VOGONS

Reply 20 of 47, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi i am aware of the pistorm project however at this point in time i am not very interested in it as i really want to keep this amiga as stock as possible hence why i wont even install a pi zero for the hdmi option.
as ive said previously i just really want to run workbench 3.1 but keep compatibility with all the old software. and stick to using the gotek as the main floppy. i may need to figure out how i can have 2 roms in the computer with some sort of switch to switch between them.

Reply 21 of 47, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-10-08, 08:36:

hi can we please keep the thread relevant to the A500 as im not interest in other computers atm thanks

FYI, the A500 and A2000 are extremely similar in design, the only major difference being that the A2000 has expansion slots. What is relevant to the A2000 is relevant to the A500 in terms of hardware and software.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 22 of 47, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-10-09, 08:20:

Hi i am aware of the pistorm project however at this point in time i am not very interested in it as i really want to keep this amiga as stock as possible hence why i wont even install a pi zero for the hdmi option.
as ive said previously i just really want to run workbench 3.1 but keep compatibility with all the old software. and stick to using the gotek as the main floppy. i may need to figure out how i can have 2 roms in the computer with some sort of switch to switch between them.

Kickstart switcher examples:
https://www.tindie.com/products/circuitbender … miga-kickstart/
https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenKickstartSwitcher
https://sordan.ie/product/550/dual-double-kic … -2000-switcher/
https://retro8bitshop.com/product/kickstart-s … amiga-500-2000/

Note, I haven't tried any of these because I run accelerator boards which have software kickstart switching built in.

Also, if you wanted a simple RAM upgrade + IDE, you can stack the IDE68K with something like the GottaGoFastRAM (8MB) .
https://github.com/LIV2/GottaGoFastRAM
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/A … 8K_Replica.html

If you haven't noticed, a lot of Amiga mods are DIY, unless you can find a pre-built solution which you'll pay a lot more for. Some of these mods are not in production anymore or don't have active group buys, so they are DIY.

My Github

Reply 24 of 47, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-10-09, 12:14:

Hi I found this. https://amigastore.eu/en/826-dual-kickstart-r … -switcher-.html
Has this got both the Kickstarters already on the chip? It may be what I'm looking for thx

Yes, that will work. Amigastore.eu is generally ok to order from.. but don't expect any support/RMA if something goes wrong. Myself as well as plenty other I know have been screwed over by them.

My Github

Reply 26 of 47, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-04, 16:40:

Unfortunately, to my experience, the Amiga community is obsessed with upgrading beyond recognition.
Thus, only a few modern programs will run on unmodified Amigas from the 1980s:
68000/68010* CPU, Kick 1.2/1.3, WB 1.2/1.3, OCS graphics

of course, because "amiga" is not only the amiga 500. there's also native 68020/30/40 amiga. and i don't even speak about 68060 accelerator.
this point is more or less like if you said "only few moderns programs will run on 8088" yes, that's true... since 81 a lot of things happened 😁

and yes, classic amiga evolved since 85, and they continue 😀

Reply 27 of 47, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-10-09, 12:31:
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-10-09, 12:14:

Hi I found this. https://amigastore.eu/en/826-dual-kickstart-r … -switcher-.html
Has this got both the Kickstarters already on the chip? It may be what I'm looking for thx

Yes, that will work. Amigastore.eu is generally ok to order from.. but don't expect any support/RMA if something goes wrong. Myself as well as plenty other I know have been screwed over by them.

Actually I do have good support/RMA experiences with Amigastore.eu. They did think along in solutions, send me a alternative part to test & try (which didn’t work, unfortunately) and then even took in my Amiga board for analysis 😀.

vkcpolice wrote on 2021-09-21, 14:06:

thanks for that i dont plan on getting an a 1200 anytime soon but i would like to pimp out my 500 as much as i can.

vkcpolice wrote on 2021-10-06, 09:08:

hi thanks all im very much set on keeping this pc original as possible. i just want to run workbench 3.1 so what kickstart rom do i need? what is the benefit of amiga os over the original workbench?

I’ve been reading this thread but I’m confused with your statements 😀. As for basic A500 use: take A500+512KB+extra diskdrive for less swapping. ROM version? Just 1.2/1.3. This will you’ll play it like original.

Not satisfied? Think about what you really want. Gotek is easy to use and opens up an easy route to download and play ADF.

Want more? Then go alll the way. You will need the latest ROM, more RAM, CF-IDE. In the thread other people have mentioned upgrade paths. If you use WHDLoad you really do need to upgrade to 1MB chip RAM.

Since you wrote you’re a DOS/C64 guy (well, at least for now 😀): go for the original/easy option. Buy the ROM switcher if you really need it and sniff up the Amiga A500 experience!

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 28 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
whaka wrote on 2021-10-10, 04:16:
of course, because "amiga" is not only the amiga 500. there's also native 68020/30/40 amiga. and i don't even speak about 68060 […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-04, 16:40:

Unfortunately, to my experience, the Amiga community is obsessed with upgrading beyond recognition.
Thus, only a few modern programs will run on unmodified Amigas from the 1980s:
68000/68010* CPU, Kick 1.2/1.3, WB 1.2/1.3, OCS graphics

of course, because "amiga" is not only the amiga 500. there's also native 68020/30/40 amiga. and i don't even speak about 68060 accelerator.
this point is more or less like if you said "only few moderns programs will run on 8088" yes, that's true... since 81 a lot of things happened 😁

and yes, classic amiga evolved since 85, and they continue 😀

There's a difference, though, I think. 😀 If you added a NEC V20/V30 to any random XT,
it would become very compatible with most DOS software, way up to the end of the 90s.

The special case might be games, which from. 1993 onwards often needed 386 instructions and Protected-Mode.
Pure Real-Mode applications, as found on 286/AT systems, would work still.

While these applications supported XMS, EMS etc, they rarely required it.
Recent business applications like databases thus worked on XTs towards the turn of millennium.
In fact, such AT compatible DOS programs are still in use on 32-Bit Windows PCs installed in shops.

The Amiga platform was different, though. Amiga programs didn't use different code paths, or used drivers for different video hardware etc.

In terms of compatibility, Amigas were/are more like Macs, I think. Mac OS applications contain a minimum OS requirement information in their headers.
If the program was written on, say, System 7.5.1, it won't execute on 7.5.0 - even if that OS has all the API functions needed! 😔

Edit: But what I really ment to address was something entirely different!
Real, serious Amiga use declined quickly past 1990.
And all that freaky stuff Amiga users brag about is from the 90s, sadly.

What I talked about was something different though.:
Normal, casual users. Not computer freaks with an obsession for demoscene (such as me). Users who used their Amiga for work or education.
Users that operated their model train, the rotots for astronomy telescope, amateurs who did do Packet Radio, RTTY or Slow Scan TV.
Users who wrote applications for artificial intelligence, did write their doctoral thesis on an Amiga.
Users that did use commercial DTP software, pro users which used the Amigs to control robots or deep see probes.
Users who used Amigas for dream analysis (psychiatrists) or ran Amigas in a research facility.

All these users slowly gave up on the Amiga after the 80s ended and got a Mac or PC.
Alas, none of the Amiga users I saw does or wants to acknowledge that reality.

When the 90s began, the Amiga stopped being a "general purpose" computer for many normal computer users (laymen/laywomen, if you will).

Hence, from my point-of-view, at least, the only real, common Amiga models were the A1000, A500, A1500, A2000 and relates serie from the 1980s.
I say "Real", because they were around when the Amiga platform still mattered, when it was used by non-fans also.
And these machines ran on WB/Kick 1.x during that time, making those the authentic OSes from the Amiga's hayday.

Let's think about it! If you ask any elderly person on street if he/she still remembers the Amiga, what will be the most likely answer(s) ? 😁
a) My personal life is none of your business.
b) Huh ? Wasn't that a record label ?
c) Ah, yes, I had an Amiga 500 when I was a teenager. Played a lot of Turricane.
d) I had an Amiga 1000 when I started my IT career.
e) We had Amiga 2000 machines at work, I think. Gosh, that's a long way down the memory lane.
f) Yes, sir. I had a humble A4000 with an 3x overclocked PPC upgrade board, 20" VGA monitor, 4x 1.5GB SCSI HDDs, a 1200 dpi laser printer, first-gen LCD monitor, VR goggles,
data glove and an Kick 1/2/3 adapter board with toggle switch and with MagicWB. I used it for word processing, marketing analysis and writing down my grandma's recipes.

And please don't mention that Video Toaster, that thing was NTSC-only. 😀

Edit: Several edits. Sorry, it's hard to write on a mobile devices. Fixed it on PC.
Edit: I just noticed that my English is awful. In this posting, at least. Unfortunately, it's sunday and I'm to lazy to rewrite all of it. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 47, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thandor ive changed my mind 🤣
after doing a little research and reading all the guys feedback here i did not relise how complicated and expensive the amiga was compared to other computers.
that's why i want to just run the lasted or better version of workbench without having to do any really difficult mods.
in the future having a hard drive with the entire games library installed would be a dream but at the moment i don't have the technical knowledge and there seems to be so many different mods out there some with good support and some that are no longer supported that i think i would just like to stick to the gotek but upgrade the rom so i can run a better version of amiga os or workbench.
im not very good with diy kits however im ok with buying prebuilt mods and installing setting up software ect. however once again there is the costs of these kits that i have found to be very pricey living here in Australia where our dollar is worth almost 50c anywhere in the world its not easy.

Reply 30 of 47, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-10, 07:09:

There's a difference, though, I think. 😀 If you added a NEC V20/V30 to any random XT,
it would become very compatible with most DOS software, way up to the end of the 90s.

i don't really get your point here. the fact is few moderns program run on 8088. even if V20 or 30.

The Amiga platform was different, though. Amiga programs didn't use different code paths, or used drivers for different video hardware etc.

In terms of compatibility, Amigas were/are more like Macs, I think. Mac OS applications contain a minimum OS requirement information in their headers.
If the program was written on, say, System 7.5.1, it won't execute on 7.5.0 - even if that OS has all the API functions needed! 😔

devlopper can set a limit for the kickstart version. the kickstart contain some libraries used by (and are part of) the OS and their version sometimes matter.
but from 1985 to nowdays, kickstart/workbench can and has always been uprgadable on all amiga. there's no real "artificial" software limitation.
the only comparison with mac is they used same cpus. but politics and spirit were really different 😀

Reply 31 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
whaka wrote on 2021-10-10, 13:57:

i don't really get your point here. the fact is few moderns program run on 8088. even if V20 or 30.

I thought thw same, originally. But the more I experimented with an XT and DOS programs, I realized that the NEC series CPUs are slightly higher evolved than the 80186, even.

And In terms of compatibility, both V20/V30 and 8018x are on par with the 80286 processor.

That means, as far as I can tell, that they can run most normal DOS programs - about 90% or so are fine with the 286 instruction set.

They only relevant things both 8018x and the NECs are missing are the MMU and Protected-Mode. So no Windows 3.1 party time, hi.
However, the unpatched Windows 3.0 VGA driver (186 instructions!) will work on a XT if a V20/30 is installed.

Only a few DOS programs that run in Real-Mode use 386+ instructions, also.
The Creative drivers are among ofthem (not surprisingly).
- On a 286 system, 386+ instructions can even be intercepted through NMIs/CPU Exception Faults and emulated. EMU386 does use that, for example.

So long story short, most DOS programs from the 90s require these things:
- 80286 processor (or similar or higher)
- MS-DOS 3.2 or compatible or higher
- 512 or 640KB base memory (installed, not free)
- VGA

VGA.. VGA may seem like a luxury, especially to Amiga users.
However, VGA never was meant as a luxury. It was designed to be cheap right from the start.
And many users replaced their old video boards through VGA cards from. The late 1980s onwards, making VGA a defacto standard that united all the video modes of its predecessors (MDA, CGA, EGA, MCGA) into one device.
Even IBM itself advertised VGA to IBM PC/XT users.

Exceptions.. In some cases, an FPU aka NPU is also required.
That's the case if the application uses floating point.
Programs from the 486 era sometimes need that capability.

On a 286 and later, a NPU can be emulated in software through the same trickery that EMU386 uses.
That's why some DOS Compilers have both a FPU emulator and a floating-point library to choose from.
If the application is linked with the FPU emulator, it can make use of FPU commands - which comes in handy if it is run on a PC with a physical FPU.

However, that doesn't work on a XT, since EM87 etc need the exception handling feature of a 286 or higher CPU.
So in order to use floating-point arithmetics here (no 87 installed), a floating-point runtime must be used which doesn't act like a FPU.

Last but not least, there's the BIOS.
Some later programs may need service routines present in the AT BIOS only.
These won't work on XTs, unless they run on modernized BIOSes.
However, well written programs typically used DOS as some sort of HAL, if it was possible, not BIOS functions. 😀

whaka wrote on 2021-10-10, 13:57:
devlopper can set a limit for the kickstart version. the kickstart contain some libraries used by (and are part of) the OS and t […]
Show full quote

devlopper can set a limit for the kickstart version. the kickstart contain some libraries used by (and are part of) the OS and their version sometimes matter.
but from 1985 to nowdays, kickstart/workbench can and has always been uprgadable on all amiga. there's no real "artificial" software limitation.
the only comparison with mac is they used same cpus. but politics and spirit were really different 😀

I did talk about the philosophy, yes.
Amiga programs wriiten in the 90s rarely ran, if at all, on unmodified Amigas from the 1980s.

To make programs run, they had to be upgraded heavily.
Especially those awkward 68040-68060 accelerator boards, not to mention PowerPC processor boards.

I mean, a little RAM upgrade and a simple CPU swap (68000 out, 68010 in) is one thing.
Installing an huge, expensive behemoth of a CPU card something completely different.
It's like installing a parasite on a host.

And the PPC things were the upshot, replacing the whole architecture M68k of an Amiga.
They're as alien as that crazy SuperCPU addon for the C64.

Sure, each to his own. It's a freaky thing for computer freaks. That's fine.

But my point is: That's not what the normal Amiga users have or had.
That's what I meant to say. In order to use hobbyists software from the 90s written by Amiga die-hards (commercial software went extinct), someone needs a Frankenstein Amiga. The ubiquitous Kick 1 - 2/3 EPROM board is the least to be worried about.

Hence, I agreed with user hyoenmadan
that back then, real Amigas were affordable but that now emulation is the way to go.
Emulators can emulate most of these funny upgrades that became a requirement.

Edit: I'm sorry for my English again. Writing on a mobile device is not easy. It will constantly replace the words I type in.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 47, by fxgogo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi vkcpolice. I have just finished restoring and updating my A500. If your aim is to play games and mess with software from the day, you really can stay with the original kickstart and OS that came with your machine. There is no real benefit to upgrading, you actually will introduce slight incompatibilities with certain games. The vast majority of games supported the 1.2/1.3 Amigas. Even modern games that are being made today support that machine, Metal Gear for example.

A Gotek is a very useful upgrade and I added the rgb2hdmi mod so I get a brilliant picture on my modern flat panel screens.

Reply 33 of 47, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

fxgogo thankyou
i am sort of going with the rgb to hdmi converter option atm till someone brings out a better hdmi option as i cant figure out how to get a hdmi out put on the case and dont like cables hanging out.
yes that pretty much all i would like to do is run office software from the days and paint programs ect. i did want a nicer workbench as i find 1.3 a little ugly

Reply 34 of 47, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are applying a PC mentality to an architecture which was designed for a completely different purpose and worked a completely different way. XMS, EMS etc are all kludges to overcome design limitations of x86 memory models in the first place. No such concept as limited memory models like this on the Amiga. This is a 'PC' thing, not a 'computer' thing. Different code paths exist because there could be a myriad of different configurations of hardware and the 'baseline' to go from was very limited (you need all these fancy extras to really have a decent experience).

They introduce problems since the badly written code can have numerous permutations that are not accounted for and thus cause problems during runtime. Only way to ensure is to test on every possible hardware configuration... (good luck with that on a PC, even from the early 90's).... How many Amigas do you think OCS, ECS and even AGA needed to be tested on?

Hence less problems in software and a less error prone experience. You could buy a game in the shop, look at the requirements and know that it would work on your Amiga. For the same PC title, even if you think you met the requirements, there was still a good chance it wouldn't work the way it was advertised due to the hardware not playing nicely with each other. Amiga was more like a console with a keyboard in this respect.

Also this isn't correct. If you have ever written an Amiga program you would know what happens in this scenario. Generally speaking, programs don't check what chipset is avaliable and then 'choose' a code path... and they certainly don't have artificial limitations placed on them based on OS version checking like you mention. The program is purchased for the hardware (e.g An AGA program would only run on AGA... also given AGA is A1200 or A4000, it can also be assumed that 68020 is present and so relevant instructions can be used). An A4000 (68030) would just run it a bit faster, but since the chipset timings were fixed to NTSC, PAL, there wouldn't be any speed sensitive problems. What you describe are all problems PC's have, but you need to understand that while an Amiga is a computer.. it is not a PC, and does not behave like a PC.

And please don't mention that Video Toaster, that thing was NTSC-only. 😀

Amiga was always meant as a multi-media machine, it was designed with arcade hardware in mind, so reducing it to a simple electronics controller or database system is completely missing the point of what an Amiga is, what the target market was, why most people purchased it, and how it was used back in the day.

Yes you could do stuff like databases etc, but this was not it's target market, and while some people certinaly did get one as a home computing solution to do these things, most people who got one (I can only speak of my experience and others I knew with them at the time) did not get it for databases. Not many people who even worked with databases day to day would have needed this capability at home.

P.S Video toaster was used to produce many (and I mean many) CGI from the 90's including, most famously Babylon 5. So actually if you want to talk about 'REAL' users, then this is exactly the kind of application you should be talking about. Not databases.

Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-11, 05:49:

Amiga programs wriiten in the 90s rarely ran, if at all, on unmodified Amigas from the 1980s.

You couldn't be more wrong. 90% of the games that defined the Amiga were written in the early-mid 90's. Literally the only modifcation an A500 might need was 1 Meg upgrade for games such as Prince of Persia etc. Everything else was a luxury, and if it was written for OCS... it would run on pretty much EVERY Amiga.

VGA.. VGA may seem like a luxury, especially to Amiga users.

Hardly, when VGA became maintstream, Amiga users were already used to vibrant colours and smooth scrolling. SVGA becoming mainstream was the turning point for 'some' users... for me personally it was 3D. I can honestly say, in terms of games, nothing on the PC turned my head until about 93/94... and even then it was a while before I really felt the 'need' to get a PC for gaming... of course price was a massive factor too. PC's were just too expensive to justify getting if you were into gaming. They were literally thousands compared to low-hundreds for an Amiga (in UK prices).

Also while VGA etc were designed in the 80's... they weren't really prevailent or used for games until the 90's (minus a few outliers of course).

And the PPC things were the upshot, replacing the whole architecture M68k of an Amiga.

Which happended after the death of classic Amiga/Commodore... which is the 'Amiga' that made Amiga and gave it its legacy. Everything else (after '95) was just flogging a dead horse imo and not really anything to do with the legacy that made it famous in the first place.

But my point is: That's not what the normal Amiga users have or had.
That's what I meant to say. In order to use hobbyists software from the 90s written by Amiga die-hards (commercial software went extinct), someone needs a Frankenstein Amiga. The ubiquitous Kick 1 - 2/3 EPROM board is the least to be worried about.

Honestly, it seems like you neither had an experience with an Amiga or really understood what it was back in the day. It hads it day, it was a major step in home computing history but was not all these things you seem to be making it out to be. It is NOT a PC, and you cannot apply the same mentality that has been used with PC's for the last 20+ years to a system which was designed and worked a completely different way during an era when most of the things you describe were not even considered the same way they are now. Chasing Mhz, larger RAM etc... these were not things that many Amiga users cared about (can't speak for every user of course) because the technological steps during it's usable lifetime were not chasing Mhz or RAM sizes... it was the chipset. Ironically, exaclty the same thing that (as history as told us) became it's achilles heel, but wasn't at the time.

In this sesne, it was not 'logical progression' that we have now, the mentality of the progression was different.

fxgogo wrote on 2021-10-11, 07:20:

Hi vkcpolice. I have just finished restoring and updating my A500. If your aim is to play games and mess with software from the day, you really can stay with the original kickstart and OS that came with your machine. There is no real benefit to upgrading, you actually will introduce slight incompatibilities with certain games. The vast majority of games supported the 1.2/1.3 Amigas. Even modern games that are being made today support that machine, Metal Gear for example.

Agreed. KS1.x and 1Meg upgrade would give an above average exeprience of A500 from back in the day... KS2.X for A600/A500+ etc... and KS3.1 for A1200/A4000 etc. To prevent disk juggling, an HD would be great.

Reply 35 of 47, by fxgogo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I would show you the results of my A500 mods. It might give you some ideas.

I have a Gotek inside the machine and the original floppy. One of the switches toggles between the two. The other switch enables and disables the ram expansion. The button is for the menu for the RGB2HDMI. And you can see the HDMI port there.

A500 rear.jpg
Filename
A500 rear.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The display for the Gotek is just next to the power and drive lights. I still need to feed the LED's for the Gotek to sit next to this display.

A500 top.png
Filename
A500 top.png
File size
377.37 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The USB port is placed in the same area as the floppy drive. Made logical sense and the rotary switch to control the gotek is just a little closer to the keyboard on the same side.

A500 side.jpg
Filename
A500 side.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 36 of 47, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean, a little RAM upgrade and a simple CPU swap (68000 out, 68010 in) is one thing.
Installing an huge, expensive behemoth of a CPU card something completely different.
It's like installing a parasite on a host.

it's a really weird point of view. in fact, you don't like the native ability of the amiga to be seriously extended without changing the whole machine ?
really, i can't get that.

and you seems to forget one important thing.
the amiga is not only the 500. don't forget about amiga 2/3/4000. they were natively shipped with 020/030/040.

yes, a pure 68k amiga can become a "pentium" or ppc, just by adding a card. then, what's the problem ?

Reply 38 of 47, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fxgogo wrote on 2021-10-13, 09:49:
Thought I would show you the results of my A500 mods. It might give you some ideas. […]
Show full quote

Thought I would show you the results of my A500 mods. It might give you some ideas.

I have a Gotek inside the machine and the original floppy. One of the switches toggles between the two. The other switch enables and disables the ram expansion. The button is for the menu for the RGB2HDMI. And you can see the HDMI port there.
A500 rear.jpg

The display for the Gotek is just next to the power and drive lights. I still need to feed the LED's for the Gotek to sit next to this display.
A500 top.png

The USB port is placed in the same area as the floppy drive. Made logical sense and the rotary switch to control the gotek is just a little closer to the keyboard on the same side.
A500 side.jpg

fxgogo - I love your Amiga mods! I have decided to try out SCART to HDMI before I go for the RGBtoHDMI mod. Right now I also have my gotek installed externally and a switch used to switch drive assignment between internal. I only have a 512 memory expansion board. Is there ever a need to disable the 512 or does your memory expansion extend more? I am curious I have not tried many games and don't know which would need to have memory disabled. That would be something I would probably go for next although doing it on a traditional a501 board would require some research. Thanks for posting! Amiga are really cool! I never had one growing up and am only recently discovering their charm

Reply 39 of 47, by fxgogo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks mbliss11. It was a pet project done during lock down. Like lots of us, I got my kit out of the cupboard and started using them. Regarding the memory disable switch, I really think that is for a very small subset of early Amiga games. I put it in as I had a switch on the board so it was a quick job. I will most likely end up using that for another purpose. I would like to get a CF hard drive solution in there. I don't want an accelerator though. This will be a games machine and a place to play with Workbench 1.3