VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bonzille

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been learning how to use DosBox over the last couple of weeks and most things I have found to be way easier than I thought they would be. I am having some issues with pkunzip it works well but how do you tell it to unzip to a ceratin folder as I would like to keep all my games in seperate folders.

I have installed pkunzip to c:\oldgames and any game in the folder I can unzip but I can't seem to unzip any archive that isn't in the same folder as Pkunzip is there any way to tell pkunzip the path to the folder that the zip archive is in.

Thank you

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

To be able to use PKUNZIP outside of C:\OLDGAMES you should add that directory into to the PATH environment variable. In this case it should be the following:

SET PATH=C:\OLDGAMES;%PATH%

%PATH% is to keep the original PATH environment variable intact while adding the new directory and I recommend adding this line in DOSBox configuration file on the [autoexec] section so you don't have to type this each time when starting DOSBox.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding pkunzip to the path is of course the way to go with such a utility that you use often.

Generally speaking, you can also specify the full location of a program to run it from a different location, for example
C:\DOOM> C:\OLDGAMES\PKUNZIP.EXE ...

Reply 3 of 7, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not just use Winzip or a similar program for Windows?

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-10-30, 09:40:

Why not just use Winzip or a similar program for Windows?

I was also thinking the same, but looks like the OP wants to learn doing it within DOSBox.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also 7zip for DOS if you want to use something current that you'd also potentially likely use on a modern OS if/when you didn't want to use a GUI
7-Zip Benchmark, DOS Edition

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by bonzille

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-10-30, 08:01:

Adding pkunzip to the path is of course the way to go with such a utility that you use often.

Generally speaking, you can also specify the full location of a program to run it from a different location, for example
C:\DOOM> C:\OLDGAMES\PKUNZIP.EXE ...

Thank you finally got the hang of it not that I think I will use it that much as I find it way easier to use 7 zipper and extract the files straight to the folder but it is nice to know how to do these things as my first PC was a Windows 98 PC so I never got to use Dos .