VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to CD/DVD in a retro-system, the DVD1640 was my favorite drive.
It's very very silent in CD and DVD mode. None other drive I have is nearly as silent then these.
Over the years I have bought about 10-12 DVD1640 drives.

All! have the same issue now! Drive is reading fine, but the drive-bay NEVER! opens. You have to use the "manuell eject" via small metal nail.

What is the problem here, how is the "open drive bay" implemented in this drive.

That's a stupid failure!

https://www.philips.de/c-p/DVDR1640K_00/16x-dvd-brenner

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 8, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anything happen at all when you push the button? Does eject from software work?

I had a drive that wouldn't open because of a slipping belt, but you could hear the motor turning when the eject button was pushed.

Reply 2 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That depends, one some I can hear a motor spin-up, on some I can hear nothing.
I am sure that it is a "design-failure" because all drives have the same issue.
it's only the "open-command" closing does work via button.

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So it will automatically close, but not open?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found that drive in an old PC.
Thought, oh nice drive. Interesting front design.

But, same error.
Curious about the cause, I tried to open it.
Was unable to open the door even using the emergency eject hole.
So I had to brutally pry it open.
If I remember correctly, it had some rubber belt for opening door.

Garbage! Tossed it into the e-trash.

Maybe it is some deterioration issue? Now in Germany the heating period began, air is warm and dry. Maybe this has influence too?

Reply 5 of 8, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

99% of all occurences of this issue can be solved by doing the following:

1) disassemble the drive cover to the point where you have the top cover removed
2) with the tray belt/pulley mechanism visible, remove the belt
3) with the belt removed, clean both the pulley grooves (both the large and small pulleys) with acetone and a cotton swab
4) proceed to "de-glaze" the belt by wetting a paper towel with acetone, by holding the wet part of the paper towel closed with your thumb and index finger, and then by dragging the belt through. Do this until you no longer see black residue coming off the belt

Gentlemen, please, no comments about acetone and belts. This is a tried and true method i learned from a veteran stereo/vcr or what have you technician and it works great. Don't boil your belts, and don't buy new Chinese belts if you can avoid it. Also, wear gloves for the acetone, and use something a little stronger than nail polish remover, though that should do in a pinch.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could you make a video of it?

The drives are really excellent, but that issue with the tray-opening is really a shame.
If the tray is open the button closes it. So it's only "open" not "close".

Reply 7 of 8, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-10-04, 18:24:

Don't boil your belts.

Just on this, and I've only this one experience of this, I had a Ricoh 7040 (I think) that wouldn't open and I found the belt was loose on the pulleys when I took it out, barely staying in the grooves at all. I put it in a cup of hot water for ~30sec, and saw it shrink back. It was then tight on the pulleys when I put it back in and it's lasted about a year so far. It worked ok for me to get it back to the right size, so if someone doesn't have any acetone to hand then hot water might work as a quick temporary fix. I didn't try acetone, but can imagine that if there's a hardened skin that keeps the belt slightly stretched, then removing that would let the belt shrink back to its proper length and also give it more grip.

Reply 8 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree that a slipping belt is the most common cause of not ejecting. Nevermind...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun