VOGONS

Common searches

TERRIBLE NEWS!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by homestarmake2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-alder … ith-older-games
they said the 12th gen intel cpu will not work on old games this is sad 🙁

note now we may use pcem or just buy old pc but this news is sad 🙁

Reply 1 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sigh, FUD. Both with your horrible subject and at Tom's.
Now my opinion of Tom's has dropped even lower if that's even possible.
How about you put 30 seconds of thought into how this article doesn't make any sense.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 30, by homestarmake2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this news has nothing to do with old games
the real ture is we never play old games in this new 12th gen intel cpu and new 12th intel cpu will come out on nov 4 2021
now this may be ture but imgan how old games run in 12th intel cpu but in real life it will not work
since we use dosbox to play dos games let hope for winbox will play old windows 95 games and windows 98 games from 1995 to 2003

Reply 3 of 30, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-10-20, 10:01:

Sigh, FUD.

We'll see.
Intel definitely released and then quickly retracted the "Alder Lake developer guide".
So there is almost definitely something fishy, like the fake Spectre/Meltdown microcode "updates" that almost nobody noticed.

Reply 4 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an optimization guide for developers for coding their software to take advantage of the new architecture, ie not news.
If Denuvo infected games don't work on these new cpus (that's a big if considering the huge fallout that would result and the instruction set is the same) then not a big deal since no one should be playing those games anyway and for those that do play them they'll just rebuy the new version or sequel as usual or ignore them because they are old games and who plays those? For those affected if there is an issue as always it will be a "small number of games" and users will just rollover and take it as usual.
It would be nice if something did break so devs and pubs would stop releasing shitty dependencies that shouldn't be part of that game anyway that often break or causes things to run poorly than they should but that will never happen.

Reply 5 of 30, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-10-20, 11:00:

It's an optimization guide for developers for coding their games to take advantage of the new architecture, ie not news.

With some technical details that seem too hot to be viewed by the public, be it only to debunk the alleged "FUD"...

DosFreak wrote on 2021-10-20, 11:00:

If Denuvo infected games don't work on these new cpus (that's a big if considering the huge fallout that would result) ...

I don't really believe it is a big deal... it would affect only games that no longer get updates.
Considering this I find quite suspicious that Intel made the supposedly innocuous optimization guide unavailable to the public.

Reply 6 of 30, by homestarmake2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it fine for new games but it relly get me what game i plays
im want to play old games
some cpu like i5 2400 and gpu like gtx 960 is fine for old games
but i hope sometimes if winbox come out we may play old game from 1995 to 2003 but if this is not ture we will not play old games on new pc

Reply 7 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So ditch Intel and buy AMD if it is a problem for older games you play... For that matter, I will be going AMD either way on my next new build.

Intel has shown that they are completely fine with performance stagnation and you can be 100% sure that they would still be on their maybe 5% IPC increase per gen if AMD hadn't upped their game.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 30, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been using cracks for years to avoid CD and launchers. They mentioned SECUROM, old games may have issue there but we don't know how cracks will perform. Also old SECUROM games needed you to always have CD so their cracks are already developed.

And on the other hand Steam may be forced to update their SteamWorks or something DRM, same with Epic and such, so Steam should be pretty fine with old games (that ofcourse don't use vmprotect or denuvo).

Or else if you are an anti-piracy activist AMD is the only available choice now.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 30, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-20, 13:36:

So ditch Intel and buy AMD if it is a problem for older games you play... For that matter, I will be going AMD either way on my next new build.

Intel has shown that they are completely fine with performance stagnation and you can be 100% sure that they would still be on their maybe 5% IPC increase per gen if AMD hadn't upped their game.

100%

There is almost zero reason to build Intel these days. I hope they are going to hit back and keep competition strong since they are finally off 14nm, but I have my doubts.

Reply 12 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't recall anyone having reported their systems having been compromised by Meltdown/Spectre. You need local access any way iirc.

Also they possibly could effect systems going back to the Pentium Pros at least.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-20, 18:52. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel has different issue, too.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hi … erating-system/

Seriously, I trust neither Intel, nor AMD. They are both awful, imho.
That's why I used a VIA system years ago. I felt sick being a customer of either company.
And sick of those never ending forum battles of both types of of "believers".
It tried not to be related to them. That's why I was happy that there was a nice S3 Chrome series graphics cards with fine DXVA support. It ran fine on my BioStar mainboard. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 30, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-20, 18:56:
Intel has different issue, too. https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hi … erating-system/ […]
Show full quote

Intel has different issue, too.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hi … erating-system/

Seriously, I trust neither Intel, nor AMD. They are both awful, imho.
That's why I used a VIA system years ago. I felt sick being a customer of either company.
And sick of those never ending forum battles of both types of of "believers".
It tried not to be related to them. That's why I was happy that there was a nice S3 Chrome series graphics cards with fine DXVA support. It ran fine on my BioStar mainboard. ^^

A power9 system from raptor is probably the most trustworthy setup today.
Comes at a pretty penny though...

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 17 of 30, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-10-20, 18:47:

Can't recall anyone having reported their systems having been compromised by Meltdown/Spectre. You need local access any way iirc.

Also they possibly could effect systems going back to the Pentium Pros at least.

True.

But...my main issue is how Intel handled the patch. They were far from transparent about the whole issue.

Reply 18 of 30, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So some news on this:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/suppo … processors.html
Nothing on SecuROM or VMProtect, it doesn't seem to affect all Denuovo games and there's a workaround.

How the list is split up makes no sense though and the text doesn't really explain it. The only way I can make sense of it is if this:

For Windows 10, the games above are affected, and we are working with developers to get a patch. The games below are also affected. For the list below, you can update to Windows 11 or use the Scroll Lock workaround while we work to get this resolved. This list will also be updated as patches are released.

was meant to say:

For Windows 10, the games below are affected, and we are working with developers to get a patch. The games below are also affected. For the list below, you can update to Windows 11 or use the Scroll Lock workaround while we work to get this resolved. This list will also be updated as patches are released.

Reply 19 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I find most hilarious is that for the longest time everywhere Denuvo was mentioned it was"Anti-Tamper" and not DRM. Now no one has a problem calling it what it is. Progress I guess.

Anyone have info on what "Legacy Game Compatibility Mode" is?
Does it disable the other cores? If so why the terrible name, are applications not affected?
Why is scroll lock necessary?
If Denuvo is the issue why is a Windows patch required?