VOGONS

Reply 400 of 631, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-09-28, 18:02:

so I am 99,9% sure if you de-activate with eeprom tool all your worries will be gone 😀

All my worries were already gone when I received your card. 😀 Anyway, I deactivated it with the eeprom tool and now it works as I want it to work.

Shame is that now you can't add the P330 string to the BLASTER env before running UNISOUND as that will mute the MIDI output. This comes in handy as some programs/games use this string (like dosmid). But I can add it after running UNISOUND of course.

Reply 401 of 631, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yoghoo wrote on 2021-09-28, 18:51:

All my worries were already gone when I received your card. 😀 Anyway, I deactivated it with the eeprom tool and now it works as I want it to work.

Shame is that now you can't add the P330 string to the BLASTER env before running UNISOUND as that will mute the MIDI output. This comes in handy as some programs/games use this string (like dosmid). But I can add it after running UNISOUND of course.

glad to hear all is good again - enjoy the card and thanks for the support! 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 402 of 631, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello JazeFox and the rest!

Thanks again for this great utility.

I have a problem.
If I try to use the utility to define two sound cards such as ess and awe64 ct4520,
then the utility does not detect ess (es688f+968f), it only detects awe64 ct4520.
If I pull the awe64 ct4520 out of the motherboard, the utility detects the ess without problems.

I tried the utility for simultaneously determining two sound cards sb16 ct2770 (not pnp) + ess (es688f+968f)
and in this combination both sound cards are detected and there are no problems.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you all in advance!

Reply 404 of 631, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please read again, since sb16 no problem with ess.
the problem is only when initializing awe64 with ess.

Resources are assigned correctly, both awe64 and ess sound cards work well in Windows 98.
awe 240 i5 d0 h5 t6 e640 f398
ess 220 i7 d1 t4 u10(mpu irq) f388

Reply 405 of 631, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder why unisound allows to configure both high/low DMA for YMF71x chips? 16bit high DMA doesn't seem to work on them (probably not supported). Setupsa doesn't support configuring high DMA at all.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 406 of 631, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlexZ wrote on 2021-10-01, 23:41:

I wonder why unisound allows to configure both high/low DMA for YMF71x chips? 16bit high DMA doesn't seem to work on them (probably not supported). Setupsa doesn't support configuring high DMA at all.

The second DMA is likely for WSS which as you guessed it doesn't support high DMA.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 407 of 631, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlexZ wrote on 2021-10-01, 23:41:

As with some other chipsets, it isn't really for "high DMA", but rather separate capture and playback 8-bit DMA channels, so that full-duplex operation can be supported. For a DOS gaming environment, this is generally never needed, and you can assign only one channel with no loss of functionality.

Reply 408 of 631, by overdriver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,

I just want to report to unisound driver problem with Orpheus sound card.
First of all, I really apreciate this driver. It is very intuitive to use. It works with Orpheus sound card with no major problem.

here is my only problem with unisound. I use external Midi modules(Sound Canvas 55mk2) connects to Orpheus sound card by using a dedicated midi port(looks like just stereo jack to Midi port). if I start Doom with general MIDI support it plays no Midi music.. just game sound. With same physical setting Orphinit.exe works and it plays midi music in Doom.
symtom is very weird.. because I can see Midi IN activity LED or signal light is on and blinking, which means Sound canvas 55 receives MIDI signal from orpheus sound card but SC-55 does not produce any Midi Music... just slient.
When I use unisound I use correct blaster environment augments and no other fancy options at all. It initialize orpheus correctly.. as long as I don't use external Midi deivce.
Is this known issue ? or just wrong setting ?

Reply 409 of 631, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
overdriver wrote on 2021-10-14, 04:41:
hi, […]
Show full quote

hi,

First of all, I really apreciate this driver. It is very intuitive to use. It works with Orpheus sound card with no major problem.

here is my only problem with unisound. I use external Midi modules(Sound Canvas 55mk2) connects to Orpheus sound card by using a dedicated midi port(looks like just stereo jack to Midi port). if I start Doom with general MIDI support it plays no Midi music.. just game sound. With same physical setting Orphinit.exe works and it plays midi music in Doom.
symtom is very weird.. because I can see Midi IN activity LED or signal light is on and blinking, which means Sound canvas 55 receives MIDI signal from orpheus sound card but SC-55 does not produce any Midi Music... just slient.
When I use unisound I use correct blaster environment augments and no other fancy options at all. It initialize orpheus correctly.. as long as I don't use external Midi deivce.

Sounds like a mpu port conflict to me, are you sure that unisound does not activate csmpu at port 330 and on the same time pcmidi is at port 330 too?
With stock orpheus.ini for orphinit csmpu is disabled so this could be a clue of what is happening

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 410 of 631, by overdriver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-10-14, 05:19:
hi, […]
Show full quote

hi,

Sounds like a mpu port conflict to me, are you sure that unisound does not activate csmpu at port 330 and on the same time pcmidi is at port 330 too?
With stock orpheus.ini for orphinit csmpu is disabled so this could be a clue of what is happening

OK I didn't know there is a option to turn off CSMPU specifically. I will try that. and I don't think I have ever activated CSMPU unless it is default setting. I will report back once I am done.

Thanks for suggestion!

Reply 411 of 631, by overdriver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-10-14, 05:19:
hi, […]
Show full quote

hi,

OK, now it is working MIDI music with unisound!
All I did was add 'Blaster= P0' to disable Midiport address(of Crystal chipset). It was suggested by my friend in different internet forum. other Unisound extra setting for Orpheus sound card is only to enable Crystal MPU but there is No disable function.. unless you put port address '0' to 'Blaster=' parameter. I thought it disable Crystal MPU by default but extra setting in 'blaster=' does that for sure.
so my blaster setting is 'Blaster= A220 I5 D1 H4 P0'

I'd like to thank you Keropi and other friend to point it out. thanks~!

Reply 412 of 631, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
overdriver wrote on 2021-10-15, 16:46:
OK, now it is working MIDI music with unisound! All I did was add 'Blaster= P0' to disable Midiport address(of Crystal chip […]
Show full quote

All I did was add 'Blaster= P0' to disable Midiport address(of Crystal chipset). It was suggested by my friend in different internet forum. other Unisound extra setting for Orpheus sound card is only to enable Crystal MPU but there is No disable function.. unless you put port address '0' to 'Blaster=' parameter. I thought it disable Crystal MPU by default but extra setting in 'blaster=' does that for sure.

yep, that is the setting to disable CSMPU with unisound... you can also use the eeprom config tool on Oprheus website, selecting option 3 will disable CSMPU in eeprom and you won't have to use P0
or you can have it active at port 300 so there are no conflicts with pcmidi

Reply 413 of 631, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-10-15, 17:01:
overdriver wrote on 2021-10-15, 16:46:
OK, now it is working MIDI music with unisound! All I did was add 'Blaster= P0' to disable Midiport address(of Crystal chip […]
Show full quote

yep, that is the setting to disable CSMPU with unisound... you can also use the eeprom config tool on Oprheus website, selecting option 3 will disable CSMPU in eeprom and you won't have to use P0
or you can have it active at port 300 so there are no conflicts with pcmidi

Well, TIL that's what I've been doing wrong with UNISOUND. Thought something was up with the driver when I swapped to ORPHINIT and things just worked.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 416 of 631, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is not a Plug & Play chip, 82C931 is the first OPTi chip that adds it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 417 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goethe wrote on 2021-10-24, 20:36:

IT does not work with ISA sound card labeled as K2Y-PRO 16 with ADJ1846JP soundPort chip, OPTI 82C929A chip and Yamaha 262 chip,

Error: sound card not detected

For 82C929 use these drivers instead: https://github.com/JKnipperts/OPTi82c929_Driver

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 418 of 631, by artik-wroc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone to this forum .
I wrote a small pnp card initializer for the TOS/GEM environment (Atari ST). I am trying to find information on the use of SoundBlaster cards, can someone help me with a link on how to detect these cards without pnp-BIOS. I suppose they have their own initiation sequence different from the PnP standard.
Thank you in advance for your help 😉

Reply 419 of 631, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well non pnp dont really have an init sequence per se, just when you use them you issue some hardware resets to the IO space.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--