VOGONS

First post, by utri007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm new here and here is why I registered account here. Any ideas and hints?

I have a KCS Power PC board inside of Amiga 500 Computer. I have managed to add hard drive to it and it works just fine. It has a 10mhz 8086 CPU and it uses Amiga's video and ports.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/powerpc

Currently only way to transfer files to hard drive, is 720kb disk images. It (Amiga) has a Gotek installed as a disk drive.

I have tried to transfer files over serial without a luck. I can make a connection and read file / folder lista, but transfer always ends up to CRC error.

I have 100% working cable, as I can use it with Amiga side. Software I have tried is File Maven 3.5. I have tried to use DosBox, VMware virtual machine and Windows XP 32bit.

Any Ideas better software or what should I do? I have increased COM buffers, tried different handsakes etc.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would normally just use the Interlnk/Intersvr from DOS 6 but that requires a second DOS computer obviously. Parallel is faster than serial, if you have a "Laplink" cable (Assman WSW AK250 is one that is still manufactured).

However, I don't know how this PC board piggybacks on your Amiga's serial ports. Either side (the Amiga or XT) could be overwhelmed with the interrupts. What if you drastically lower the baud rate to something like 1200 or 2400?

Reply 3 of 9, by utri007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dataino.it wrote on 2021-11-01, 22:52:

I tried, when I start it, it tells that it requires 286 cpu. Maybe I can try to find older version of it?

Reply 4 of 9, by utri007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-11-01, 23:34:

I would normally just use the Interlnk/Intersvr from DOS 6 but that requires a second DOS computer obviously. Parallel is faster than serial, if you have a "Laplink" cable (Assman WSW AK250 is one that is still manufactured).

However, I don't know how this PC board piggybacks on your Amiga's serial ports. Either side (the Amiga or XT) could be overwhelmed with the interrupts. What if you drastically lower the baud rate to something like 1200 or 2400?

I have another DOS computer, it is running top of VMware. I have tried Inter Interlnk / intersvr, but this have a MSDOS5.0, so it doesn't work. MSDOS 5.0 was last version wich was released with 720kb floppies. If someone tells me a easy way to install MSDOS6.22 with 720kb floppies I'm interested. I have only a serial cable.

Board manual says that it works 19200 bauds, but I should try to lower it.

Reply 6 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can get the interlnk/intersrv files here - http://www.pcxt-micro.com/dos-interlink.html

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

File transfer - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9EoRA8ETUs
Remote drive - Re: 386 , what can I do with it?
Remote desktop/VNC - Remote desktop software for DOS (TINY)
Null modem cable FAQ - A Null-Modem is a Null Modem, right?

Edit: Please note - XTs had old UART/FiFo chips often..
They can't use very high baud rates without careful timing/specifically written programs.
Upto 9600 Baud (roughly) should be fine in practice, though.
The 16550A was a common upgrade for older systems. It was not seldomly retrofitted in the 90s, when dial-up modems got faster.
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-18.html

Edit:

It has a 10mhz 8086 CPU and it uses Amiga's video and ports.

In case some of the software doesn't run, a NEC V20 CPU might increase compatibility with newer DOS drivers/applications.
The NEC V20/V30 has additional 16-Bit instructions found in 80186 and 80286 CPUs.
It's also a bit quicker and has 8080 emulation mode.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On Aminet there's a utility called TwinExpress that has Amiga and PC Executables, it's good for PC<>PC transfers too on low hardware.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.