VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I purchased a tested and verified (Diamond) Voodoo 2 8MB from electromyne in Germany. It got delivered today, and I immediately noticed a severely bent pin on one of the texture units within about 2 seconds of opening the package. It was super obvious -- I don't know how they could have missed it:

9F695726-BDBC-4E99-9EA4-797C0FD128C3.jpg
Filename
9F695726-BDBC-4E99-9EA4-797C0FD128C3.jpg
File size
538.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3ACC8BD6-5491-47BA-85B3-EE171E12A464.jpg
Filename
3ACC8BD6-5491-47BA-85B3-EE171E12A464.jpg
File size
222.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I know they said they tested it and it was fully working -- so I figured, okay, I'm sure it was fine when it was packaged. It must have happened in shipping. The box showed no real signs of being mishandled, but who knows. I've checked it with the meter, and that pin is shorted with the two pins to the right of it. I can't tell if there is still continuity with the chip inside the plastic housing or not -- it's really mangled. I'm 100% if I try to bend that back it will break off at the chip -- if it isn't already. Solder joint with the PCB is questionable. I don't want to push too hard on the leg so I haven't done the wiggle test. In other words, it's not good.

That's when I saw it:

946B1D3B-AD8E-4F55-B276-B73D84CB4169.jpg
Filename
946B1D3B-AD8E-4F55-B276-B73D84CB4169.jpg
File size
333.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

There's no way THAT happened in shipping. Dead short to ground. No way this tested OK.

I'm not sure what to do. Even if they agree to take the return I'm out $30 for shipping. Super disheartened -- this was for the compaq that won't disable the onboard graphics. I don't know if I should try to fix it or not -- at the least I'm probably looking for a parts card for a texture unit, and I'm not sure where I'd find a schematic that lists what capacity that cap is. Anyone know what value C3 is supposed to be on a Diamond Monster 3D II?

Buyer beware on electromyne. They obviously don't test, even when the listing says they do.

Reply 1 of 44, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As you say, bending that leg back will likely do more harm than good. Maybe it can be saved by wedging a very thin piece of non-conductive material between the legs, allowing the pin to remain bent while avoiding a short.
Got nothing to lose by trying that (assuming you don't return it). Just my .02

Last edited by Snover on 2022-06-23, 16:34. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 83235

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 2 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the broken Voodoo on top of the $30 shipping?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 44, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use a paper cutter. Slowly push it between the pins and move the bent one back to it's position. I've done it several times - on Voodoo cards too.

Were there original photos of the card on eBay? Bent pin can be seen and the blown cap too.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 44, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-10-06, 22:53:
ODwilly wrote on 2021-10-06, 22:51:

I hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the broken Voodoo on top of the $30 shipping?

It was $140

So $170 total shipped for a non working Voodoo 2? I'm gonna say hell to the no, just return it. I see working ones for sale for less than that all the time, the 12 MB versions even. You shouldn't be on the hook for return shipping. Did you pay with a credit card? If the seller is non cooperative, just dispute the charge with your credit card company. That's what they're there for. You paid for a tested working item and received a damaged one.

Don't waste your time on a fix which has a good chance of not working or completely killing the card.

Reply 6 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brawndo wrote on 2021-10-06, 23:30:
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-10-06, 22:53:
ODwilly wrote on 2021-10-06, 22:51:

It was $140

So $170 total shipped for a non working Voodoo 2? I'm gonna say hell to the no, just return it. I see working ones for sale for less than that all the time, the 12 MB versions even. You shouldn't be on the hook for return shipping. Did you pay with a credit card? If the seller is non cooperative, just dispute the charge with your credit card company. That's what they're there for. You paid for a tested working item and received a damaged one.

Don't waste your time on a fix which has a good chance of not working or completely killing the card.

It was $140 delivered. The $30 I’ll be out is the cost to send it back to Germany.

In other news the pad on that cap is partially lifted 😢

Reply 7 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-10-06, 23:15:

Just use a paper cutter. Slowly push it between the pins and move the bent one back to it's position. I've done it several times - on Voodoo cards too.

Were there original photos of the card on eBay? Bent pin can be seen and the blown cap too.

They were selling four so the photo wasn't this card. It was either one of the others or a stock photo. Listing promised they were verified working before being shipped out. Electromyne is supposedly a reputable recycler in Germany so I figured it would be okay.

Lots of idiots trying to seep voodoo 2s for 350-500 on eBay right now... This was the only one that was "reasonably" priced. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought from out of the country or from a seller that didn't show photos of the exact card.

There's one for $80 but it's in terrible shape. The rest are insane!

Reply 9 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-07, 01:29:

Was this ebay? If the item is not as described on ebay the seller is responsible for shipping both ways

Hopefully they dont fight it.

I mean it's garbage anyway so the ideal situation would be if they told me to go ahead and try to fix it and if it doesn't work they will refund it. I've got a hot air station so I could pull the chip and have a look.

Replacing the cap is trivial if I know what value it is. It would probably need a bodge to +5v but no way to know until I got the cap off and could see the condition of the pad.

Reply 10 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-10-06, 23:15:

I've done this before too, but never with a pin this badly bent before. It doesn't show that well in the pictures, but looking at it in person the leg is bent 90 degrees where it comes out of the plastic package (pushed in towards the chip) From above the pin looks like it's missing entirely. Doesn't stick out at all.

Reply 12 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, contact them about it. They should either let you keep it without having to return it or cover the return shipping.

I, for sure, would not be paying return shipping on an obviously physically damaged part.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 44, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's obvious to me they never checked or tested it before sending it to You.
Send it back, maybe You can get them to pay shipping . Their reputation is on the line.
Personally I have had no issues with them.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 14 of 44, by Backfire_67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also think that the seller has really ripped you off. The damage to the capacitor looks as if something has come into contact with it and that could have cost the Gendac chip its life.
I have repaired tons of Voodoo 2 cards and know these problems well.
If the seller will reimburse you for the damage, it's probably a good idea to try to repair it. Because even if it looks bad, it can be done.

- Backfire -

PS:
The damage at the pins, bend and scratches shows clearly, that it is not caused due to transport. These are very typical damages caused by storage in a junk box, where the card probably came from and where they tried to sell it for maximum profit. That always pisses me off.

Repair of 3dfx Devices and Soundcards with passion...
Here you can find more

Reply 15 of 44, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, definitely a ripoff... you could manage to straighten those pins if you're careful, but they seem to be really mangled, one looks like it's close to breaking. But even if you fix that, whatever made that capacitor blow up is no good... who knows how many other components are dead.

My theory: they found that card in a junk pile with the pins already bent (this is quite common) and tested it carelessly without trying to bend them back into shape. This probably shorted something and caused the capacitor to pop. Then they put it on sale at $140 instead of the $300 they would have charged if it was working.

If there were only stock photos in the listing and it was said to be "working" then it should be resolved in your favor pretty quickly, make sure you take several pictures of the damage and the packaging. They shouldn't even have the nerve to ask you to send it back and just reimburse cost + shipping right away.

Reply 17 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Return shipping is a net waste of money and time. I'd just start a case for a partial refund, keep the card and try to fix it. If all it's issues are what's on the picture than it's not beyond saving. I always regretted returning a faulty item.

Sometimes sellers, mostly big ones do this. They buy in bulk from recyclers and list their stuff as tested in hopes that they just get away with it. I learned them when buying a "tested and working" Radeon 9700 Pro that ran with artifices from the first time I tried. The first time the asshole tried to convice me that it's caused by the fan and I should disconnect it, I called bullshit, than he tried to blame it on me claiming it worked when he sent it and tested before packing.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 18 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote on 2021-10-07, 03:55:

Send it back, maybe You can get them to pay shipping . Their reputation is on the line.

Sadly no. These kind of sellers sell a lot of junk untested. Most of them are low-end stuff that mostly works, like the Trio3D, TNT2 M64 and other similar. They can afford to sell junk, they'll always be at 98-99% positive feedback.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 19 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exactly. One bad comment won't scuttle their business. If they are a reputable seller they will agree to a refund. Don't buy expensive old electronics. There is no guarantee it will work even if they claim it does. I always buy just very cheap stuff. 98% of it is really working. It if doesn't, I'm not at a loss.

My Voodoo 2 cost me $2. I knew nothing about it, but thought why not try it for that price and it ended up being fully functional.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS