Interview with "last XP fan"

Topic actions

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Just saw an interesting interview at golem.de, a German news site about technology.

It reminds me of my own eXPerience; I used many of these programs, too.

So I thought I share this with you for amusement. 😀

https://www.golem.de/news/20-jahre-windows-xp … 110-160514.html

The title tanslates tro 20 Years of Windows XP - The last XP fan.

Unfortunately, the cookie thing prevents from using google translator directly.
Otherwise, I would have had provided a link for you.

Best regards,
Jo22

PS: Remember : Don't do that at home, kids! 😉
XP is still vulnerable to malware from the internet, even though it's nolonger a mainstream OS.
Especially, if no other safety measures such as external firewalls are protecting it.

bugs-bunny-dud.gif

thats-no-good-sonic.gif

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, it's fun sticking a non-patched XP machine directly on the internet and watching it get overrun by malware within a matter of minutes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 61, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That guy kind of reminds me of myself in many ways 😁
Used XP for 17 years before switching to 7 in early 2019. Used it for everything, but software support was dropping quickly, mainly the browsers, and I figured that 17 years was a good timespan already and it's time to move on. 7's quite ok actually, but for the future it looks like I should look at Linux as I have no desire whatsoever to switch to Win 10, let alone 11.
I don't understand why it would take 3 minutes from power-up until being able to use firefox, though. Time to log-in screen was somewhere around 30 seconds maybe, and I don't remember ff52 taking its time when starting.

Reply 3 of 61, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently used a fully patched XP to go online (behind a NAT) and nothing bad happened; things were running quite smoothly with retro modern browsers, such as basilisk. However, a fully patched XP will be quite slow; I used it with an I7 3770 and the experience was not as good as expected.

I found it extremely aggravating that steam dropped support for XP; they should have made available a legacy client. This shattered completely my trust in Steam and I stopped buying games on their platform.

Reply 4 of 61, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mihai wrote on 2021-10-25, 21:10:

I recently used a fully patched XP to go online (behind a NAT) and nothing bad happened; things were running quite smoothly with retro modern browsers, such as basilisk.

I've been doing that for years, and nothing bad happened. However, even retro modern Mozilla-based browsers are hitting all kinds of compatibility walls with the modern web. And anything Chromium/IE-based is even worse on XP because of the unsupported SSL certificates.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 61, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-25, 20:07:

Oh, it's fun sticking a non-patched XP machine directly on the internet and watching it get overrun by malware within a matter of minutes.

BS
do you care to wager?

XP can tip toe through the net without issue if you know what your doing.

I've heard this BS for years, I guess the internet doesn't like my XP honeypot.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 6 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CwF wrote on 2021-10-25, 22:37:
BS do you care to wager? […]
Show full quote

BS
do you care to wager?

Great reply. Well done mate.

It's a pity more vogons members don't call out bullshit posts like that one and other computer systemhistory revisionists. 😉

Be careful though, you may be accused of picking on you and a mod sends you to the naughty room for a bit. Worst still the poster of the bullshit will faulsely accuse you of PMing them threatening comments like the OP of this thread did to me. They really are a bunch of looney nut jobs and post irreverent/useless links to try and support their claims.

The vogons member the you replied even created a thread just for lil old me(turned 62 on the 6th of this month 😉 ) to what a big Rooster he is 🤣. A troubleshooting guide for Caluser2000. That cracked me up!

Edit: There are about half a dozen chickens that just nod and cluck every time the big Roaster puffs up his chest and squawks 😉 Mostly harmless wee dears though but you might also be accused of picking on them etc etc..... It's ironic really.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-26, 01:46. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 61, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel offended that someone would definitively declare someone as "the last XP fan". What about me? Or presumably all the people around here? I may not at the moment have an XP laptop designated as a daily driver (using Windows 8.1 right now), but I guarantee you I could do 100% of my usual PC tasks on Windows XP. I still have several desktops and laptops using just Windows XP. It's blazing fast, it just works, everything inside Windows XP is where it should be (looking at you, Windows 10). When I use Windows XP, I feel a sense of calm and wellbeing.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 8 of 61, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run an XP system on my network and I only just upgraded to sp3. Its been fine. It is behind a NAT. Ran a win 2000 server too until recently, that's been fine as well. Things seem to just chug along for me.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 9 of 61, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had a XP something up continuously for the last 15 years. My AV is a keyboard, no issues.

I have a backup Q67 Xeon XP, an over the top 5520(~X58) dual xeon, a retired Q35, and so on. Since about 2016 my daily XP is a third layer memory resident cow VM impervious to infection.

XP32 is just like my winter mountain duty road warrior 88 Fiero. They ask when will it die?
"When I say so!"

Not everything is on the net or needs the net. You could just get a smart phone. Since I dislike them I use a Debian VM server nest. Overall current Linux is hard pressed to cover the wide range of functionality of XP32. In fact, it doesn't. Compared to XP, my Debian's are either way better, or they don't do that.

I've never had to experience anything past 7. When the universe collapses unto itself and they shut down that last Debian server, I guarantee it will be running an XP VM.

Xp is obsolete THEY said.

Reply 10 of 61, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe...

But there is an error at the beginning: "Ich habe den Installationssatz für Windows XP-Prof Service Pack 3 und die inoffiziellen Updates für die Kassensysteme, die noch bis 2014 Unterstützung bekamen." - POSReady got updates until 2019/04/09, not 2014. In 2014 XP SP3 reached EOL status.

What's also weird: It seems J. (Jürgen? Jochen? Johannes? Joachim?) doesn't know anything about New Moon, Serpent or MyPal. WTF!? A hardcore XP user as myself should know about these browsers.

BTW still have to read the heise.de article about 20 years of Windows XP (->Windows XP: Kaum totzukriegendes Betriebssystem feiert 20. Geburtstag)...and the comments, of course. 😉

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 11 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes soggy the comments are usually the best part of articles like that 😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 61, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, not only of such articles. heise.de was and is the most important IT portal in Germany, Heise as a publisher releases the most important German IT magazines (c't and iX). Especially the news section often (if not mostly) has comments which are better than the news itself. It's really worth it to read the comments in the very most cases.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 13 of 61, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

XP still has its place for a super-fast speedy, unbloated system which does not need the internet. I'm talking about a pruned version of XP which can and does run on less than 1 GB of total disk space required, boots in 5 seconds, and doesn't have all the crap and bloat of any modern OS. For legacy games, and older applications, XP can't be beat. I still have such a system around for doing all of my DVD and Blu-ray burning, for example. As well as all of my audio editing, playing, tinkering etc. It's super fast, super efficient, and does those tasks exceedingly well. No broswer required. And it plays all the XP games wonderfully and expeditiously, without a million patches, runs NTVDM DOS fullscreen, and has great DOS compatibilty without the bloated and slow DOSBOX.

So, I'm still an XP fan. Most definitely, and to good use and exploit. And as well, I recognize the necessity of owning a Windows 10 system for routine internet use as well. It wouldn't be required if the net itself wasn't so damn bloated and slow, with all that crappy Javascript and other infefficient scripts slowing it down. It's pruned down to a pretty speedy state, but my XP runs loops around it... Both systems are 5th gen I7s (i7-5600) CPUs with 8 GB and 16 GB of RAM.

Reply 15 of 61, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I watched this yesterday to celebrate XP's birthday, definitely not XP's last fan
https://youtu.be/N0n57KqaPxs
Kugee's style is hard to watch sometimes but it's definitely unique and he does some interesting things.

I also reinstalled XP on my main retro rig, by pure coincidence I broke it messing around few weeks back then Tech Tangents released a video on a anniversary XP build thought I'd reinstall on it's release day.

I'm as surprised as anyone to say XP is my favourite OS, not due to nostalgia. I didn't have XP on any of my computers till 2006 and that was on a laptop when I went traveling.
But supporting work computers with XP for about 20 years (yes past its EOL date) it grown on you.
and these days its just nice to fore up a Win9x game in a nice stable OS on an overpowered PC and just play without any issues 99% of the time.

Dos, 98 even 2k have special places in my heart but truth is XP does most retro things I need with minimal fuss.

Reply 16 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CwF wrote on 2021-10-25, 22:37:
BS do you care to wager? […]
Show full quote

BS
do you care to wager?

I did this experiment a few years ago just to see what would happen. Installed XP and then installed the hardware drivers. I did not install ANY MS updates on the machine and then hooked it directly up to my cable modem.

Within 15 minutes the computer had so much crap on it it was unusable... I didn't do anything except hook it up to the modem. Didn't open a browser or anything.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 61, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was running up a a 2003 server in front of the firewall back in the mid 2000's that was infected before I'd finished running the server up
(sigh, fine I'll run it up again behind the firewall this time then repatch to the outside network once done)

But these days my XP PC with only SP3 installed is fine hiding behind my router with whatever defaults my ISP have set.
It's not like I'm actively using it on the web, I'm just too lazy to split off a vlan for my retro rigs.

Reply 18 of 61, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-26, 14:14:

Within 15 minutes the computer had so much crap on it it was unusable...

You do understand your claim is anecdotal. Mine is not, and I didn't do it "once".
Of course your condition of no updates is your safety valve for the claim, and unrealistic.

Within 15 minutes what was compromised by what mechanism? The network you hooked into had what else connected? Networks can be dirty. XP does talk to things, like most default anythings, and something is often listening.

XP can be hardened. Support ended for 'Public' consumption, paid support exist to 2022+. If you are a target, everything you now use can be compromised, everything.

I bought a car and parked it on a hill in neutral - it rolled down and crashed - must be a piece of crap.
Yes, even in Park some pawls release, known issue, so it's stated - use the freaking parking brake...

Obfuscation and silent running are the only defense. If you want convenient discoverable services, they will be discovered.

Reply 19 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CwF wrote on 2021-10-26, 15:55:
You do understand your claim is anecdotal. Mine is not, and I didn't do it "once". Of course your condition of no updates is you […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-26, 14:14:

Within 15 minutes the computer had so much crap on it it was unusable...

You do understand your claim is anecdotal. Mine is not, and I didn't do it "once".
Of course your condition of no updates is your safety valve for the claim, and unrealistic.

Within 15 minutes what was compromised by what mechanism? The network you hooked into had what else connected? Networks can be dirty. XP does talk to things, like most default anythings, and something is often listening.

XP can be hardened. Support ended for 'Public' consumption, paid support exist to 2022+. If you are a target, everything you now use can be compromised, everything.

I bought a car and parked it on a hill in neutral - it rolled down and crashed - must be a piece of crap.
Yes, even in Park some pawls release, known issue, so it's stated - use the freaking parking brake...

Obfuscation and silent running are the only defense. If you want convenient discoverable services, they will be discovered.

I ONLY had that XP machine hooked up directly to my cable modem. Nothing else was hooked up. I wasn't about to have the rest of my systems hooked up to the same network the XP machine was on for this little experiment.

Before I unhooked it, it had a bunch malware running that was visible in task manager. The system was super slow to respond at that point as well.

I wasn't doing this to prove that XP or anything else was bad. I just wanted to see what would happen.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK