VOGONS

Reply 40 of 72, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:25:
Bancho wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:22:

Its fine, There is a fan blowing at those cards and its not like a Matrox M3D is a hot card. It doesn't even come with a heatsink on the chip. No components touching, Plus its a desktop case so the cards are in a vertical position and not horizontal like your case. Its been fine though so I'll continue to have my fun.

That is wonderful news, my friend. Carry on and enjoy! One thing I wonder is how do you actually connect a monitor to the card? Did you cut up your case?

The M3D is a add in 3D Accelerator. It doesn't have a monitor output. It sends its data through the Primary Video Card and outputs through that. I didn't cut anything.

You have a nice system though in the OP. Nice a clean with great hardware.

Last edited by Bancho on 2021-10-08, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 72, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:08:
Correct, my friend - particularly depeding on the height of the components on the card in question as well as adjacent cards. […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-08, 16:46:
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-08, 14:38:

There's not enough clearance for a card to fit in there, even with no bracket, since that slot space is shared with the ISA slot.

incorrect

Correct, my friend - particularly depeding on the height of the components on the card in question as well as adjacent cards.

The components on the ISA and PCI cards are facing each other, so if you have a PCI card with a GPU with a heatsink on it or tall capacitors, it will not fit. This is assuming there's nothing protruding from the ISA card, and the SB16 has tons of capacitors and jumpers all over.

But thanks for trying to sound smug. 😀

mine is sharing the shared slot with an AWE64 gold, fits fine, works fine

Reply 42 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:30:
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:25:
Bancho wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:22:

Its fine, There is a fan blowing at those cards and its not like a Matrox M3D is a hot card. It doesn't even come with a heatsink on the chip. No components touching, Plus its a desktop case so the cards are in a vertical position and not horizontal like your case. Its been fine though so I'll continue to have my fun.

That is wonderful news, my friend. Carry on and enjoy! One thing I wonder is how do you actually connect a monitor to the card? Did you cut up your case?

The M3D is a add in 3D Accelerator. It doesn't have a monitor output. It sends its data through the Primary Video Card and outputs through that. I didn't cut anything.

You have a nice system though in the OP. Nice a clean with great hardware.

You're right, my mistake. I realized that right after I submitted the edit, so I deleted it. You must have had my edit on the screen when you replied.

Last edited by SBLive on 2021-10-08, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 72, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:03:
leonardo wrote on 2021-10-08, 20:30:

Thank you! There's just something about a GHz-class system isn't there? 😀 I just cannot wrap my head around all those fans you've got! Doesn't it get noisy? Of course, noisy is very period correct in a sense - but I'm curious. Are they voltage adjusted? Sleeve bearing? Or do you keep noise-cancelling headphones on when you sit in front of it? 😁

The machine is near-silent, all you hear is just a very, very gentle hum. I'm running Arctic F8 silent fans on 7V instead of 12V so they're running at about 60% of their nominal speeds. The hard drives use fluid-dynamic bearings, so they're silent, too.

That is awesome. I confess I'm always envious of a good fan setup when I see one, because I could never pull one off. Yours also looks nice.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 44 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2021-10-08, 21:34:

That is awesome. I confess I'm always envious of a good fan setup when I see one, because I could never pull one off. Yours also looks nice.

I think it's all about the case, really - then you just fill all the available fan slots and make sure you're orienting them properly for intake and exhaust.

Reply 47 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doogie wrote on 2021-10-08, 22:42:

Fantastic looking build. You always track down *the* perfect case! Well done once again. (mega bonus points for Windows 2000, too)

Thanks, I guess you saw my previous posts on Reddit... 🤣. This one took two years of searching eBay multiple times a day but I gotta say it was worth it!

Reply 48 of 72, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So pristine! Such dedication and investment! It must be great to behold and appreciate after all the effort put in - you should wake up feeling like every day is Christmas for awhile. Really neat and highly thought out.

I still love my scrappy mismatched mongrel systems just as much, but it's a different kind of love. 🤣

Reply 49 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-10-09, 01:04:

So pristine! Such dedication and investment! It must be great to behold and appreciate after all the effort put in - you should wake up feeling like every day is Christmas for awhile. Really neat and highly thought out.

I still love my scrappy mismatched mongrel systems just as much, but it's a different kind of love. 🤣

I think it's very rewarding to enjoy the end result. 😀 Though I also do understand the love for old junkers and such - their junkiness feels endearing and you just love them for what they are.

Reply 50 of 72, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lovely system and I really dig the golden fan grills. It gives the case a little edge, but not as much to make it tacky. Great job! Pretty cool to see a GeForce 3 instead of those common GF2's and GF4's.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 51 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-10-10, 06:50:

Lovely system and I really dig the golden fan grills. It gives the case a little edge, but not as much to make it tacky. Great job! Pretty cool to see a GeForce 3 instead of those common GF2's and GF4's.

Thank you! I think attention to detail makes a big difference. And the GF3 just felt right for a 1GHz Pentium III, GF2 would be underpowered for early 2000s games and a GF4 would just be CPU-bottlenecked.

Reply 52 of 72, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting and nice system.

The GF4 Ti 4200 is nearly on par with GF3. So I think the GF4 Ti series fits well too. Bottlenecked by CPU means additional power for eye candy (e.g. AF and AA) without performance decrease.

I would add a Radeon 8500 to the list of suitable graphics cards for this CPU.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 53 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC-Engineer wrote on 2021-10-11, 13:39:

Interesting and nice system.

The GF4 Ti 4200 is nearly on par with GF3. So I think the GF4 Ti series fits well too. Bottlenecked by CPU means additional power for eye candy (e.g. AF and AA) without performance decrease.

I would add a Radeon 8500 to the list of suitable graphics cards for this CPU.

Thanks! I have a few Abit Siluro GF4's, including several Ti4200s, but the GF3 just feels like a better fit. I'm saving my Ti4600 and Ti4400 cards for my TUSL2-C Tualatin 1.4S build.

Reply 54 of 72, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-10-07, 13:35:

You've got to watch the fans on those old GeForce3 cards. They will burn up in seconds if the fan fails. I had two fans fail on mine. The first time I shut the computer down in time. The second time I didn't and lost the card.

Can confirm, lost my Gigabyte Geforce3 (GF3000D) a very long time ago from that.

Also very nice rig OP.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 56 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-18, 13:50:

This is deftineately a great build I like the gold finish on it Just wish I had access to this kind of pc case all i found was crap 🤣

Yeah finding nice cases in good condition is insanely hard now. I waited 2 years for this one to show up on eBay, fortunately it was NOS and only cost me $200 + shipping.

Reply 57 of 72, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-19, 15:49:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-18, 13:50:

This is deftineately a great build I like the gold finish on it Just wish I had access to this kind of pc case all i found was crap 🤣

Yeah finding nice cases in good condition is insanely hard now. I waited 2 years for this one to show up on eBay, fortunately it was NOS and only cost me $200 + shipping.

Depends on opinion.