VOGONS

First post, by IcarusAvery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've got an issue. I posted here a day or two ago about turning an old Dell Dimension 4600 into a Win98 machine, and already I'm running into issues.

I downloaded an OEM disk image and burned that to CD so I had a bootdisk (I would've used a floppy for a bootdisk and ran a retail CD, but I have no blank floppies, and until I get this computer set up I don't have any way to write to floppies.) I formatted the disk, ran the install, and got to where it *should've* booted. Instead, it gets to "Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows" and just freezes, with a little blinking dash in the upper left. It'll eventually restart on its own, and when it does, it'll either hang on the Win98 splash screen, or change back to whatever menu it was in before (usually the "boot from hard disk or CD" menu) with the little blinking dash in the corner before rebooting after about ten minutes.

I *can* boot into Safe Mode, so I figured I might try to narrow down the issue. I set it to create a bootlog, let it do its thing, waited for it to freeze, then when it rebooted I went into Safe Mode, except there's no bootlog.txt anywhere on the system.

At this point, I've tried everything. I've tried reinstalling the OS, I tried using a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 CD to delete the HDD partition to get the 98 setup to format the hard drive again, I've tried going step by step in the boot, it's just not working. I'm really at a complete loss.

Currently, there's a Pentium 4 @ 3.2GHz in there (HT disabled), 256MB of RAM, a 250GB SATA HDD, two IDE CD drives (I've tried using both the master and slave drive), and a GeForce 4 MX 440. I've also tried seeing if there's some legacy SATA setting in the BIOS but so far I'm not finding anything obvious. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 12, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would you be able to upload some photos of the bios menus? I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on the options so it's hard to say where what is or what it could be called.

EDIT: nevermind, found something

EDIT2: doesn't look like there's a way to set SATA/IDE modes, so I think the next best thing would be to use an IDE to SATA adapter long enough to maybe install R. Loew's SATA patch

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 2 of 12, by IcarusAvery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TehGuy wrote on 2021-10-26, 21:44:

Would you be able to upload some photos of the bios menus? I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on the options so it's hard to say where what is or what it could be called.

EDIT: nevermind, found something

EDIT2: doesn't look like there's a way to set SATA/IDE modes, so I think the next best thing would be to use an IDE to SATA adapter long enough to maybe install R. Loew's SATA patch

Is there a way to get that patch installed without having to get any extra hardware or cables? It's gonna be a while before I can get any extra cash together.

Reply 3 of 12, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IcarusAvery wrote on 2021-10-26, 22:08:

Is there a way to get that patch installed without having to get any extra hardware or cables? It's gonna be a while before I can get any extra cash together.

I'm not sure. When I did it, the p4 setup I had could change from SATA/Native into some IDE mode so I could run the patch while in windows. Couldn't say if you could get it installed under a DOS boot disk after getting past the initial Windows install, and the only other thing I think would work would probably be to get it all going in a VM and then clone that disk onto the real one if you've got the stuff for that

EDIT: still requires extra hardware, but a PCI SATA controller could be an option

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 4 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

probably doesn't like the Hard drive. You should try patching it with rloew Terabyte plus patch. that should fix it. becasue thats probably related to not only the size, but they way you partitioned and formated it, windows 98 is very picky about that and its related to the OS doesn't understand LBA very well even with official patches. The 98 fdisk and format is also kinda a hack as its not a standard fat32 its fat32x and its done to get around LBA. If its not done with it than, 98 might not recongnize the disk right. But if you install that patch it should work.

Reply 5 of 12, by IcarusAvery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-27, 01:26:

probably doesn't like the Hard drive. You should try patching it with rloew Terabyte plus patch. that should fix it. becasue thats probably related to not only the size, but they way you partitioned and formated it, windows 98 is very picky about that and its related to the OS doesn't understand LBA very well even with official patches. The 98 fdisk and format is also kinda a hack as its not a standard fat32 its fat32x and its done to get around LBA. If its not done with it than, 98 might not recongnize the disk right. But if you install that patch it should work.

Is there a way to install that patch while booted into Safe Mode or will I need to find a way to boot it regularly beforehand?

Reply 8 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I saw the size of the drive, but (unpatched) Win98 has issues with partitions larger than 128 megabytes, so it's standard practice to use partitions under 128 megabytes. Here's a fast and easy way to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ivV5tyfRs

Phil is able to use the mouse in Super Fdisk because he has a PS/2 mouse, a USB one will not work. The same is true when in Safe Mode with Win98, so I always make sure to use a PS/2 mouse with a Win98 machine.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't already know, IMO the best way to install Win98 is to copy the disk to the drive: here is a site that goes over the steps. http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install … dexfullpage.htm

Reply 10 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the issue is that the SATA ports aren't compatible with Win98 because of the lack of being able to choose "standard or enhanced" in the BIOS settings, I'd recommend a SATA to IDE adapter since that board also has IDE ports.

Reply 11 of 12, by IcarusAvery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think what I'm going to do is get an IDE-based SD card reader and format a 128GB card to FAT32. I need one of those anyways, so hopefully I can get it working as my C: drive. If that don't work, I'll try and get an IDE to SATA converter, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try and find an IDE hard drive.

Reply 12 of 12, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

try setup /pi /nm (worked for me)

Duron 800mhz 256mb ram geforce2 mx Windows 98se
K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
djsabreblade.bandcamp.com