VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
Is there any Win9X driver or driver CD for this card? Also, is there a pure DOS drivers for this card?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope there isn't. It will not work with the regular Audigy 2 ZS 9x or DOS drivers either.

The original driver CD is available on vogonsdrivers:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=813&menustate=0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried that driver CD, but it can not detect my card and the setup fails. What gives?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m not sure, it’s an Inspiron 7000 model (Dell)

Reply 5 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-10-08, 06:45:

I’m not sure, it’s an Inspiron 7000 model (Dell) which is a PII-300MHz, made around 96'~97'.

Reply 6 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-10-09, 01:50:
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-10-08, 06:45:

I’m not sure, it’s an Inspiron 7000 model (Dell) which is a PII-300MHz, made around 96'~97'.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card#CardBus

CardBus are PCMCIA 5.0 or later (JEIDA 4.2 or later) 32-bit PCMCIA devices, introduced in 1995 and present in laptops from late 1997 onward. CardBus is effectively a 32-bit, 33 MHz PCI bus in the PC Card design. CardBus supports bus mastering, which allows a controller on the bus to talk to other devices or memory without going through the CPU. Many chipsets, such as those that support Wi-Fi, are available for both PCI and CardBus.

The notch on the left hand front of the device is slightly shallower on a CardBus device so, by design, a 32-bit device cannot be plugged into earlier equipment supporting only 16-bit devices. Most new slots accept both CardBus and the original 16-bit PC Card devices. CardBus cards can be distinguished from older cards by the presence of a gold band with eight small studs on the top of the card next to the pin sockets.

The speed of CardBus interfaces in 32-bit burst mode depends on the transfer type: in byte mode, transfer is 33 MB/s; in word mode it is 66 MB/s; and in dword (double-word) mode 132 MB/s.

Assuming the above is accurate, a CardBus card would not fully engage into a slot that is not CardBus capable (assuming both the card and slot are spec compliant and undamaged) . That said, the presumed age of the laptop would make it one of the first CardBus capable designs (if it is indeed).

Do you see a CardBus controller entry in Windows Device Manager ? Is the driver for it properly installed ?

If this http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1026830902.pdf is your laptop, it should be CardBus capable, AFAICT .

Reply 7 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh my, the ever amazing darry replies to my message! Really appreciate it man!
OK, yes Win98SE device manager reports:

PCMCIA socket
|______Texas Instruments PCI-1220 Cardbus Controller

And the drivers are installed correctly (no yellow exclamation mark)

The problem that I have is finding the drivers: None of the VOGONS list drivers would find my Audigy2 ZS notbook card.

Reply 8 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-10-09, 04:45:
Oh my, the ever amazing darry replies to my message! Really appreciate it man! OK, yes Win98SE device manager reports: […]
Show full quote

Oh my, the ever amazing darry replies to my message! Really appreciate it man!
OK, yes Win98SE device manager reports:

PCMCIA socket

And the drivers are installed correctly (no yellow exclamation mark)

The problem that I have is finding the drivers: None of the VOGONS list drivers would find my Audigy2 ZS notbook card.

Happy to help, whenever possible .

When the SB0350 is plugged in, do any new entries (unknown device or otherwise) appear in Device Manager ?

I am not very knowledgeable on CardBus, but assuming the card is detected, something like PClList should allow for the identification of device IDs and comparison with those in the driver set that you tried .

If the card is not detected at all when inserted, there is a more fundamental issue than drivers for the card (possibly a bad contact or a hardware defect).

Reply 9 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know, I kind of gave up on it, the ESS onboard card sounds really nice (although I can't use it under PURE DOS mode)

Reply 10 of 10, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-10-09, 22:47:

I know, I kind of gave up on it, the ESS onboard card sounds really nice (although I can't use it under PURE DOS mode)

You wouldn't have been able to use the SB0530 in "pure" DOS too...I have that PCMCIA SB0530 SB card. Do you want me to make an ISO image for you or at least compare it with that on Vogons repository you used? Note that there is a logo on the box "Designed for Windows 2000 & XP" but nothing is mentioned about win98...