VOGONS

First post, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to get working those two and no luck after 2 days.

What I've tried:

- clean Wink2k SP4 + catalyst 6.2
INF Error, Video Driver not found
- clean Wink2k SP4 + catalyst 6.5
INF Error, Video Driver not found
- clean Wink2k SP4 + catalyst 6.2 manual install (installed WDM driver then restart then manual install)
partialy working, I can change resolution and color depth but system is more slugish than on VGASave driver, like clicking the start and menu will popup in slideshow.
Sometimes It's like hanging the system but if you move mouse few times faster then it starting to work faster.
Seller tested the card on windows XP and shows me screens that this card works properly.

What to do ? I don't wanna Windows XP on my 2001 machine...

edit: Radeon 7500 was detected without problems...

Last edited by 4dam on 2021-10-15, 17:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Instagram Retro

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try Catalyst 3.x maybe? Alternatively you can try the lowest driver (Catalyst 6.4 with CP) from that site: http://radeon.ru/drivers/amd/xp

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've recentlly solved the problem.
When I've changed the card from 8500 to 7500 It was fine, everythig works.
After I've changed once again 8500 starts to work but with 60hz refresh rate and blocked the 60+ RRate on this screen.
I'm suspecting two things, changing the card installed proper basic video driver or changing the refresh rate on passthru dvi->v-sub is max 60hz.

Thanks

Instagram Retro

Reply 3 of 4, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm back with Radeon 8500 problems.
Installed Catalyst 6.11, the one that works good on this card ... to restart. Something strange going on on restart, because card after installed and first restart, working 100% properly Q3 test 1024x768 ~220-240FPS. After another restart, even the moving windows are slugish, like slideshow, Quake don't even starts, grey screen.
Do you have some advice now ?

Older drivers like, 6.2, 5.8 returning VGA driver error, and stop the installation.

edit: Little news, the Catalyst shows that AGP X* indicator, resets after restart, if I turn it to AGPx4 and restart card working good, after reset it clear config or not recognizing that card is 4x AGP and turn into slugish mode...

Instagram Retro

Reply 4 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

chipset drivers ?

just guessing. 🙂

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port