First post, by jynks
I am interested in getting DosBox to play more complex music. I never had midi as a kid so I'm keen to hear all the old games with midi sound....
In ScummVM I use FATBOY's soundFont and enjoy it and would like to get DosBox running with midi as well.
I was told ages ago to use the DosBox ECE fork as it has a lot of patches and stuff built in and it more "out of the box" experience for someone that is not hugely techy or interested in "exactly like the old days" emulation.
The thing is I am confused by all the options for sound. Google shows me that there is FludSynth, Timidity and ECE has its own MT32 Emulator built in.... there are probably other options... I am just confused
I downloaded LINK REMOVED bunch of MT32 Roms from a google drive[/url] that google search found. It has 5 Roms listed...
- I also downloaded FatBoys's SoundFont : FatBoy-v0.790.sf2
- I also downloaded TiMidity++ : TiMidity++-2.15.0-w32.zip
Now the problem is I have no idea how to use them, and also how to CHOOSE between them.
The [midi] section has a ton of options and text.... and the [gus] section also has a bunch of options (and this is where it says to use TiMidity++)
I know I need to put the roms (but which ones!) for the MT32 into a directory and point "mt32.romdir=" to it.... I also know I need to point "fluid.soundfont=" to the fatBoy's soundFont
The [gus] setting "ultradir =" needs midi patch files location.. "Patch sets used with Timidity should work fine." Are those patches in the TiMidity++ zip I downloaded?
- Do those dirs need to be mapped to directories on my host machine, or mapped to paths "inside" DosBox on the mounted Cdrive?
- Can I enable all three and just choose what to use in the sound options during game install?
- What setup do you recommend?
- I'd appreciate any comments on how to best set this up
- Is there a quick way to test the midi without installing a bunch of games?
Thanks for your time and with luck demystifying midi sound on DosBox ECE.