VOGONS

Reply 60 of 72, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-19, 19:12:
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-19, 15:49:

Finding nice cases in good condition is insanely hard now.

Depends what somones opinon is of Nice? Care to explain why I should have to explain that?

i gots 2 old school coolmaster CM stackers they house so many disks I think they're nice
good comment btw

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-10-19, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 62 of 72, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Older style cases from last century seem to have been drying up fast over the past couple of years. The lion's share of society's stash has been already discarded, and we are in the tighter end of the distribution curve.

The usual sort of time pattern: T + 10 years = everything is cheap and plentiful, almost given away for free. T + 20 years = oops, wish I hadn't given all that away. Want it back real bad, ohnoes where's it all gone???

Reply 63 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i gots 2 old school coolmaster CM stackers they house so many disks I think they're nice

I have 4 of those haha. 3 silver and 1 blue.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 64 of 72, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SBLive wrote on 2021-10-19, 20:09:
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-19, 19:12:

Depends what somones opinon is of Nice? Care to explain why I should have to explain that?

Bless your heart, my friend, and have a wonderful day.

Why are you the way you are?

Reply 65 of 72, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ SBlive

You have written that most of the parts are NOS (now old stock).

About the Enermax EG465AX-VE, is it also NOS?

Even when it is NOS, the capacitors will age nevertheless.

I have bought 2020 two times the model - Enermax EG465P-VE , in used condition.
My approach was to recap all my 'ancient' power supplies.

But the Enermax does worry me most of it !!
Reason: on the circuit board, the Enermax EG465P-VE has a really thick metal wire soldered onto the board.
Problem: at the positions of holes which are close to this wire, it was really difficult to solder- / desolder, because of the heat transfer.
The wire transfers all the heat away, so i had to ramp up the iron's temperature 10°C to 15°C higher than normal.

At the end, one Enermax works , the other one failed during the test , so i had to scrap it.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 66 of 72, by SBLive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melbar wrote on 2021-10-23, 09:47:
@ SBlive […]
Show full quote

@ SBlive

You have written that most of the parts are NOS (now old stock).

About the Enermax EG465AX-VE, is it also NOS?

Even when it is NOS, the capacitors will age nevertheless.

Yes, all my power supplies are NOS. Though that doesn't really solve the problem of aged caps.

However, from my experience, all of my Enermax power supplies had high-quality Sanyo or Rubycon caps in them so I left them as they are.

If the machine starts malfunctioning - random crashes, hangups, or freezes, which are symptoms of unstable power - then it's time for me to replace the caps.

melbar wrote on 2021-10-23, 09:47:

Problem: at the positions of holes which are close to this wire, it was really difficult to solder- / desolder, because of the heat transfer.
The wire transfers all the heat away, so i had to ramp up the iron's temperature 10°C to 15°C higher than normal.

How many watts is your soldering iron? It sounds like it's really weak, you should not have to crank the temperature or hold the iron to the board for more than 3-4 seconds because you'll burn the traces off the board and burn the laminate.

To solder a massive solder plane like that, you need a very powerful iron. Minimum 85W or even 100W, and a wide, flat tip (5-8mm wide) with lots of surface area. This is because you have to deliver a massive amount of heat to the area and keep it that hot long enough to remove the wiring and capacitors, and then solder it all back in. You should also use high-quality gel flux to deliver the heat to every square millimeter of metal that needs it. Cranking the temperature on your weak iron will only cause destruction and disappointment. Keep it at around 375°C-400°C maximum, basically the lowest possible temperature at which the solder melts and stays melted.

Reply 67 of 72, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-10-19, 21:34:

I gots the black and silver i'd love the blue one though have to keep an eye out 😀
They look great with graphic designs so I may make some with sticker paper on my inkjet give them the finishing touches.

Reply 68 of 72, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes , you're right. It is not the most powerful iron. The nominal power is 48 watts, and it's temperature range is 150°C to 450°C.

Actually, i am soldering with a temperature of 340°C to 343°C mostly. So , i had powered up to 365°C to remove step by step the tin-solder around the wire.
I have used also lots of flux material (>fluid).
At least i was successful, but i had problems with the solder blob directly next to the wire where a little hole of a capacitor was placed.

The rule to place the solder within only a few seconds , i'm aware of it. But with this thick wire i had really to struggle with it.

I think you're right, that with a another big flat tip and much more power, it would be easier to fight against this bad guy (.... the wire).

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 69 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-23, 14:31:

I gots the black and silver i'd love the blue one though have to keep an eye out 😀
They look great with graphic designs so I may make some with sticker paper on my inkjet give them the finishing touches.

They're great aren't they. They're my favorite cases ever. I drove 300 miles to collect one of them.

ETA: I actually have 2 of them next to me right now. (That's a Stacker 830 in between them).

kbiEfGkm.jpg

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 70 of 72, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-10-24, 11:22:
They're great aren't they. They're my favorite cases ever. I drove 300 miles to collect one of them. […]
Show full quote
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-23, 14:31:

They're great aren't they. They're my favorite cases ever. I drove 300 miles to collect one of them.

ETA: I actually have 2 of them next to me right now. (That's a Stacker 830 in between them).

kbiEfGkm.jpg

cool i have 2 stacker 830's 😀

Reply 71 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a question though. Why the hell would they call them stackers, when unlike many boring generic cases, it appears you specifically can't stack them??? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 72 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because of the 'stack' of 5.25" bays I guess. The original stacker has 12 and the 830 has 9.

It's amazing that a lot of modern cases don't have any 5.25" bays at all.

Is this too much voodoo?