User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:50:
Nothing. It's a steal of your money. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:21:

What exactly does the A500-Mini bring to the table that running Amibian on a Raspberry Pi 3 does not then?

Nothing. It's a steal of your money.

Better use WinUAE or something. A lot of ready-made packages also exist, legally to boot:
https://www.amigaforever.com/

I dont know if it is a steal of your money. Depends on how you look at it. How much is time worth to you and what will you end up paying for the same kind of finished product, if you want to sit in front of your tv and play from time to time? When it comes down to the end price, I think the 500-Mini will be reasonable priced.

And yes. It is not really for people who know how to set up things. Like a Vogon user. But I want to buy one anyway, so my original hardware will be for me and not my children to use.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 40921 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:50:
Nothing. It's a steal of your money. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-28, 13:21:

What exactly does the A500-Mini bring to the table that running Amibian on a Raspberry Pi 3 does not then?

Nothing. It's a steal of your money.

Better use WinUAE or something. A lot of ready-made packages also exist, legally to boot:
https://www.amigaforever.com/

WinUAE for a casual guy who just want's to play something for an hour is way too complicated.

I don't really have any retro hardware like A500-mini, maybe beside the last year's Nintendo Game&Watch (Super Mario Bros) - and while I can play SMB on any device I can imagine - playing it on this Game & Watch is so much fun. It was ~50 USD sure, but I think it was worth it, and I'm going to buy this year's release (Zelda) too.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40922 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just checked up price for a500-Mini pre-order in Denmark. The price is 121 Euro and looking at the price for RaspberryPI hardware, high quality case, joysticks or controllers, legit kickstart roms and the time one spend on setting up. Then the a500-mini seems like a good deal.

Reply 40923 of 52615, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received these controllers today -

gravisJoy1.jpeg
Filename
gravisJoy1.jpeg
File size
210.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
pcpad.jpeg
Filename
pcpad.jpeg
File size
148.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I needed some extra PC Gameport controllers, so grabbed those on a whim. The Gravis joystick isn't anything particularly special, a typical analog 2-button joystick. But I quite like the Saitek gamepad, with microswitches on the d-pad.

Both in good working order and tested on my 386.

Reply 40924 of 52615, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't expect to win this 🤣

It's my first and only Voodoo3 3500 ever 😁

Also it's complete in box and the card looks like new too, all shiny, dust free... and best thing... it actually works 😁

Sellers photo:
OtXh1Bf.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 40925 of 52615, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-28, 15:30:

WinUAE for a casual guy who just want's to play something for an hour is way too complicated.

The QuickStart page of WinUAE is easy enough... And it's really nothing new.

Reply 40926 of 52615, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:53:

It is, buuut... back in the day there was a ton of ppl who would have said they were "into" Amiga, and didn't know how to do more than put in a booter game and turn it on. Workbench? WTF is that?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40927 of 52615, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:07:
I didn't expect to win this :lol: […]
Show full quote

I didn't expect to win this 🤣

It's my first and only Voodoo3 3500 ever 😁

Also it's complete in box and the card looks like new too, all shiny, dust free... and best thing... it actually works 😁

Sellers photo:
OtXh1Bf.jpg

beautiful.

It might be worth it to attach a fan if you intend on using it. A typical Voodoo3 is already hot enough as it is.

Reply 40928 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:53:

Doesn't matter if it came out 20 years ago or so. For somebody who is using it for the first time - it's new.

A500-mini isn't dedicated for tinkerers or vintage computer enthusiasts. Like other retro machines like it - it's oriented at people who just want to play games from their childhood, free of any hassle. If there would be no market for such retro computers - it wouldn't be released (yet there is a lot of people who will buy it - NES mini, C64mini and so on proved it) and the price seems about right too.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40929 of 52615, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd wait to see if it sells before saying that there is a market for it.

For me it's a niche product aiming at people with too much nostalgia and too much money, after everyone and their mum did the same (Playstation mini, nes mini, megadrive mini, and so on...) while there are far better options for far less money and a lot more games on offer. It's the same re-heated old titles for old geezers, with an unshameful price tag.

People who knew Amiga computers know how to operate them, and WinUAE, for decades.
No one is interested in the Amiga platform for the first time nowadays. Not enough to make a market, anyway.

We'll see...

Reply 40930 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-28, 19:21:

Judging how good C64Mini and Maxi sold - we can be pretty sure it will sell good as well. Hype is high - even among hardcore vintage computer enthusiasts I know.
Somebody invested not small amount of money to bring this product to the market - if the company behind it wasn't sure it will sell - it would never be released.

For me it's a niche product aiming at people with too much nostalgia and too much money (...)

I think you should never use this argument in this particular forum and thread 🤣 😁 Who we are to judge? 😁 Last month I've spent way more than it's price buying old tech and I'm pretty sure most of us here did.

People buying retro computers and consoles like this are not exactly like us (at least usually - because I'm pretty sure many of people here will buy or at least think about buying it). They will see these machines in big electronic stores or discount stores and will buy they on the spot in the heat of a moment. And I'm pretty sure they will have a lot of fun for quite some time. Retro gaming in general is sort of a niche hobby, it doesn't really matter if it's done on a real vintage computers or on a retro computers like a500-mini.
So while It's not for me either I would never go as far as saying it's too expensive or it's a bad business idea overall.

PS: Most people don't want to have to mess with floppy images, kickstart roms, setting up the emulator not to mention the hardware. They want to relive their memories on their big flat TV and want a one-click solution. This product is for people like them 😀

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40931 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:57:

Workbench? WTF is that?

The second half of the AmigaOS. It is the GUI. A bit like Win3.11 on top of Dos.

Reply 40932 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
I'd wait to see if it sells before saying that there is a market for it. […]
Show full quote

For me it's a niche product aiming at people with too much nostalgia and too much money, after everyone and their mum did the same (Playstation mini, nes mini, megadrive mini, and so on...) while there are far better options for far less money and a lot more games on offer. It's the same re-heated old titles for old geezers, with an unshameful price tag.

People who knew Amiga computers know how to operate them, and WinUAE, for decades.
No one is interested in the Amiga platform for the first time nowadays. Not enough to make a market, anyway.

We'll see...

Hehe.... You are forgetting all those that are into console gaming. They WILL talk about it and pitch it as a gaming console.

Reply 40933 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2021-10-28, 20:59:

The second half of the AmigaOS. It is the GUI. A bit like Win3.11 on top of Dos.

I'm pretty sure BitWrangler's question was rethorical 😉
And Workbench (even 3.XX) is more like Win 1.0 usability-wise 😁 Horrible GUI. Horrible.

brostenen wrote on 2021-10-28, 21:00:

Hehe.... You are forgetting all those that are into console gaming. They WILL talk about it and pitch it as a gaming console.

Which in fact it is. But then again - even back in the day Amiga (when it comes to gaming) was always perceived by Commodore as sort of a gaming console - CDTV and CD32 is the best proof.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40934 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-28, 20:39:
Judging how good C64Mini and Maxi sold - we can be pretty sure it will sell good as well. Hype is high - even among hardcore vin […]
Show full quote

Judging how good C64Mini and Maxi sold - we can be pretty sure it will sell good as well. Hype is high - even among hardcore vintage computer enthusiasts I know.
Somebody invested not small amount of money to bring this product to the market - if the company behind it wasn't sure it will sell - it would never be released.

For me it's a niche product aiming at people with too much nostalgia and too much money (...)

I think you should never use this argument in this particular forum and thread 🤣 😁 Who we are to judge? 😁 Last month I've spent way more than it's price buying old tech and I'm pretty sure most of us here did.

People buying retro computers and consoles like this are not exactly like us (at least usually - because I'm pretty sure many of people here will buy or at least think about buying it). They will see these machines in big electronic stores or discount stores and will buy they on the spot in the heat of a moment. And I'm pretty sure they will have a lot of fun for quite some time. Retro gaming in general is sort of a niche hobby, it doesn't really matter if it's done on a real vintage computers or on a retro computers like a500-mini.
So while It's not for me either I would never go as far as saying it's too expensive or it's a bad business idea overall.

PS: Most people don't want to have to mess with floppy images, kickstart roms, setting up the emulator not to mention the hardware. They want to relive their memories on their big flat TV and want a one-click solution. This product is for people like them 😀

Regarding price. Then it is still cheaper than building a RaspberryPI based solution. It will be 121 Euro (actually just under).

PI-400: 80 Euro
SD Card: 10 Euro (aprox, plus/minus, depending on quality, speed and size)
Good Controller: 20 Euro (and more if you want better than Speedlink Strike NX Wired USB)
Good mouse: 20 Euro (more for a better mouse)
Amiga forever: 9 Euro (to get the kickstarts)

So we are talking at least some 10 Euro more for a PI-Solution, and you do not even get the Amiga500 design and Tankmouse design. Plus you need to download software, copy kickstarts and all that. Compared to 500-Mini that you buy and just plug in. And you need to find all these things for the PI-400 on various webshops or physical shops.

Reply 40935 of 52615, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-28, 20:39:
Judging how good C64Mini and Maxi sold - we can be pretty sure it will sell good as well. Hype is high - even among hardcore vin […]
Show full quote

Indeed. I guess I'm too much used to WinUAE for the last 20 years to see the appeal. :p

Reply 40936 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-28, 21:01:

Which in fact it is. But then again - even back in the day Amiga (when it comes to gaming) was always perceived by Commodore as sort of a gaming console - CDTV and CD32 is the best proof.

Nope. The Amiga is the worlds first multimedia computer. It started as a gaming console during devellopment, but evolved to a fully working pre-emptive multimedia computer that were 10 years ahead of everything. But it was so perfect for games, that most people used it only for that. One proof of the Amiga being a computer, is that it was used for critical parts of the space shuttle launch system. And it was used for effects in movies and television shows. Used for info-channels on cable tv. Used for producing music, used in the Superconducter Super Collider SSC near Dallas, used in millitaery systems like the GPALS, US geological survey, used for writing books on, and many many other places. The Amiga platform is not just a games console.

Reply 40937 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2021-10-28, 21:26:

Nope. The Amiga is the worlds first multimedia computer. It started as a gaming console during devellopment, but evolved to a fully working pre-emptive multimedia computer that were 10 years ahead of everything.

Tandy 1000 was 1 year ahead of Amiga when it comes to multimedia computers 😀

The Amiga platform is not just a games console.

I never said that. I said that when it comes to gaming it was perceived as console by Commodore.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40938 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-28, 21:50:
Tandy 1000 was 1 year ahead of Amiga when it comes to multimedia computers :) […]
Show full quote

Nope. The Amiga is the worlds first multimedia computer. It started as a gaming console during devellopment, but evolved to a fully working pre-emptive multimedia computer that were 10 years ahead of everything.

Tandy 1000 was 1 year ahead of Amiga when it comes to multimedia computers 😀

The Amiga platform is not just a games console.

I never said that. I said that when it comes to gaming it was perceived as console by Commodore.

I don't think the Tandy 1000 had pre emptive multitasking. But I could be wrong.

EDIT:
If Commodore never looked at the Amiga as anything else than a gaming console, then you will not find any advertisement at all from Commodore, that advertises the Amiga platform as non-gaming related. And they would never have started talks with eighter Sun or Silicon Graphics (I can not remember who it was), about using the Amiga3000-UX as a product in their lineup. And NASA would never have gotten meter high stacks of tech-papers on the platform, when they went for Amiga.

If you can find just one single ad' with Amiga, from Commodore, about anything non-gaming related. Then you know they thought about it as more than just a gaming platform.

EDIT, EDIT:
Sorry.... I forgot to add this. When I wrote that it started as a gaming console idea and expanded into a fully functioning computer during devellopment. Then that was when Commodore had nothing to do with Amiga at all. It was the Amiga INC company that develloped the Amiga. At first they were called Hi Toro, but took name change at some point. Jay Minor, the creator and father of the Amiga, was a former worker at Atari. He created arcade games and consoles. He also had a part in develloping the Atari 8bit line of computers. He saw that the future of computing were 16bit and when Atari did not want to make a 16bit, he resigned and founded Hi Toro that became Amiga INC. He borrowed money from Atari in order to complete the system, and when Jack Tramiel that were fired from Commodore bought Atari from Warner, then Amiga INC was bought by Commodore and they paid out the debt to Atari. And that is why we have Commodore Amiga and not Atari Amiga. But Commodore never invented the Amiga, they only refined and upgraded it through the years.

Reply 40939 of 52615, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2021-10-28, 20:59:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-28, 17:57:

Workbench? WTF is that?

That was obviously rhetorical, pertaining to those who only know how to use booters.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.