at 133mhz fsb.

P3 1.0 (133fsb) runs fine at 133mhz and 100mhz (no powerleap)
P3 1.4 runs fine at 100mhz (1050mhz speed), keyboard stops working after a few seconds at 133mhz.
2 x Celeron 1.2 run fine at 100mhz but when overclocked to 1600mhz, you guessed it the keyboard stops working.

I'm going to set this thing to the side for now, so annoyed.

edit - attached some pics.

I know this is probably not in any way helpful to you at the time of writing this (you mentioned you wanted to sell your board and that was in 2020). I did read the manual and your DIMM was placed in the right most slot. You could have tried to put the SDRAm into the 1st DIMM slot (which is the leftmost).
Perhaps your HSF got in the way (?) or you didn't notice or it does not even matter. But in these older boards it often does matter or can matter (especially when trying to do anything out of spec).

Just wanted to add this little bit of info ftr.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 24, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-01, 15:10:

I know this is probably not in any way helpful to you at the time of writing this (you mentioned you wanted to sell your board and that was in 2020). I did read the manual and your DIMM was placed in the right most slot. You could have tried to put the SDRAm into the 1st DIMM slot (which is the leftmost).
Perhaps your HSF got in the way (?) or you didn't notice or it does not even matter. But in these older boards it often does matter or can matter (especially when trying to do anything out of spec).

It's been a while since I had that combo of hardware together but I do believe the cooler was blocking the first dimm slot. All of those Tualatin Celerons ran perfectly at 133fsb in a CUBX-E (440BX) motherboard btw. In the meantime I had been using a 1ghz Coppermine in the CUV4X but it quit posting a few months back and is in storage at the moment.

Reply 24 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pete8475 wrote on 2021-10-01, 22:32:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-01, 15:10:

It's been a while since I had that combo of hardware together but I do believe the cooler was blocking the first dimm slot. All of those Tualatin Celerons ran perfectly at 133fsb in a CUBX-E (440BX) motherboard btw. In the meantime I had been using a 1ghz Coppermine in the CUV4X but it quit posting a few months back and is in storage at the moment.

Ah yes, the HSF blocking the 1st DIMM slot makes sense.
If your CUV4X has slowly but progressively degraded in performance (first not being able to overclock and later not running correctly on hardware which I presume it was build to run with), perhaps it's the caps or some other components? If you're unlucky it might be ESD damage but I've yet to learn of a mobo dying in the way as you described it here.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!