VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a GeForce 6600 AGP and tried it on Windows ME using the very latest modified driver version 82.69. Doing anything graphically is unstable and the system will lock up or the monitor will go to sleep when I try to launch some games. When 3DMark 2001 would load I got major graphical glitches.

I don't have any other 6600 AGP cards to compare with so I don't know if this is a faulty card or an issue with the drivers.

Does anyone have this card and would be willing to test this benchmark and see if the glitch can be reproduced?

Here are the drivers and some pictures.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1076&menustate=0

IMG_20210921_034647_resize_95.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210921_034647_resize_95.jpg
File size
328.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210921_034552_resize_87.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210921_034552_resize_87.jpg
File size
358.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210921_034533_resize_61.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210921_034533_resize_61.jpg
File size
362.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 36, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is likely due to

- faulty component on the video card
- inability to keep reference frequencies
- driver issue

I'd suggest:

- inspect visually the card and look for missing components, bad caps or damages
- use RivaTuner or coolbits registry to lower the frequencies by 20-30% (both on GPU and RAM)
- Try the card on a clean Windows XP install with unmodified drivers

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 3 of 36, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I hear you man! I will try to to set up small similar system over weekend and will let you know my findings. From last time I've tried GF6600 on BX motherboard I had zero issues as far as I remember.

btw, is graphics card working correctly in other systems? Looks like GPU/MEM problems...

cheers
classicvga

Reply 5 of 36, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have Leadtek WinFast 6600GT card, could she be? I tried with the Asus A7V600-X, but without success: after the 3DM2k1 benchmark launch only the black screen, even when the demo starts the PC restarts. Probably some incompatibility between the motherboard and the graphics, but I'll try it on the MSI KT4AV, which I used to run it on until recently.

Edit 23.9.2021: I don't see any of your problems on the system with KT400A and GF6600GT, the driver from your link caused a PC shutdown problem (restarts instead of shutting down), but graphically everything is fine.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    Filename
    driver.jpg
    File size
    43.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3DM2K1.jpg
    Filename
    3DM2K1.jpg
    File size
    95.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3DM2K1a.jpg
    Filename
    3DM2K1a.jpg
    File size
    97.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3DM2K1b.jpg
    Filename
    3DM2K1b.jpg
    File size
    133.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 36, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ve tried quickly Biostar 6MTBA 440BX Intel 550MHz with GeForce 6200LE 256MB because it's the only card from 6series to have AGP Universal connector in my collection. And I must admit I can't get it working properly under Win98SE. Used only Forceware 81.98. Freezin, unable to boot etc,
But I am quite sure that GF6XXX series worked mostly on my Athlon s462 systems without issues. Will try over weekend if I find more time.

Last edited by classicvga on 2021-09-24, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 36, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had those artifacts myself on Windows 98 with a working 6800 card.
If I remember correctly, the best driver for Win98 (when using these cards specifically) was either 77.72 or 71.84. So try those and see if the issue is solved.

Now, what people don't realize is that GeForce 6xxx support in Win98/Me is very dependent on the motherboard/platform you have, that's why it can work a bit better for some people when all the stars align. It's clear that nVIDIA didn't give a flying rat's ass about Win98/Me at that point.
For ultra overkill Win98/Me gaming I recommend the ATI Radeon X8xx series, it's much more compatible - although it also has its quirks, particularly with older titles.

Last edited by bloodem on 2021-09-24, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 9 of 36, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar issue with 3Dmark2001 when using a Matrox G400 MAX. I solved it by updating to the latest drivers.

I recommend using 3Dmark2000 instead, IMO it's better and less buggy than 3Dmark2001, and gives a better and faster way of knowing if the card is glitching or not.
Usually you can tell a card is faulty just by looking how it behaves in the desktop. For ex.: by moving around a few windows, changing resolution ecc...

Reply 10 of 36, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
classicvga wrote on 2021-09-24, 09:30:

I ve tried quickly Biostar 6MTBA 440BX Intel 550MHz with GeForce 6200LE 256MB because it's the only card from 6series to have AGP Universal connector in my collection. And I must admit I can't get it working properly under Win98SE. Used only Forceware 81.98. Freezin, unable to boot etc,
But I am quite sure that GF6XXX series worked mostly on my Athlon s462 systems without issues. Will try over weekend if I find more time.

The GeForce 6200 le AGP is an turbocache video card.
Turbocache based video cards are very unstable under win9x and may not work properly at all unless you denote the video card as basic display adaptor with no 3d acceleration using the hardware vga acceleration slider under display adapters option to force the driver with basic video functions.

Use non turbocache models of the Nvidia 6 & 7 series and the gpu should work without problems. I would personally use the Nvidia forceware 7x.xx
& below drivers as others stated the new one's introduced alot of bugs & issues.

You may need to inf ID mod the older drivers in order to have windows to detect and install video driver for your card.

Reply 12 of 36, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-24, 23:28:

That's interesting. How can I confirm whether my 6600 uses Turbocache?

GF6600/LE/GT was not produced with Turbo Cache, you don't have to worry. This was the domain of cheap office graphics for occasional play.

Reply 13 of 36, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try the old "rename the 3Dmark executable" trick in case it's a cheat to score higher.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 36, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested card on xp yet? that benchmark should be compatible if only to see if its the hardware at fault.
If system BIOS allows 8x AGP selecting 4x may make it more stable.
I always have double the system ram than the GPU has as minimum.

Reply 15 of 36, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From observation: All Nvidia card with HSI bridge (PCIe-to-AGP) have some problems with Intel 440BX and VIA chipsets (except really late ones). With 440BX it's almost certain and with VIA it's more random.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17 of 36, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested this card today on Windows XP with driver version 307.83 on a Socket 775 without any problems. I also tested it with Windows ME again but on this same Socket 775 motherboard and there was no graphical corruption.

I'm not sure what the problem is but it may be some interaction with these older chipsets.

Reply 19 of 36, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the list is endless with the possibilities eliminating them all is a pain.
a socket 775 chipset shouldn't be old enough to be an issue unless theres a power supply or cap issue.
Or even hard disk and memory.
Even ones without bulges can be dry so if you can run a microfarad multimeter test on your capacitors at least there will be no fire.
generally power supply would be worn out if its over 10 years old i always replace mine ever 5 - 8 years. (least tollerance to spikes and line interference)
And mine are minimum 500 watts to guarantee minimum 320 watts
electromagnetic intereference is the primary concern for retro electronics if the noise suppresion wears out its gonna play up
when i recapped a motherboard in 2015 i purchased a slot in soundcard noise suppression device knowing it would be a useless piece of quackery it did stop the replaced caps from bulging by ganging up with them damn socket 478 generation .... sold it on facebook with a benchmark and the dude who bought it from me was surprised. even display cards man they need their caps checked even solid caps can be dry.
I have my dual p3 Via Apollo 133a with an Nvidia 6600GT plugged in runs happily passed all benches and test i could throw at x4 sideband speed (8x card) but i wouldn't use discrete gpu's GT's have molex connector to supply the GPU so theres no weird voltage problems.
Intermittant faults like yours can also be poorly seated system ram chips. My p3 uses a SATA 150 card so ribbon cables don't cause memory bank malfunctions in the small space.
If that is the case I'd recommend whilst verifying with memory tester (working) a dab of hot glue on the ram locks and also on anything lockless SATA cables.
Also, a thorough surface scan of your hard disk not only shows up any bad sectors but does write testing to refresh your disks platter.
I could keep going but this is turning into an entire novel!
ok a little more: power connectors become worn especially when many parts been pulled an installed a little bit of plug back in and a little pressure on the cables to ensure they are connected inside the plugs sometimes they plug in but the pins only connect half way.
Ribbon calbes are a real pain with old disks is why i now use only sata with 9x support which means any disk up to 3tb can be used without AHCI support.
Even so I recommend lockable SATA cables and if you have pci cards without lock tabs its glue gun or vibrate off.
Hot glue because its easy to peel off like a sticker.