VOGONS

First post, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much better will upgrading to an I9 fix things? https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i9-9900K-Desktop … ps%2C147&sr=1-3 This is my chipset series:

I have an I7 and can run Win 98 just fine up to Pentium II 233 but when I use my live host CD things stutter (on certain programs) and I need the CD for some games that ISO's won't play which say 'Please Insert Disc' even if the ISO is loaded. So I'm looking to upgrade my I7 rig to I9. Any suggestions? Also: Dad is usually our fix it guy but he hasn't done anything like this in eons and not used to gaming stuff but looks at things with me so we did our own research and many say I9 is not any better for triple AAA games but what we are doing is NOT triple AAA games. This is PCEM were' talking about and no references.

Everyone says PCEM cannot do Win 98 but they are DEAD wrong and I do it all the time I prefer it over 95's suckyness: I have a VHD to prove it but the problem remains I cannot use my HOST CD very well and I don't know if it's down to emulation vs my host CPU. T

Oh and to some extent I can even do Windows 2000 for a few things that don't work on 98 due to being too old such as Sim City 3000 Unlimited which now I can do proper mouse speed! IE: The map doesn't jump all over the place! If you try Sim City 3000 Unlimited on 98 it says something about expecting a newer windows version error so I use Win 2000 so again how much will upgrading to this help me?

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SortingHat wrote on 2021-10-25, 10:31:

Everyone says PCEM cannot do Win 98 [..]

Um, okay.. Who says that? 😕
Sure PCem can do run Win98.
There's even a screen shot of it on the old homepage..
CPU emulation (Pentium/MMX/II) is advanced enough so it can even do Windows XP, according to another one.

Edit: Link fixed.

Attachments

• win98.png
    Filename
    win98.png
    File size
    240.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for the issue with stutter on the CD-ROM drive..
Maybe it's just spinning too fast? Did you try lowering speed?
If you choose constant velocity speed, the stutter might go away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_linear_velocity

Nero Burning ROM had an utility called "Nero Drive Speed".
Maybe you can try using that?

For old Win98 games, 4x or 8x speed should be plenty enough.
12x and higher may existed, but were tather high-end and likely not a minimum requirement.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-28, 21:54:
As for the issue with stutter on the CD-ROM drive.. Maybe it's just spinning too fast? Did you try lowering speed? If you choose […]
Show full quote

As for the issue with stutter on the CD-ROM drive..
Maybe it's just spinning too fast? Did you try lowering speed?
If you choose constant velocity speed, the stutter might go away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_linear_velocity

Nero Burning ROM had an utility called "Nero Drive Speed".
Maybe you can try using that?

For old Win98 games, 4x or 8x speed should be plenty enough.
12x and higher may existed, but were tather high-end and likely not a minimum requirement.

It seems to only be a problem With Zoombini's Mountain Rescue which luckily didn't spit out a 'Insert Disc' error when I made an ISO out of it so that's all fine now. Midtown Madness 2 runs just fine out of the CD but flips out when you run it thru an ISO saying it needs the disc. It's kinda weird as you'd think the racing games would struggle the most not a kids educational game! And how do you change that? Do I do it on my host or on PCEM itself somehow?

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Midtown Madness 2 has safedisc, so that's normal behavior for ISOs to not satisfy those checks (but passing the real CD can as it's checking on certain sectors and passing).

Also there's currently a performance bug with CD access eating at the CPU thread.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by xenaretos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think for most CD protection systems, mounting a CD image into daemon tools on the host system (with DRM emulation options checked) may help with that. I've heard of stuttering when using a real drive before, but it doesn't happen with virtual drives, even though they are technically "host".