VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find conflicting references to this AC97 codec, some claiming to get it working in DOS with a TSR and some claiming it does not work. I thought VOGONS would be the place to ask so, here we go. Do DOS drivers for this actually exist?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is hooked to say VIA 686 southbridge you'll get DOS support through the VIA TSR etc. but if say some intel SB there's not gonna be any DOS support. AC97 part is only a standard interface for having DAC+ADC+Mixer in one chip and bus, outside of the controller, so what exact part the AC97 CODEC is doesn't actually matter and only the controller part does (which is the one in contact with PCI bus).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-11-03, 14:24:

If it is hooked to say VIA 686 southbridge you'll get DOS support through the VIA TSR etc. but if say some intel SB there's not gonna be any DOS support. AC97 part is only a standard interface for having DAC+ADC+Mixer in one chip and bus, outside of the controller, so what exact part the AC97 CODEC is doesn't actually matter and only the controller part does (which is the one in contact with PCI bus).

My motherboard has a VT8235 SB so I guess for me it is a no go. At least on the bright side that should be fairly compatible with a lot of PCI cards that have SB emualtion.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.