VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow vogonians, I just received from ebay a lovely dfi nf4 ultra-d, not in pristine shape but still better than nothing, it was sold as working but unlucky it doesn't.

The motherboard boots fine once after using the clearcmos, but when I enter the bios to change just a cosmetic setting like the bios full screen logo, when I exit the bios the motherboard hangs with code 50 (Write all CMOS Values back to Ram and clear).
Also the motherboard had some issues at the beginning with ram not detected, I swapped 3 different (and know working) memory sticks.
I also tried to reflash the bios with an eeprom reader but without any change.

Here is a video showing the issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x6ihtbuyUXQv … iew?usp=sharing

Any chance to recover that lovely board?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nforce boards seem to be somewhat finicky with RAMs.
For this reason I sold my last one equipped with RAMs, so the buyer could not complain about a "bad" board.

And mysterious CMOS setting problems... maybe it is just the PSU?

Reply 2 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No please, it's not the psu, it's a brand new, EVGA 450 BR, I use it on my cardboard test bench.
As for the ram, I tried the old good Winbond BH6 and samsung TCCD.
I think the problem lies in the motherboard.

Reply 3 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really. But DFI boards do love to throw tantrums with RAM. You need to install RAM in orange slots.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-18, 17:24:

Not really. But DFI boards do love to throw tantrums with RAM. You need to install RAM in orange slots.

Yep and if you decide to later use 4 dimm's you usually have to change the memory timing before adding the second set or else errors iirc

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the hint that the problem may be the memory cmos (which should be inside the nforce4 chipset) went wrong, in such case the motherboard can be considered unrecoverable.
I will try to populate the orange connectors tomorrow, since I was using the yellow one, but I doubt it will solve the issue.

Edit: I tried with orange slot, changed nothing.

Do anyone knows where the cmos memory is stored for sure?

Thanks