Topic actions

Reply 20 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-10-05, 09:19:

you missed the "Europe" part didn't you? ^^

also at least where I live electronics recyclers are off limits, can't get anything there.

Same here. The last recycler that sold to the public that I know of anywhere near me closed over 5 years ago.

I don't have any places near me that sells any vintage/retro gear that I know of. Local marketplaces are just as bad.

Every once in a while a thrift store might have something but nothing good ever really pops up anymore.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 46, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I live in Slovenia and here there are hardly any real retro PC parts that date before year 1999 to be found. There are loads of socket A and up or socket 478 and up in clasiffieds and our local online thrift portal but for me this are already winXP era stuff even though many of such systems can run win98 realy good ...i already run a dual boot win98/xp on 478... however for me this realy is not retro vibe. For that matter i have tons of pc parts that are dated y2k or younger.
Also here we cant browse local recyclers or dump sorting stations as it not alowed so if one wants to get some dos/win3-98 era parts ebay is basically only place to go.

P.s.
Thanks for tradera.com tip. I found socket 7 motherboard with AGP slot there that i have my eye on...will try to win the bid. Curently its 10€+ shipping and if i succed it will be paired with geforce 256 32mb.

Reply 22 of 46, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blitz_25 wrote on 2021-10-05, 14:02:

I live in Slovenia and here there are hardly any real retro PC parts that date before year 1999 to be found. There are loads of socket A and up or socket 478 and up in clasiffieds and our local online thrift portal but for me this are already winXP era stuff even though many of such systems can run win98 realy good ...i already run a dual boot win98/xp on 478... however for me this realy is not retro vibe. For that matter i have tons of pc parts that are dated y2k or younger.

Well, if you need working pre-Y2K models then I agree with you: it's not easy to find working ones in Taiwan (where most MB of that era were made), let alone in Slovenia. I was very lucky when I saw that Asus TXP4 + P-MMX 233 in a pile of e-waste mostly mid- to late-2000's stuff like C2D and AX2.

I just checked electromyne in Germany but their prices and selections of graphics cards are not exactly ideal.

I wish there were more places like RE·PC in Seattle, WA; Metal Jesus' video has shown the place bigger than all those brick'n'mortar stores in Taipei combined.

Reply 23 of 46, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do regular cheks on electromyne and their prices are to put mildly very high from the set-on and good parts are sold right away then again "same" hardware gets even more expensive after biding is done on sites like ebay so in the end you find parts to be cheaper on electromyne direct buy if you're fast enough then elswhere.

Reply 24 of 46, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-05, 13:22:

Tradera seems to have some okay stuff on it from time to time, better for Europeans I'd think, https://www.tradera.com/en/category/340854

I've bought a lot of vid cards this year, even though I shouldn't be buying anything really, most I've paid is $20 each for 3 NIB 6200 PCI off eBay, down to a buck each for a HD6450 and 8400GT locally, with 9600AIW, Banshee, 128Pro, 128AIW, RageProAIW, Radeon 9250, GF2 MX400 all somewhere in between. Crap that's about $100, then I guess another $100 on 2 systems, 30 sticks of RAM, 4 CPU, 3 i/o, 2 NIC, 6 HDD, 3 ODD, 2 floppy, 2 speaker sets, 2 soundcards ... think I overcompensated for being cooped up for a year.

Edit: Okay I just turned around and there's a CT4810 calling me a liar, 3 soundcards. Yup, definitely time to stop for the year when you're forgetting stuff you bought.

You live in a better area then myself, I haven't seen prices like that in about 3 years unless I find something that isn't listed correctly.

Reply 25 of 46, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

really depends what you consider low cost. prices are stupid now for everything. everyone is trying to get that free biden money...

dionb wrote on 2021-10-04, 12:19:

Low cost? TNT2-M64 PCI should fit the bill, or a Gf2MX PCI.

Good DirectX and OpenGL support, and dirt cheap (at least when compared to any 3dfx)

this is what I would do. theres not many better alternitives that offer this much compatibility. for a pci only platform on a slow rig on a budget. The other alternitives are expensive but you might be able to score a Diamond PCI rendition, or a savage 4 PCI which would be fine for that CPU cuz your not playing any games that require more features or really more horsepower. The CPU will be the bottle neck in that rig.

Reply 26 of 46, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sis6326 available in PCI and AGP i always see cheap ,works on AGP 2X 4X 8X (dvd version 8x compat) systems not too fancy played lemmings in dos. comes with 2mb 4mb 8mb vram some DVD 3D multimedia versions as well but they AGP only. Ideal entry level to retro GPU and a faithful to fall back on.
seen for about $8 US on eBay

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-10-11, 12:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 46, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be aware that GeForce exists with 32Bit Memory Interface for PCI.
I grabbed one Years ago and it was actually slower as TNT2 M64..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 29 of 46, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2021-10-06, 17:01:

PCI cards of any chip from that time are prone to this. SiS 305 comes to my mind. Stay on guard.

Reply 30 of 46, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What model of Geforce are you talking about?

Reply 31 of 46, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-10-07, 08:28:

It wasn't me, but I've heard some models of MX4000 exist in 32bit.
Just looking it up, the MSI MX4000-T64 and the Sparkle SP7310M4PCI-T are two of these abominations.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 32 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to play DX5/6 games, then you the card should support table-fog and 8Bit-palettized textures.
The ATI ragePro should do that and is cheap, but if performance is too bad, you have to look elesewhere.
Don't know if the old nvidia cards riva128/tnt/tnt2 do that, but I prefer a good image quality far over the
best fps, so nvidia is out for me in this point.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 33 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-06, 06:14:

sis6326 available in PCI and AGP i always see cheap ,works on AGP 2X 4X 8X systems not too fancy played lemmings in dos. comes with 2mb 4mb 8mb vram some DVD 3D multimedia versions as well but they AGP only. Ideal entry level to retro GPU and a faithful to fall back on.

SiS6326 AGP is really slow and is AGP2x, so not possible to put these in an AGP8x slot (unless you used a hacksaw).
Don't think I ever experimented with a PCI version of this card but I can't imagine it being any faster 😜
I can see how it can be seen as dependable, but I'd probably only opt to use one if I have virtually no other alternatives. I think I used to use one of these as my standard testing AGP card.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 46, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-11, 12:12:
SiS6326 AGP is really slow and is AGP2x, so not possible to put these in an AGP8x slot (unless you used a hacksaw). Don't think […]
Show full quote

sis6326 available in PCI and AGP i always see cheap ,works on AGP 2X 4X 8X systems not too fancy played lemmings in dos. comes with 2mb 4mb 8mb vram some DVD 3D multimedia versions as well but they AGP only. Ideal entry level to retro GPU and a faithful to fall back on.

SiS6326 AGP is really slow and is AGP2x, so not possible to put these in an AGP8x slot (unless you used a hacksaw).
Don't think I ever experimented with a PCI version of this card but I can't imagine it being any faster 😜
I can see how it can be seen as dependable, but I'd probably only opt to use one if I have virtually no other alternatives. I think I used to use one of these as my standard testing AGP card.

Ah the dvd edition is marketed to being AGP 2X - 8X ty I should've spoken more clearly.
Most of the fastest GPU's for AGP are dead I mean in the rubbish done their bit. Ones left aren't worth their price.
In relevance to the thread I speak of them as entry level and something to fall back on I personally know the chip itself is designed for AGP and runs warmer than PCI version but is good enough to throw away tridents and currus cards for good. AGP slot version is faster and I used it in 2x AGP mode in a 4x slot.
PCI version I found a hacked driver to run as second monitor on a mobo with chrome chipset graphics in 2007 (the whql was a forgery to allow dual monitors)
I've used a 16mb AGP and a 8mb PCI version I added a heatsink on the PCI it felt a bit warm but it was still better than cirrus logic and trident. Whilst trident and cirrus are gone sis6326 is still a better start. found on ebay without a spline cheaper than a second hand trident pci.
although i know AGP is faster my primary focus here is PCI and I stand by my opinion.

Reply 35 of 46, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-10-07, 09:22:
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-10-07, 08:28:

It wasn't me, but I've heard some models of MX4000 exist in 32bit.
Just looking it up, the MSI MX4000-T64 and the Sparkle SP7310M4PCI-T are two of these abominations.

Oh man sparkle I had one once it was terrible I still have a PCIE no one wants it.

Reply 36 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-11, 12:33:
SiS6326 AGP is really slow and is AGP2x, so not possible to put these in an AGP8x slot (unless you used a hacksaw). Don't think […]
Show full quote

Ah the dvd edition is marketed to being AGP 2X - 8X ty I should've spoken more clearly.

The SiS6326DVD is also an AGP2x card.
I have my doubts that anyone would have marketed this card as an AGP 8x card (and I mean like a real old fashioned retail seller and not one of those sellers that doesn't know what they are selling or mislabeled their advertisement etc).
Which SiS 6326 DVD card are you referring to then?

Report spammers here!

Reply 37 of 46, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-11, 18:10:
The SiS6326DVD is also an AGP2x card. I have my doubts that anyone would have marketed this card as an AGP 8x card (and I mean l […]
Show full quote

I have my doubts that anyone would have marketed this card as an AGP 8x card (and I mean like a real old fashioned retail seller and not one of those sellers that doesn't know what they are selling or mislabeled their advertisement etc).

Its on saale eBay right now DVD version - 2x to 8x have a look 🤣

As i remember I had them once on a slot one pentium II i ran dos, win 98 and win xp with it all windows have driver support except windows 3.x and below.

Reply 38 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-12, 02:48:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-11, 18:10:
The SiS6326DVD is also an AGP2x card. I have my doubts that anyone would have marketed this card as an AGP 8x card (and I mean l […]
Show full quote

Its on saale eBay right now DVD version - 2x to 8x have a look 🤣

As i remember I had them once on a slot one pentium II i ran dos, win 98 and win xp with it all windows have driver support except windows 3.x and below.

And what's the exact model number of the card you're seeing? so we can check using a more unbiased source 😜

So it's a seller that either doesn't know what they are selling or a seller who just enters in all kinds of search terms to make his product seem more interesting? And not one of the original manufacturers or original retailers but like a recent reseller that's selling this as old hardware? I'm totally not surprised.
We could easily fill up an entire thread in which individual hardware component advertisements are sold with an incorrect title/incorrectly labeled and your example is one of those. I'm kinda surprised you weren't aware of this. I mean just go back to your Ebay saale advertisement, look up the pic and if the card is really the SiS6326 AGP (regardless of whether or not it's the "DVD version"), it will be AGP 2x

You really shouldn't take the information from an Ebay advertisement for truth so easily.

Btw, I actually went to Ebay myself and searched with 'SiS 6326 AGP' and literally every SiS 6326 AGP card it showed me was AGP 2x and this is because the SiS 6326 AGP (inclucing the DVD variant) is an AGP 2x card and it will never typically fit an AGP 8x slot regardless of what this one seller of yours claimed. I'm really surprised you didn't catch on from all the other pics of the SiS 6326 on Ebay, or seemed to just not give it a second thought.

Not that it matters that much btw, the SiS 6326 is basically really that unremarkable 😜

At my work we actually used the SiS 6326 with Win XP (don't ask 🤣) and it even had trouble drawing the windows on the desktop, it was that slow 🤣!

EDIT: After some more looking apparently I hadn't looked close enough. One card labeled as "AGP-6326-TV9P-8M" apparently does have an AGP 4x connector, but I couldn't find the model number printed onto the PCB itself (seems like the pic is wrong). Some quick googling of the model number didn't give me any addition information I could use except for that single pic. I presume the card with this model number is different from the one in the pic.

Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 46, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm not going further with it one mans meat is anothers poison and I won't feed the scalpers with models. hint: go for the most modern memory chips installed. (cred card thichness rectangle ones)
as far as bios theres an after release version floating around but may need to be model specific or tuned to memory latency.
But for AGP if anyone wants cheap agp there is SIS 315 still floating around its got shader engine.