VOGONS

First post, by fruktsoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve tried Commander Keen and Doom and so far they seem to work fine to me. But what about more obscure games? Does the card still hold up? Especially curious about the SVGA kind requiring some sort of Univbe fiddling.

(I’ve read that the card can have some issues with Windows 98 but at the moment I’m probably just sticking to DOS...)

Last edited by fruktsoda on 2021-10-20, 02:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Virtually any card with a physical VGA port is going to be reasonable at DOS games.

Rendition Verite owners would strongly disagree.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by fruktsoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-19, 23:25:

Virtually any card with a physical VGA port is going to be reasonable at DOS games.

Rendition Verite owners would strongly disagree.

Yeah, and Matrox cards aren’t exactly ideal either from what I remember.

I just want to make sure this particular model works for the vast majority of DOS games. It’s a “newer” card so it’s not that obvious IMO.

Reply 5 of 6, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fruktsoda wrote on 2021-10-19, 22:35:

I’ve tried Commander Keen and Doom and so far they seem to work fine to me. But what about more obscure games? Does the card still hold up? Especially curious about the SVGA kind requiring some sort of Univbe fiddling.

(I’ve read that the card can have some issues with Windows 98 but at the moment I’m probably just sticking to DOS...)

From what I have read on this forum and from my personal experience, the 2D core of nVidia cards (from Riva 128 to GeForce 6800) offers excellent compatibility with DOS games (more information at https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ ). 😉

From other information, I understand that the 7 and 8 series also guarantee good compatibility.

The speech changes for the support of the table fog and 8-bit texture palette which stops at GeForce 5 series 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by fruktsoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
igna78 wrote on 2021-10-20, 09:08:
From what I have read on this forum and from my personal experience, the 2D core of nVidia cards (from Riva 128 to GeForce 6800) […]
Show full quote
fruktsoda wrote on 2021-10-19, 22:35:

From what I have read on this forum and from my personal experience, the 2D core of nVidia cards (from Riva 128 to GeForce 6800) offers excellent compatibility with DOS games (more information at https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ ). 😉

From other information, I understand that the 7 and 8 series also guarantee good compatibility.

The speech changes for the support of the table fog and 8-bit texture palette which stops at GeForce 5 series 😉

Oh, nice chart. It does looks pretty good on there.