VOGONS

First post, by MetaG64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I want to thank Dege and anybody else involved with dgVoodoo2. I find it to be one of the best wrappers by far for many reasons I can't begin to list.

The Phantom Menace has almost all of its graphical glitches fixed thanks to DGV2, however the two most severe issues remain:

Issue 1: Missing Fog

Fog.png
Filename
Fog.png
File size
415.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This game uses W-Fog. I read in another thread for another game with a similar issue where it was recommended using one of the other virtual card options to fix this, but TPM does not work with any of them. It fails to start with all but the default one.

On a side note, the fog is fixed in narzoul's DDrawCompat wrapper and in Peixoto's Patch.

---

Issue 2: Decals Not Rendering Over Non-Transparent Surfaces

Decals.png
Filename
Decals.png
File size
220.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In addition to scorch marks and bullet holes, decals also include the "shadows" under characters.

As seen above, decals are only appearing over surfaces with partial or complete transparency (i.e. windows, holes in gratings, etc).

So far, no wrapper has fixed this issue. I tried dozens. The only one to have made some progress towards fixing it is DGV2. Since version v2.6 (released: 2019.07.04), the decals began to flicker/ alternate between appearing over and under non-transparent surfaces, usually triggered by moving the character and camera.

It would be nice to finally run this game with all of its graphics intact, but I appreciate your work either way.

Reply 2 of 9, by MetaG64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While it does use some of the same file formats as other Lucas Arts games, TPM does not use the Sith engine like those you mentioned, so the fixes are incompatible.

It uses an original engine created by Big Ape Productions, which they nicknamed "Obi".

Reply 3 of 9, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have good news. I had a little time to have a quick look at it and I fixed both problems.
The failed DX init through non-default virtual cards is actually a bug which I fixed and this also solved the fog-problem. So, I think it's the usual problem: the game wants w-fog with T&L vertices but leaves the projection matrix set to orthogonal projection. (The default card follows the DX specification so this combination will still not work with that.)

I also improved the z-biasing implementation a bit, it's working details is very poorly defined in the D3D specs (and the z-buffering method used in this game is not the usual one). This fixed the shadow and scorch marks.
I'll release a patch version some day, that'll contain the fixes.

Reply 4 of 9, by MetaG64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome! I never had a PC that was able to render all of the game's graphics properly. Even my oldest PCs were always missing one or two effects. I imagine these issues were very widespread. This is a big deal for this game.

Between this and your FPU fix, TPM is finally behaving like a normal PC game, probably for the first time ever.

I also really appreciate the little explanations. After years of searching for fixes, it feels very vindicating to know the causes.

Thank you!

Reply 5 of 9, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Altough I already fixed some other things in dgVoodoo, I still don't know when to expect a new release, so I publish the fix here. So, you can use and test it and see if still there is a problem somewhere: 😊

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodoo2_76_TPM_fix.zip

Reply 6 of 9, by MetaG64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really appreciate that, thanks! I can confirm that it is fully playable without any fear of missing out on any effects.

Though there is actually a minor issue that I've never noticed before now; it seems to have been present since previous versions of DGV2.

When forcing a resolution, there is some artifacting around text in the Load Game menu and in the Options submenus when they are accessed from the main menu.

The artifacts disappear when exiting and returning to the options menus, but the ones on the load game menu never go away.

There are no artifacts when accessing these same menus from the in-game pause menu.

There are no issues at all when playing with unforced resolutions or with integer scaling.

Nothing major, thanks again!

Reply 9 of 9, by Choum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MetaG64 wrote on 2021-10-30, 21:37:

In the DirectX settings, you need to select any one of the two GeForce virtual cards or the ATI one to get the fog working.

There is no fog when using the default one or the Matrox option.

Thank you it work now.