VOGONS

dgvoodoo2 Indeo support

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, for Nocturne, without DgVoodoo 2, the videos play fine on Windows 10 with compatibility mode on (Windows 98/Me), but the max resolution you can get is 640x480

The DDraw.dll file causes the no intro/video problem, I just tested it. The other 3 files (D3D8.dll, D3D9.dll and D3DImm.dll) don't change anything, the videos will play but no higher resolution. As soon as you copy the DDraw.dll, no more videos but you can select higher resolutions.

Reply 22 of 28, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I understand that, so what solution we can apply to get the video working + get higher resolution ?

Also, in dgVoodoo's config file, there is this line/feature : EnableGDIHooking = false

The comment says (just above the line) :

; EnableGDIHooking: If enabled then dgVoodoo hooks GDI to be able to render graphical contents
; (like movie playback through the ancient Windows Multimedia AVI player library)
; rendered through GDI - experimental feature, for the time being it's implemented
; only for DX emulation

I tried to put the value to true instead of false and nothing changed, videos still don't play.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-04-28, 06:45:

Noctune uses GDI for the intro video.

Reply 25 of 28, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tested this DDraw wrapper (along with dgVoodoo 2 other 3 .dll files) with Nocturne and I can confirm that the intro video plays now and I can select higher resolutions in the video option 😀

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat.

The latest version of the wrapper/file is 0.30.

The person also talks about other fixes for other old games with this file here : https://www.gog.com/forum/general/ddrawcompat … w_wrapper/page1

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-04-28, 12:59:

You have to wait an update for dgVoodoo2, or use something else.

Reply 26 of 28, by svk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-04-28, 19:19:

intro video plays now

Thanks for the link - https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases
Tested on CMR 2.0 and Destruction Derby 2, via dgVoodoo2, for win10 - the video works.

Reply 28 of 28, by ArhumMK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2019-02-21, 03:00:

I tried Win98 compatibility mode, but the bug with videos remains; the game hangs when the playback is supposed to start until I press F3 2 times. The intro video is the exception.

With Compatibility Administrator, I can redirect reads/writes to PANZERDG.INI wherever I feel like and in the process also remove dependence on Windows' file/registry virtualization feature, which I've seen bug out in the past under certain circumstances.

This bug does not occur if you switch "AVI Size" in the game settings to "Normal". But now the video will be small and in the top left corner for, don't really know why and how to fix this.
(Screenshot is using Stretched, keep aspect ratio scaling)

P.S. Do you know if there's a way to make the game truly portable? i.e. move PanzerUS.dll, PANZERDG.INI to the game install directory? I am trying to make a pre-patched repack of the game that runs out of the box on win 10 (as it's abandonware)
The only obstacles so far is this weird video playback bug and CD audio emulation; DxWnd's winmm.dll is the only one that works for this game but audio playback is messed up if you pause during gameplay a few times.

Attachments