VOGONS

Reply 780 of 929, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I will be testing many modules in the XT Nec v20 12mhz + SB Pro 2.0 and in the 386DX40mhz + SBPro 2.0 and GUS Classic, I'm sure I'm testing modules all afternoon

Reply 781 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thierry wrote on 2021-10-23, 15:22:

Today I will be testing many modules in the XT Nec v20 12mhz + SB Pro 2.0 and in the 386DX40mhz + SBPro 2.0 and GUS Classic, I'm sure I'm testing modules all afternoon

Nice,

With Mod Master XT ?
Did you find problems ?

Reply 782 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-10-25, 08:11:

Hi FreddyV,

Are you planning on maybe adding a graphical user interface to Mod Master XT in the future ?
Something simple, small and lightweight, that works well with (hercules) monochrome, CGA, EGA and up maybe...
If you'd rather work on the engine, maybe the actual UI design could be done by someone else with design skills...

Terrence

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 783 of 929, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Very nice player for XT-class machines indeed!

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?
-WAV/VOC playback support?
-Alternative MIDI player (PX Player)?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 784 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxx1234 wrote on 2021-11-03, 07:42:
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?

Thank you in advance.

I second the idea of adding .WAV and maybe also .AIFF playback, so I can play high bitrate (eg 44,1 or 48 KHz, 8 bit mono WAV files), decent quality music through a COVOX board,
and turn my HP 200LX into an "MP3" player, albeit with only 2GB of CF storage, i'll only be able to take at most 9 or 10 albums with me... 😀
If it can mix together 4 8-bit samples at 22KHz and play the result through a COVOX board, i'm pretty sure it should be able to just stream a single 44,1Khz 8-bit mono sample aswell,
as there's no mixing and transposition processing involved...

Yours,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 785 of 929, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tested mod master on my old xt with a sound commander EX (sb 1.5? compatible) soundcard and after one use it just does not detect the soundcard, which leaves me unable to use it and have to do a cold reset.
GLX with /oSB always plays through the card even if modmaster doesn't.

Any clues on were to look, or how to solve ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 786 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-01, 02:27:
Hi FreddyV, […]
Show full quote
FreddyV wrote on 2021-10-25, 08:11:

Hi FreddyV,

Are you planning on maybe adding a graphical user interface to Mod Master XT in the future ?
Something simple, small and lightweight, that works well with (hercules) monochrome, CGA, EGA and up maybe...
If you'd rather work on the engine, maybe the actual UI design could be done by someone else with design skills...

Terrence

Hi,

Somebody proposed me to do this also.
But graphic on CGA... 😀

Working on the "Sound System" Code, to release it one day.
So, if somebody want to do a GUI for it, no problem 😀

Reply 787 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-03, 12:09:

I've tested mod master on my old xt with a sound commander EX (sb 1.5? compatible) soundcard and after one use it just does not detect the soundcard, which leaves me unable to use it and have to do a cold reset.

Hi,

I have no idea what this soundcard is.
Is it detected by games ?
What is the /oSB GLX Option ?

Reply 788 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-03, 08:37:
I second the idea of adding .WAV and maybe also .AIFF playback, so I can play high bitrate (eg 44,1 or 48 KHz, 8 bit mono WAV fi […]
Show full quote
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?

Thank you in advance.

I second the idea of adding .WAV and maybe also .AIFF playback, so I can play high bitrate (eg 44,1 or 48 KHz, 8 bit mono WAV files), decent quality music through a COVOX board,
and turn my HP 200LX into an "MP3" player, albeit with only 2GB of CF storage, i'll only be able to take at most 9 or 10 albums with me... 😀
If it can mix together 4 8-bit samples at 22KHz and play the result through a COVOX board, i'm pretty sure it should be able to just stream a single 44,1Khz 8-bit mono sample aswell,

Yours,
Radiance

Hi,

It is not really needed, as you can just use Mod MAster under DOSBox and export to .WAV with DOSBox 😀
Any other player can work (Even if I realize now that Mod Master has one of the best replay compatibility/Quality for .MOD in 8Bit output)

Reply 789 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
Do you have a link to PX Player ?

For WSS, as 99% of the WSS compatible cards are also SB compatible, it is definitely not a priority.
Code for WSS is also not that simple.
For VOC/WAV, I answered above.

Reply 790 of 929, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-11-09, 12:48:
Hi, Do you have a link to PX Player ? […]
Show full quote
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
Do you have a link to PX Player ?

For WSS, as 99% of the WSS compatible cards are also SB compatible, it is definitely not a priority.
Code for WSS is also not that simple.
For VOC/WAV, I answered above.

I thought about WSS because of the higher playback quality (compared to SBPro) - I understand that supporting it may be difficult...
About PX Player: PX Player: play MID and XMI files under DOS

Thank you for answering!

Reply 791 of 929, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2021-11-09, 12:43:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-03, 12:09:

Hi,

I have no idea what this soundcard is.
Is it detected by games ?
What is the /oSB GLX Option ?

it's something of a soundblaster-ish clone.
the /oSB option for glx selects the soundblaster output.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 792 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just thrown the Hybrid Song (.xm) at modm and apart from it not sounding perfect (which was expected), I found it to mess with the UI a little 😉
https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?modu … 187#external.xm

(edit: it's actually happening on other .xm also)

Reply 793 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-11-09, 12:45:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
I second the idea of adding .WAV and maybe also .AIFF playback, so I can play high bitrate (eg 44,1 or 48 KHz, 8 bit mono WAV fi […]
Show full quote
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Any chance of:
-Adding WSS support?

Thank you in advance.

Yours,
Radiance

Hi,

It is not really needed, as you can just use Mod MAster under DOSBox and export to .WAV with DOSBox 😀
Any other player can work (Even if I realize now that Mod Master has one of the best replay compatibility/Quality for .MOD in 8Bit output)

I've been searching for months and have not found ANY DOS wave player that runs on a 8086 and up.
There is one called WAVEPLAY.EXE, but if you feed it a 44.1KHz or 48KHz 8-bit mono wave file, it just says the file format is not supported.
Also any other working 22KHz etc... WAV files with WAVEPLAY.EXE are loaded into memory first, then played, so forget playing anything larger than ~600KB.
It's useless.

Being able to stream a large 44.1KHz or 48Khz 8-bit mono WAV file to a parallel port COVOX board with Mod Master XT would be REALLY useful and I could really use it,
in fact, i'll happily make a demo video about it on my HP palmtop youtube channel. Going from a CD to 8bit mono is 4x smaller, so I could
put a dozen or so of my favorite CDs on my 2GB compactflash card and play them on my 200LX!
When properly resampled and exported from Audacity, it sounds nearly as good as a 44.1Khz 16-bit file, you can hear the difference off course,
but still it sounds really good.! I can post a sample if you want.

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 794 of 929, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I have found one SBPlay: https://www.sac.sk/download/sound/sbply258.zip

radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-13, 20:52:
I've been searching for months and have not found ANY DOS wave player that runs on a 8086 and up. There is one called WAVEPLAY.E […]
Show full quote
Hi, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yours,
Radiance

Hi,

I've been searching for months and have not found ANY DOS wave player that runs on a 8086 and up.
There is one called WAVEPLAY.EXE, but if you feed it a 44.1KHz or 48KHz 8-bit mono wave file, it just says the file format is not supported.
Also any other working 22KHz etc... WAV files with WAVEPLAY.EXE are loaded into memory first, then played, so forget playing anything larger than ~600KB.
It's useless.

Being able to stream a large 44.1KHz or 48Khz 8-bit mono WAV file to a parallel port COVOX board with Mod Master XT would be REALLY useful and I could really use it,
in fact, i'll happily make a demo video about it on my HP palmtop youtube channel. Going from a CD to 8bit mono is 4x smaller, so I could
put a dozen or so of my favorite CDs on my 2GB compactflash card and play them on my 200LX!
When properly resampled and exported from Audacity, it sounds nearly as good as a 44.1Khz 16-bit file, you can hear the difference off course,

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 795 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxx1234 wrote on 2021-11-14, 06:12:

Actually, I have found one SBPlay: https://www.sac.sk/download/sound/sbply258.zip

radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-13, 20:52:
I've been searching for months and have not found ANY DOS wave player that runs on a 8086 and up. There is one called WAVEPLAY.E […]
Show full quote

Hi,

It's useless.

Cheers,
Radiance

I've already tried this one but it does'nt support a COVOX board, and i've searched for a DIGPAK driver for one but could not find one... 🙁
I only have a parallel port, no soundblaster board...
There seems to be a disney sound source DIGPAK driver around but it only supports abysmally low sample rates... 🙁

So, no dice...
Radiance

Reply 796 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Mod Master is not really meant for this.
Write a separated .WAV player only is better.

Here ?
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 801&menustate=0

I found this simple source code, "But" 286 only, and play a <64Kb file at a fixed frequency only.
http://tpdn.ru/files/149/9707/
(Change the PUSHA/POPA to have it 8086 compatible)

Reply 797 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-11-15, 15:00:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Mod Master is not really meant for this.
Write a separated .WAV player only is better.

Here ?
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 801&menustate=0

I found this simple source code, "But" 286 only, and play a <64Kb file at a fixed frequency only.
http://tpdn.ru/files/149/9707/
(Change the PUSHA/POPA to have it 8086 compatible)

That's the WAVEPLAY.EXE i wrote about, doesnt work...
I don't think there exists any software to play > 22Khz WAVE files with a COVOX on a PC,
or at least not on web anymore...

Oh well, it was worth asking for...

Cheers,
Terrence

Reply 798 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-15, 20:13:
That's the WAVEPLAY.EXE i wrote about, doesnt work... I don't think there exists any software to play > 22Khz WAVE files with a […]
Show full quote

I don't think there exists any software to play > 22Khz WAVE files with a COVOX on a PC,

Cheers,
Terrence

Hi,

it is simple to write, you can try to do it 😀

Reply 799 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-11-24, 10:25:
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-15, 20:13:
That's the WAVEPLAY.EXE i wrote about, doesnt work... I don't think there exists any software to play > 22Khz WAVE files with a […]
Show full quote

Cheers,
Terrence

Hi,

it is simple to write, you can try to do it 😀

Sorry but I simply don't have the time at the moment with my main project i'm working on...

Radiance