VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just removed a Varta 5/60DK battery that had leaked from a motherboard. I assume it is a 6V battery? What kind of battery I could replace it with? There is some kind of external battery connector on the motherboard as well.

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most logic from the 386 and 486 generation operates at 5V, so three AA cells (alkaline, even) in series can be substituted for an onboard rechargeable pack. Most external connectors are rigged to prevent a trickle charge current, but you can use three NiMH cells in a pack with the lead wires soldered to the connection points for the old battery if you want.

This topic is covered extensively in other threads, most recently in this one:
About removing and replacing barrel batteries..

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 6, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey im having a problem in that my bios settings are not saving.. i have a Gigabyte GA-586VX rev3.36 board
with obviously a dead RTC/Battery "Odin" Chip... (which appears to be socketed!) im wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who makes modified RTC that accept a 2032 coin battery?

i really need to get this solved because its stopping me from switching the function of the PARALLEL LPT1 port to EPP which i need it to be set to for it to recognize my MIDI interface properly (MOTU MIDI Timepiece)

everytime i reboot it defaults back to SPP whatever the default is

im trying to run Emagic Logic v2.5.7 on Windows 98SE (pentium 75 processor, 64mb SDRAM) and
my midi interface obviously needs to work to allow me to do any music 😉
any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 3 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote on 2021-10-20, 21:55:
hey im having a problem in that my bios settings are not saving.. i have a Gigabyte GA-586VX rev3.36 board with obviously a dead […]
Show full quote

hey im having a problem in that my bios settings are not saving.. i have a Gigabyte GA-586VX rev3.36 board
with obviously a dead RTC/Battery "Odin" Chip... (which appears to be socketed!) im wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who makes modified RTC that accept a 2032 coin battery?

i really need to get this solved because its stopping me from switching the function of the PARALLEL LPT1 port to EPP which i need it to be set to for it to recognize my MIDI interface properly (MOTU MIDI Timepiece)

everytime i reboot it defaults back to SPP whatever the default is

im trying to run Emagic Logic v2.5.7 on Windows 98SE (pentium 75 processor, 64mb SDRAM) and
my midi interface obviously needs to work to allow me to do any music 😉
any help is greatly appreciated!

Are you in the US? DigiKey stocks the DS12887A+ as well as variants like DS12C887A+ (Y2K compliant?). They run $11-12 or so.
You can get third party ones with a replaceable battery, or cut one up to attach a battery, but just something to keep in perspective.

Reply 4 of 6, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey there jake
yea id rather not have to do anything myself as im not good with that sort of thing and i have a million other problems to solve aswell 😉

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/max … DS12887A/956873
do they let you order just one or two of these?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 5 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote on 2021-10-21, 02:08:
hey there jake yea id rather not have to do anything myself as im not good with that sort of thing and i have a million other pr […]
Show full quote

hey there jake
yea id rather not have to do anything myself as im not good with that sort of thing and i have a million other problems to solve aswell 😉

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/max … DS12887A/956873
do they let you order just one or two of these?

That's what I use. You might find them cheaper elsewhere, but they have fresh ones considering there is a battery inside--last time I ordered the manufacture date was within a few months.

Reply 6 of 6, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks jake for that - i ordered one, cost 16$ plus 8$ shipping via fedex
cant wait to get it and change it out so i can get this problem sorted + moving on!
cheers! + many thanks!!!