VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I present you the ACTION REWIND - a clone card of the original IBM PC Action Replay card

P59BmeI.jpg

Tc61MGB.jpg

wY1xVQF.jpg

UsAOFeG.jpg

IKxPxQJ.jpg

CBqoenC.jpg

xmdAJ31.jpg

uwH8DPE.jpg

yMC4FoZ.jpg

90CnhXU.jpg

QAf2TpH.jpg

It is basically the same card that LGR showcases here: https://youtu.be/usaioMbE8EQ - except it is newly made and uses a cpld to re-create the discrete PAL chipset of the original - reverse engineered by JimWest.
The rom version installed is the latest v4.8 one that worked with the original action replay chipset.
You can use all functions of the Action Replay software - for all intents and purposes this clone card will work the same as the original card.

There is a domed sticker in every bracket so one can't mistake the port for a serial one and the control board is made friendly to be cased (in case someone designs a 3d printed enclosure or something).

I have made a simple website for this card that also contains purchase info: http://action-rewind.eu
Price is 85eur shipped worldwide via registered airmail, cards come fully assembled with a 180cm cable for the control board.

Thanks for looking! 😀

Last edited by keropi on 2021-12-05, 14:44. Edited 2 times in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 48, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ooohhh... I might just get one of these!

Is it possible to buy one without the cable for a bit cheaper? Pretty sure I have a good number of db9 cables already.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 48, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, magnificent!

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 3 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-09, 21:42:

Ooohhh... I might just get one of these!

Is it possible to buy one without the cable for a bit cheaper? Pretty sure I have a good number of db9 cables already.

if we deduct the cable cost and shipping difference it is possible to reduce by 5eur
the cable is just a DB9 male-male 1:1 one

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 48, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@keropi
Always making nice stuff for our beloved machines 😀
Many thanks to you and to the involved people!

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 6 of 48, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice work. looks cool. kind of like softice, a lot of stuff had anti-ar code back int he day.

fun card tho! I might have to get one to mess with 😀

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 8 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2021-10-10, 16:55:

What happens if you accidentally plug a serial cable into this?

a cable? nothing 😀
but if said cable is connected to something it might not appreciate the AR pinout and signals
so it is better not to make experiments 🤣
one more extra step is that connector is female so it rules out mice for example (which is the most common serial peripheral nowdays)

Reply 9 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Serial stuff can take or make +/- 25 Volts though, so it won't be the serial equipment getting damaged I think. Something powered from the port though like a serial mouse, I wouldn't think anything would happen. Not sure if "just" a cable might be damaging though because it might short DTR to DSR or other status lines to tie them high or low for whatever protocol, handshaking or number of wires.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

to anyone that expressed interest in the card please allow me some more time
I bought the wrong db9 pcb connector and I am currently waiting for the correct one to arrive... 😑

Reply 11 of 48, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few strange questions, feel free to ignore or answer via PM if you don't want to spill any "company secrects". Is that EPM7128STC100? Last time I checked it was rather difficult to buy in any decent amounts (100+) and still kinda expensive for what it is. Not to mention already obsoleted by Altera/Intel so most likely out of production. But it's the only reasonably modern part that has 5V I/O so I guess this was the main reason it was selected for the job?
What I'm trying to say here is, and that's especially with the chip shortage we have right now, you don't expect to make all that many of those - or do you have a secret source for these parts? I had some ideas based on MAX 7000 series but "Discontinued Products" made me rethink it.

Reply 12 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it is indeed the EPM7128STC100 cpld, I have a stock of them left from other projects
it worked fine in this case because the port of the original action replay chipset was made with the altera sdk
so it was a win-win situation 😁

Reply 13 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*finally* the correct DB9 connectors arrived:

0PeWHwU.png

so this thing can actually be purchased now 😀
everyone that completed the form and is on the list will get an email in the following days, thanks!!! 😀

Reply 17 of 48, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As if the cloning and recreation of such a product wasn't awesome enough, you also clearly went through great effort to make the PCBs look so clean and elegant.

Great job!

It's not a priority for me to get one of these right now, but I'm sure they're going to sell like hotcakes.

Reply 18 of 48, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it perhaps possible to use the original controller dongle with this rewinded card ? 😅

And given the identical software/firmware, I suppose it all still refuses to cooperate with say QEMM memory manager etc ?

Reply 19 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:39:

Is it perhaps possible to use the original controller dongle with this rewinded card ? 😅

And given the identical software/firmware, I suppose it all still refuses to cooperate with say QEMM memory manager etc ?

yep pinout is the same as the original card but you will need a DB9 gender changer as the port on the Rewind is a female one
firmware is also the same so the same limitations apply...