VOGONS

pc chips mainboard M573 resurrection

Topic actions

First post, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello and sorry for my bad English. i have an pc chips m573 mainboard socket 7 (K5 cpu) with bios corruption problem. the board has integrated sound card. After long time of google search i found some bioses and after a lot or tries with different version of bios flash utilities i manage to boot it. But all the bios versions available for download were incorrect despite stating that was for the current m/b version. all are missing the sound card option from the bios. Is any way to inject the sound card enable / disable option in bios with a bios editor or anyone has this model to extract the bios?

Reply 1 of 29, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This page has a BIOS dated 4/30/98; it's the only BIOS they have for it, so I'd presume it's the correct one. https://web.archive.org/web/20061020193316fw_ … d-bios.asp#M573

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 29, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More complete BIOS list:
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/housto … m573/index.html

There are three known releases, and the 4/30/1998 BIOS is the most recent one.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 3 of 29, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nikosgr wrote on 2021-10-03, 21:44:

all are missing the sound card option from the bios. Is any way to inject the sound card enable / disable option in bios with a bios editor or anyone has this model to extract the bios?

Because there is a jumper JP10 to enable onboard sound. The bios option is not necessary.
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/public/motherboard/ … m-M573.html.pdf

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 29, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you all for your answers. i test every bios and also i test a lot of combinations with jumpers, different cpus ram vgas. i use NSSI to check if any audio hardware is detected. I managed only one time to see active the sound card in hundred tries , then i just reboot the pc without any change and the card is missing again. So the final result is that the board it faulty.

Reply 5 of 29, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that is a VIA chipset board? Have you tried cross referencing with with any of the Amptron/Ability/Matsonic boards? It was probably sold under a dozen different names than PC Chips, but they are all the same board.

Might be worth looking into, you might just have the wrong BIOS for whatever particular board you happen to have.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-10-05, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 29, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try a few other BIOSes for the 580VPX chipset (that's the chipset on the M573), just make sure to match the Super I/O chip.

I've also added those BIOSes from elhvb on UH19.
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/4165

EDIT: for the OP, a photo of the board would be appreciated.

Reply 7 of 29, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nikosgr wrote on 2021-10-05, 16:44:

thank you all for your answers. i test every bios and also i test a lot of combinations with jumpers, different cpus ram vgas. i use NSSI to check if any audio hardware is detected. I managed only one time to see active the sound card in hundred tries , then i just reboot the pc without any change and the card is missing again. So the final result is that the board it faulty.

Jumper 10 is used to turn on/off the onboard sound card (CMI 8330) - if the pins are free, it is on. With the link - off.

Attachments

• m573.jpg
    Filename
    m573.jpg
    File size
    284.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 29, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the only explanation i can think is a mess with the bios files of this board. The bios files on internet are messed with 2 other similar types the M537 and M537DMA33 using the same chipset but missing the onboard audio. The uploaders maybe they have not noticed the differences and named it wrong because the bios id near identical.

Reply 10 of 29, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This BIOS should be for your board, M573. Drivers for the sound card you tried installing?
When booting, you should see the card loaded in POST :

Attachments

• Filename
    5730430s.zip
    File size
    107.8 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • isa.jpg
    Filename
    isa.jpg
    File size
    37.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 430s 128.jpg
    Filename
    430s 128.jpg
    File size
    182.25 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 29, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all bioses are for other motherboard m537dma. i have try all of them.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 29, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post a photo of the entire board and revision? There have been several revisions and even models whose ID string is the same, making it difficult to find the right BIOS for the board.
Also, try to contact the member Errius who owned the M573 in 2017 and may still have it and may be able to provide you with the bios.

Reply 13 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nikosgr wrote on 2021-10-05, 18:32:

jumper j10

That was the first thing i have try but nothing. No multimedia device on PCI list or any sign of audio device on hardware info utilities.

That is not a PCI device 😮

PC Chips stuck a "PCI" label onto the chip, but the CMI-8330 is an ISA (PnP) chip. You should see it pop up in the PnP section of POST, but apart from that, treat as any other ISA device.

Reply 14 of 29, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more bios for the mainboard. Of course if you have a programmer.
https://web.archive.org/web/19991009131907/ht … duct/mb5730.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/19980524092055/ht … 5730_board_bios

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 16 of 29, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2021-10-11, 07:59:

Can you post a photo of the entire board and revision? There have been several revisions and even models whose ID string is the same, making it difficult to find the right BIOS for the board.
Also, try to contact the member Errius who owned the M573 in 2017 and may still have it and may be able to provide you with the bios.

i can not contact any person because i am a new user but after lots of testing hours i am convinced that the board is faulty.

Reply 17 of 29, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's weird. NSSI identifies BIOS as M537DMA, yet there's 573+ITE8661F in BIOS ID string, so 0430s should really be designed for this board (M573).
What do you see on the initial screen at the bottom, I mean BIOS ID - can you take a photo?

Reply 19 of 29, by nikosgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2021-10-13, 09:18:

Have you tried installing any OS and checked if the the sound chip is detected?
I wouldn´t rely on NSSI alone.

dos 6.22, win 95, win 98
with original sound drivers dos & win from bundled cd and other from internet. no audio hardware is present