Interview with "last XP fan"

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leonardo wrote on 2021-10-27, 06:57:
It was quite common actually back in the early days. People know better now, but in many cases you only had a modem and no route […]
Show full quote
zyzzle wrote on 2021-10-27, 04:16:

Nobody would be foolish enough to connect a PC directly to their cable modem without using a router. Or a least even Windows XP's "built-in" firewall.

It was quite common actually back in the early days. People know better now, but in many cases you only had a modem and no router… and the XP firewall was introduced in an update, a service pack if I recall - specifically because of all the trouble with people infecting their Win2K/XP installations.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-10-27, 01:49:
Quite preposterous, I must say. […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-26, 14:14:

I did this experiment a few years ago just to see what would happen. Installed XP and then installed the hardware drivers. I did not install ANY MS updates on the machine and then hooked it directly up to my cable modem.

Within 15 minutes the computer had so much crap on it it was unusable... I didn't do anything except hook it up to the modem. Didn't open a browser or anything.

Quite preposterous, I must say.

Back in 2016, I performed major reinstall on all PCs in my home office --with Windows XP, of course. In any case, it was also the year where Microsoft stopped Windows XP updates, so none of my PCs was updated. Those PCs, of course, were to be used by my employees, so I used Windows HOSTS file to block unwanted websites. I also set the necessary policies, so that only admins can install anything. Autorun is also disabled to prevent thumb drive viruses. And the only Microsoft products used with those PCs are Microsoft Office, while things like Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer remained unused.

Now it's already five years, and none of the Windows XP PC has been infected by anything. If anything, it's the hardware that fails first, while the Windows XP itself remains strong. In fact, without Windows updates, those Windows XP remains as fast as they were after fresh install.

Now my daily driver is a Windows 7 PC. I started using it since 2020, which was coincident with the end of Microsoft support, in other words, no updates. And the Windows 7 PC does not suffer the typical slow down that comes with Windows updates. And no virus either.

Based on my experience, most infections come from user's stupidity, like my employees browsing suspicious websites then click 'Ok' or 'Yes' to download the p0rn (or what the believe to be p0rn). That's why I set the Windows in such way that only admins can install anything, while my employees always log in using non-admin accounts. The Windows HOSTS file is also set to block dangerous websites.

You’re right about some people being too careless online, but I myself had to go to many people to fix their issues with malware that made use of the plethora of remote vulnerabilities in Windows - some of which could already be taken advantage of during installation. Yes, if you have an older release of XP, you can literally infect your computer during setup if you also have a direct connection to the internet.

That's true, I witnessed this in ~2003/2004 when my father and me upgraded to XP from a 98SE PC.
The setup hasn't even completely finished when we saw this:

nt_authority.jpg
Filename
nt_authority.jpg
File size
6.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/iY6xSZY6nN8FVjPY6

And this happened not just once and just not on our PC(s).
Friends and colleagues asked for help a few times, too.

That's why I learned that safety/security is important for XP.
Sure, SP1 and SP2 (has better firewall that's on by default) did a lot to make XP more robust. Not to say SP3.
But XP has so many features compared to its predecessors that malware still has a chance to run on it and take advantage of these features.
Just think about it. Many simple 32-Bit applications still run from 98/2k/XP onwards.
And if the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) had been left activated by default.. Oh. My. God. 😰

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 61, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same experience here. Woms like Blaster, ILoveYou, massive botnets.... Thank you Windows XP !

That's what prompted MS to make SP2, which was so much of a massive change it was pretty much a new OS.

Reply 42 of 61, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-27, 10:11:

Same experience here. Woms like Blaster, ILoveYou, massive botnets.... Thank you Windows XP !

That's what prompted MS to make SP2, which was so much of a massive change it was pretty much a new OS.

I think the same. But that's also why XP has a certain charme, I guess.
It's like an old blanket or jeans with lots of patches sewed onto it.
It's torn and has "seen quite some sh*t" in its life, yet it developed positively and refused to die.
And I think that's quite a remarkable accomplishment.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 43 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nobody would be foolish enough to connect a PC directly to their cable modem without using a router. Or a least even Windows XP's "built-in" firewall. I think outlandish claims of XP being "infested" within mere minutes are simply not true and extremely misleading. if a home-user takes a few simple precautions, it's just not true. A minute to set up a router, another few seconds to say "yes" to enable Windows Firewall. Don't even need to "bother" with security updates or download bloated virus scanners / modern browsers. Another few minutes to download a thourough hosts file, updated security certificates, followed by TURNING OFF Javascript! And you'd be fine in XP, for 95% of modern browsing. Just get those damn scripts Off! Even in the big, bad dangerous world of 2021. I've done it, in a pinch, and an XP used for small doses of Internet is just fine. No problem, no mysterious corruption or odd processess being opened within minutes!

I think you must have a higher opinion of some people than they deserve. Being in IT for over 20 years now it is very apparent how stupid people can be in regards to technology and also to anything that has to do with security.

Back in the day, the self-install kits for Cable ISP service showed hooking the computer directly up to the modem.

And to this day, that is one of the first troubleshooting steps the ISPs have you do if it looks good on their end and you still aren't getting service or having trouble with service.

Now most ISPs "provide", for a small monthly fee, a modem/router combo which are almost always trash. The ones for fiber service are a lot better so you at least have protection there by default.

Smart people will use their own cable modems and router setups because it is not only cheaper in the long run but you also get better hardware that way.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-27, 13:25:
I think you must have a higher opinion of some people than they deserve. Being in IT for over 20 years now it is very apparent h […]
Show full quote

Nobody would be foolish enough to connect a PC directly to their cable modem without using a router. Or a least even Windows XP's "built-in" firewall. I think outlandish claims of XP being "infested" within mere minutes are simply not true and extremely misleading. if a home-user takes a few simple precautions, it's just not true. A minute to set up a router, another few seconds to say "yes" to enable Windows Firewall. Don't even need to "bother" with security updates or download bloated virus scanners / modern browsers. Another few minutes to download a thourough hosts file, updated security certificates, followed by TURNING OFF Javascript! And you'd be fine in XP, for 95% of modern browsing. Just get those damn scripts Off! Even in the big, bad dangerous world of 2021. I've done it, in a pinch, and an XP used for small doses of Internet is just fine. No problem, no mysterious corruption or odd processess being opened within minutes!

I think you must have a higher opinion of some people than they deserve. Being in IT for over 20 years now it is very apparent how stupid people can be in regards to technology and also to anything that has to do with security.

Back in the day, the self-install kits for Cable ISP service showed hooking the computer directly up to the modem.

And to this day, that is one of the first troubleshooting steps the ISPs have you do if it looks good on their end and you still aren't getting service or having trouble with service.

Now most ISPs "provide", for a small monthly fee, a modem/router combo which are almost always trash. The ones for fiber service are a lot better so you at least have protection there by default.

Smart people will use their own cable modems and router setups because it is not only cheaper in the long run but you also get better hardware that way.

BS I've had an ISP provided modem/router for 5 years or so with out any issue.

You always post brord generalizations wrt computer use at home and the users... Which is not professional at all!

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-28, 07:25. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 45 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-10-27, 14:35:
I think you must have a higher opinion of some people than they deserve. Being in IT for over 20 years now it is very apparent h […]
Show full quote

BS I've had an IPS provided moden/router for 5 years or so with out any issue.

You always post brord generalizations wrt computer use at home...

That's why I said.. back in the day.... First cable ISP I had was Comcast around 20 years ago. They certainly didn't provide a router back then.

It also depends on the service provider as to what hardware they rent to you. I've had experience with quite a few and even a 3-4 years ago Comcast was providing a modem/router combo that was not powerful enough to handle Wifi connections.
Replace that crap with a good modem and separate router and the Wifi and even wired speeds increased dramatically.

As for now, unless the person is using the crap ISP provided modem/router, almost none of them are going to bother even trying to update the firmware... as recent as a couple years ago there were companies using a standard default password on their routers which made them super easy to be compromised.
https://proprivacy.com/guides/default-r ... n-details

As far as I know, most of them are at least using randomly generated default admin passwords and SSID passwords though there are going to still be a huge number of older routers out there that don't do that.

From experience, most people never even bother changing the default password or the default SSID of the router.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 46 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-27, 15:23:
That's why I said.. back in the day.... First cable ISP I had was Comcast around 20 years ago. They certainly didn't provide a r […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

That's why I said.. back in the day.... First cable ISP I had was Comcast around 20 years ago. They certainly didn't provide a router back then.

It also depends on the service provider as to what hardware they rent to you. I've had experience with quite a few and even a 3-4 years ago Comcast was providing a modem/router combo that was not powerful enough to handle Wifi connections.
Replace that crap with a good modem and separate router and the Wifi and even wired speeds increased dramatically.

As for now, unless the person is using the crap ISP provided modem/router, almost none of them are going to bother even trying to update the firmware... as recent as a couple years ago there were companies using a standard default password on their routers which made them super easy to be compromised.

As far as I know, most of them are at least using randomly generated default admin passwords and SSID passwords though there are going to still be a huge number of older routers out there that don't do that.

From experience, most people never even bother changing the default password or the default SSID of the router.

You still make posts putting down home computer users to this day. Case in point Windows Home users. That was a few days ago. Would you like me to link to it?

Edit: My apology's . I should have posted links to them.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-28, 07:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47 of 61, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where would one find a thorough hosts file for Windows XP? Can you share a link with the rest of us?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 48 of 61, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
notsofossil wrote on 2021-10-28, 00:13:

Where would one find a thorough hosts file for Windows XP? Can you share a link with the rest of us?

You could try mine (attached).

Attachments

• Filename
    hosts.zip
    File size
    124.72 KiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 49 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-10-27, 15:27:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-27, 15:23:
That's why I said.. back in the day.... First cable ISP I had was Comcast around 20 years ago. They certainly didn't provide a r […]
Show full quote

You still make posts putting down home computer users to this day. Case in point Windows Home users. That was a few days ago. Would you like me to link to it?

Edit: My apology's . I should have posted links to them.

"Putting them down"???? That's not my point. My point is that there are a ton of people out there that aren't tech savvy. Being in IT, I see it all the time.... Let's list a few I have run into.

1. User calls us because their mouse isn't working. I get there and find that it is a wireless mouse and the batteries are dead.
2. Go onsite to repair a Dell computer under warranty. Find that they have been using the top of the computer as an ash tray... yes, there was a pile of cigarette ashes on top of and around the computer.
3. Go onsite to fix a Dell tower that is under warranty. Find the the "IT" people that were in charge of it had been messing with it and the CPU was not in the socket properly and the CPU cooler was not installed properly.
4. Get a call that a computer will not turn on. Find that the power cable is not plugged into the wall. This has happened a massive number of times.
5. Get a call that the monitor is not showing anything. Find that the monitor is not turned on. This has happened a massive number of times.
6. Optical drive is not working. Find that the user is putting the discs in upside down.
7. USB stick not working. Find that the user is plugging it into the HDMI port.
8. Fake phishing emails go out from security. At least 70% of users click on the links... EVERY SINGLE TIME. Sometimes the numbers are even higher, even after requiring those who click on said links to take additional training each time it happens.
9. User at another location keeps accidentally printing massive documents to a copier at another location in a different state.
10. Go onsite to fix networking issues. Find that user has hooked their cable modem to a router and then that router to another router. In addition to that, the cabling is all tangled up and the whole contraption is in a heap on the floor.
11. Required updates and configuration changes being pushed at work. These are given multiple deferment pop-ups before they are force installed. Users complain that their computer restarted without notice and claim they never had any pop-ups even though we know that isn't true.
12. Users setting IT emails to automatically be moved to Trash and then wondering why they missed important information and sometimes claiming that they never got an email.
13. Users incapable as doing something as simple as plugging in a printer and running the install from the CD. Same goes for pretty much any other peripheral. I have run into this so many times it is amazing.
14. Users given multiple warnings that their password is going to expire.. as in multiple warnings a day for a whole week and then don't change their password and have to call the HD to get it reset after they let it expire.
15. Customers paying us for hours of work to try to "optimize" their system so it runs faster when we have recommended a small hardware upgrade such as RAM which would take care of their problem entirely, then the customer refusing to do any upgrades even though it would cost them way less in the long run. Instead they would rather pay us multiple times for hours of labor trying to figure out ways to make their system run a bit better with their current configuration.
16. Customers wondering why they constantly get malware after they disable all updates (because they take too long), have no security software and click on absolutely every link they come across.
17. Customers delete the files in the root of C and then wonder why their system no longer boots.... Yep, I had this happen multiple times.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 51 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:57:

8. Fake phishing emails go out from security. At least 70% of users click on the links... EVERY SINGLE TIME. Sometimes the numbers are even higher, even after requiring those who click on said links to take additional training each time it happens.

🤣. The same happens every year where I work. Always heaps of people clicking on it. I have dodged it every single time, but since IT is creating the emails they are a bit more believable than the normal spam ones you receive.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 52 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2021-10-28, 14:13:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:57:

🤣. The same happens every year where I work. Always heaps of people clicking on it. I have dodged it every single time, but since IT is creating the emails they are a bit more believable than the normal spam ones you receive.

Heh. When they first started doing this almost everybody clicked on it. Then the next day they sent out a legit email and nobody would click the link. That time it was hilarious as they kinda shot themselves in the foot.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 53 of 61, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No point complaining about users, things never change.
You would think general IT knowledge would have improved as the generations that have grown up with computers enter the workforce, but it hasn't.
Be it poor training by the company or lack of willingness of the user, or a company unwilling to invest that's a management problem to fix not mine.
close the ticket, fill your time sheet or bill you time however it works, in the end it's only the numbers that will force a change in a company and as long as IT is performing its service within it's allocated resources then they can't complain about that.

Reply 54 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I almost forgot one that is a real doozy...

This has happened a massive number of times.
1. Send out email instructions that have been reviewed and tested by multiple people.
2. User calls asking how to do something that is very clear per the instructions sent out.
3. Ask user if they read the instructions in the email.
4. User either says yes and I have to go help them or they say no so I ask them to follow the instructions in the email they just received.

Same goes for emails sent out asking specific questions or answering specific answers.

The reading comprehension of some people is absolutely abysmal. Either that or they just don't care.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:09:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-28, 15:03:
I almost forgot one that is a real doozy... […]
Show full quote

1. Send out email instructions that have been reviewed and tested by multiple people.
2. User calls asking how to do something that is very clear per the instructions sent out.
4. User either says yes and I have to go help them or they say no so I ask them to follow the instructions in the email they just received.

Same goes for emails sent out asking specific questions or answering specific answers.

The reading comprehension of some people is absolutely abysmal. Either that or they just don't care.

IT tech support tends to consider themselves being somewhere in the midst of the food chain, but the truth is for the general population tech support is at the very bottom - these are the guys you call when your toilet is clogged 😁

Edit: what I'm trying to say here is that for most people, the time and effort spent by tech support is of no concern.

Until they come to you with something "urgent" and then you tell them they have to wait because you are already busy (with something that actually maters).

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 58 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 14:13:

Let's not trigger Calluser2000 with r/talesfromtechsupport 🤣

I don't process a firearm.

Edit: I am comfortable using one though.

Edit: I made a Reddit r/linux cry so I should imagin ethe r/talesfromtechsopportXD moderater/s will be a piece of cake.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-28, 19:16. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 59 of 61, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:26:
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:09:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-28, 15:03:
I almost forgot one that is a real doozy... […]
Show full quote

IT tech support tends to consider themselves being somewhere in the midst of the food chain, but the truth is for the general population tech support is at the very bottom - these are the guys you call when your toilet is clogged 😁

Edit: what I'm trying to say here is that for most people, the time and effort spent by tech support is of no concern.

Until they come to you with something "urgent" and then you tell them they have to wait because you are already busy (with something that actually maters).

Having a dump in the loo....😉

You chickens and the big Rooster in the vogons coop need to remember to not pick on forum members or fighting....