VOGONS

First post, by JozMk.II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I used to run Microprose's F-117 2.0 on my 2010 Windows 7 tower PC using DOSBox 0.74. I used Munt to simulate an MT-32, and very much enjoyed the increase in sound quality over the Ad-lib option; Especially the F-117's engine sound. However, my 2010 PC is now in storage, and I now use an MSI PE70 6QE laptop that I purchased in 2016 as my main computer(Running Windows 10). I have Munt installed, and DOSBox 0.74 configured to utilize it, and most of the music and sounds in F-117 work as they did on my older computer, -but- the engine sounds completely different. Rather than sounding like the soothing and fittingly erie hum that I very much enjoyed, it now sounds like a bunch of white noise.

For comparison, here is a video in which you can hear what the engine sounded like on my Windows 7 tower(Not my video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJpsWww-xg&t=330s

And here is a video I recorded in which you can hear what it sounds like on my Windows 10 laptop:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s9VxCOeonUyi … iew?usp=sharing

Can anyone give me tips on what I could do to try to get it to sound like it used to on my Windows 7 tower?

Reply 1 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is really weird! I don't know the game, but it can't be too hard to fix. Is there a settings section in the installer that allows options? Could be maybe digital sound effects playing the engine part, although seems unlikely.

Also, it'd help if you post your MT-32 emulator settings. Just in case it's using 2nd gen and this game doesn't tolerate that. Could be a MUNT bug because the pitch of the notes is so weird. I'll post it in the MUNT thread in case.

Reply 2 of 6, by JozMk.II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A short setup program runs every time the game is started up; It consists of joystick calibration and sound driver selection(EG Roland sound board)

Here's a snip of my Munt synth properties page:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rFoNR6OWDMMW … iew?usp=sharing

Also, what Munt thread are you referring to?

Reply 3 of 6, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Presumably, this is old MT-32 vs. new MT-32 issue (as some say on the Internet, I don't want to quote as googling is easy).

What I don't completely understand is why the game worked fine in early days of munt when it was unable to emulate old-gen MT-32 properly.

@JozMk.II
Could you try it with different ROM set rather then control ROM v1.07?

Reply 4 of 6, by JozMk.II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I didn't get into using Munt playing F-117 in DOSBox until about 2015. Has Munt changed much since then?

I actually do have another ROM set that I tried out, but to no avail; Here's a pic of my ROM list:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZeW_y_DkLyOE … iew?usp=sharing

On a related note, I have a working theory based on listening closely to the old and new engine sounds. Listening to the old sound, it seems that the engine sound is a composite of three component sounds:

1. A smooth, high-pitched whine;
2. A medium-to-low-pitched sound that I can best describe as sounding a bit like many pebbles continuously falling onto a hard surface, each individual pebble creating a 'plok' sound;
3. A sound that's similar to #2('plok' sounds), but lower-pitched and noticably more bassy

My theory is that the #1 sound is working fine(I can still hear it if I listen closely), but that the 'ploks' of the #2 and #3 sounds are now being generated at an enormously higher rate than they were on my old system, thus creating a smoother but louder overall sound that sounds like white noise. I wonder if there's a way to adjust the frequency, sample rate, and other parameters of individual sounds in Munt? Or, heaven forbid, in the F-117 files themselves?

Reply 5 of 6, by JozMk.II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well son of a gun. I gave the CM32L ROMs a try and it sounds just like it used to now! The roms were included with several other MT-32 roms when I downloaded them, but I assumed they were for a different sound card and so never tried them in Munt up until now! Shows how much I really know about ROMs and sound cards haha.

Thanks for the help, Spikey and sergm!