VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally got the time and space to make that prebuilt late 90s build I wanted create a while back.

Turns out I got the hard drive and gotek emulator without looking at the case because...

What the heck is going on here? Did they have some kind of proprietary cage?

IMG_20211022_192352.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211022_192352.jpg
File size
756.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20211022_192400.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211022_192400.jpg
File size
766.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If those two odd ones are the upper 5.25" bays, yes it uses special plastic or metal sliders which are screwed into the 5.25" drives or 5.25" to 3.5" trays...
Have a box full of different ones from all types of cases just for that reason ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to know! I figured but usually I expect them for big brands like hp and IBM, etc. Usually low profile sff stuff.

I can't exactly find one so I'm actually thinking the repair/scrap shop I bought it from may have it. After all he repaired it a mere year ago.

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are a bit odd, near full height so maybe 1" or 1.25" wide. You need two for each bay. I would pull the front panel and check how they secure to the case.
My guess (probably wrong) is that they are metal and have a small lip that catches/latches to front of case under the front panel...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're actually fairly basic (no fancy spring clips) as you can see in the pics - just a flat U-shape with the device screw holes and a securing lip with screw hole to secure to the case (the U-shape in red marries to the drive cage 'bumps' to keep the device level)

Extract from the manual

NEC Ready Series Drive Rails.jpg
Filename
NEC Ready Series Drive Rails.jpg
File size
84.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pic from Vogons thread - download/file.php?id=46236&mode=view

Reply 5 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went back to the shop that sold the machine to me, he gave me a bunch of them for nothing. Little did I know that you can just buy brand new ones off ebay/amazon too, in both 3.5 and 5.25 lengths, I just wasn't searching the right thing.

Of course the 5.25 adapters I'm using aren't exactly full length, so i've managed by screwing in one end and electrical taping the other just to keep it from falling. Other than that the tension holds them up perfectly!

Thanks for your help!

Reply 7 of 7, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nosuch wrote on 2022-05-15, 18:31:

Hey, could I ask what you searched for on Amazon or eBay that turned up results for this? I can't find anything that would fit that NEC case.

Turns out i was wrong, they were just generic "better than nothing" ones. As mentioned, I did get it working with a bit of creativity.