VOGONS

First post, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello fellow vogons

I booted up my Am486 DX4-100 for the first time in 12 months and was met with an unfortunate surprise. Up until now the system has been rock solid but on boot the system would not fully complete its POST ritual.

I power on the system, and it emits a single beep
It completes its memory test then...

It stalls at Press F1 to continue or Del to enter BIOS.

The computer does not respond to any keyboard inputs. I have tried 2 different keyboards and 2 different ps/2 to AT adaptors.

I've torn down the system to only a single stick of ram and the video card and that has made no difference.

The only thing I can suspect is a bulging capacitor near the cpu but I am not sure if that would cause such a problem. Could it be possible the keyboard controller has died?

The mother board is a ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX (see attached photos, ignore the empty battery socket)

Any ideas on what I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0704.JPG
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The motherboard
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0705.JPG
    File size
    1.89 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The suspect capacitor
    File license
    Public domain

Take that there and put it in here

Reply 2 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend to clear CMOS (I assume you added battery to the board). That capacitor is also a possible culprit however I would unsolder it only after ruling out other causes. I would try to hard reset it a few times when it hangs. Is CPU voltage set correctly? I'm afraid if you want a vintage computer you need to have a spare of everything to troubleshoot these issues. I don't think keyboard controller can die in a computer in storage for one year. If all other causes are ruled out and it still doesn't boot then a voltage spike from an old PSU may have killed it.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 8, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-10-21, 07:12:

Did you check wether the keyboard gets stable +5V?

What do you know, I just tested with another power supply and it worked. So I will check the voltages on the original supply and report back

Reply 6 of 8, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I measured the voltages from the 4 pin moltex connectors and they were within range.

I went and tried the original power supply again and lo and behold... keyboard works

So maybe the fault is with the motherboard cap?

Reply 7 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could just have been an iffy power connection.

With 12 months of non-use, connections could have become slightly corroded and not making good contact. Simply reconnecting it (with the same or a different PSU) may have been all it neede.

Reply 8 of 8, by stinkydiver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve noticed when entering the bios setup instead of showing the setup screen in one go it draws the interface line by line (although it only takes a few seconds).