VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2021-11-05, 00:17:
eeJay wrote on 2021-11-04, 18:57:
OK guys, I bit the bullet and bought the drivers from helpdrivers.com. Will test now and report. […]
Show full quote

OK guys,
I bit the bullet and bought the drivers from helpdrivers.com.
Will test now and report.

Edit: Aaaand it's a dud.
If I try to force the installation of the "Device Enumerator" component via the "I have a disk" option, it keeps throwing up BSODs about VxD driver errors.
At this point, I really think that the only viable option would be to find an ISO image of the original CD.

That sucks. Can you see which driver version was included? Any files that are missing that you can tell? We should be able to compare using the corrupt file.

I mean, if it were uploaded somewhere, we could maybe analyze it... maybe all that's wrong is the INF file! Possibly a helpdrivers.com TOS violation, but I wouldn't really care about that if the file used to be free. Anyways, it was his 5 euros, so I'd get why eeJay might not want to.

eeJay, I know right now it feels like that 5 euros got wasted... but as vetz says, if we can get a better look at the file you downloaded, maybe we can figure out what happened for you?

Perhaps cyclone3d checking back with that guy on eBay in a couple weeks is now the better approach, still a real longshot tho

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2021-11-05, 00:56:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-04, 23:40:
Found a site that has the original NT drivers at least.. and it is the correct size. Unfortunately they don't have the 2004 9x d […]
Show full quote

Found a site that has the original NT drivers at least.. and it is the correct size. Unfortunately they don't have the 2004 9x driver set.

Site was drivers.eu
mx400_nt_40287.exe

My backup of ftp.dyu.edu.tw has the corrupted versions... bleh.

I attached the same file to my post 18 hours ago? Re: Diamond Monster Sound MX400 - request for original drivers/CD ISO
Whatever, it isn't a competition (... or is it? 😁 )

Oh... whoops. Didn't realize that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 43, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at the 2004 version installer that cyclone3d found on retronn.de, there should be two folders: Drivers and Install.
The driver provided by helpdrivers only contains the "Drivers" folder, but no "Install" folder and no installer.
It therefore seems that these drivers are not meant to be installed via Device Manager, but via a Setup program.
So, I don't think it makes sense to publish those helpdrivers files, because they're just another incomplete archive, adding to the confusion and wasting our time.
Just today, I received a reply from an eBay seller that I had contacted earlier (by the sounds of it, he is probably the same guy that cyclone3d also contacted), and he promised to make an ISO file in a few weeks when he comes back home.

For now, this seems like the best possible option.

If for some reason it doesn't go through, I'll publish those files somewhere so that we can hopefully make a functioning installer/driver out of them.

Reply 23 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eeJay wrote on 2021-11-05, 16:54:
So, I don't think it makes sense to publish those helpdrivers files, because they're just another incomplete archive, adding to […]
Show full quote

So, I don't think it makes sense to publish those helpdrivers files, because they're just another incomplete archive, adding to the confusion and wasting our time.
Just today, I received a reply from an eBay seller that I had contacted earlier (by the sounds of it, he is probably the same guy that cyclone3d also contacted), and he promised to make an ISO file in a few weeks when he comes back home.
For now, this seems like the best possible option.
If for some reason it doesn't go through, I'll publish those files somewhere so that we can hopefully make a functioning installer/driver out of them.

Alright, that all sounds fine!

Thanks for keeping us posted - this let me scratch my old "go-searching-for-things" itch, hope you don't mind! 😀

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 43, by retrohater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a google drive link of the driver installation CD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xBVVGNdwxJZ_ … iew?usp=sharing

This is a straight rip from the install CD shown in my eBay listing for the MX400+Install CDs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294491506556?hash=it … XQAAOSwtrxgymII

Reply 25 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrohater wrote on 2022-02-06, 23:35:
Here is a google drive link of the driver installation CD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xBVVGNdwxJZ_ … iew?usp=sharing […]
Show full quote

Here is a google drive link of the driver installation CD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xBVVGNdwxJZ_ … iew?usp=sharing

This is a straight rip from the install CD shown in my eBay listing for the MX400+Install CDs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294491506556?hash=it … XQAAOSwtrxgymII

Thanks! I just requested access to download it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EDIT : Crap, those look truncated/corrupted too .

Found these :

ftp> open ftp.dyu.edu.tw
Connected to ftp.dyu.edu.tw.
220 Welcome to DYU FTP ....
200 Always in UTF8 mode.
User (ftp.dyu.edu.tw:(none)): anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp> cd /pub/Hardware/stuff/multimedia/Diamond/MX400/
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 1660020 Feb 15 2000 mx400_9x_2004.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 2671 Feb 15 2000 mx400_9x_2004.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 470120 Feb 15 2000 mx400_nt_40287.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 2363 Feb 15 2000 mx400_nt_40287.txt
226 Directory send OK.

Reply 27 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original driver CD is now on vogonsdrivers. Thanks retrohater.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=48,38

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 43, by retrohater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cyclone3d, thank you for adding this package onto vogonsdrivers.

I feel the MX400 is a bit of an underappreciated sound card: does more than a Live!, and it supports A3d 1. I would be great if somebody would make a video review on it in youtube (philscomputerlab would be great). I would definitely send my card to phil for free.

Reply 29 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome.

I have an MX400 and could build a system around it provided it works. I was just never able to get the drivers / software before now.

Been wanting to do some sort of video reviews on Youtube anyway. If I did only a review a week with stuff I already have, I could do reviews for at least a few years.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the 2008 driver set and then discovered I already had it downloaded from who knows when.

Going to go ahead and put together a system to test it out and possibly do a video review.

Edit: forgot that the 2008 driver was already posted earlier. I think the 2008 was the last release from what I have been able to find.

Edit 2: Just for clarification, the 2004 driver set is just the web release of the drivers on the install CD, so no real need to search for that driver version.

Here are the release notes in the 2008 version:

• Revision History
    ----------------
    v1.00 CD
    - Initial release (Bulk only)
    - Contains Win9x VxD v4.07.00.2004.

v1.00 Win9x Web
    - Web release of Win9x VxD v4.07.00.2004 driver only.

v1.01 CD
    - Latin America Localizations
    - Front End layout changes
    - Contains Win9x VxD v4.07.00.2004.

v1.02 Win9x Web
    - Web release of Win9x VxD v4.12.01.2008 driver, AICT, and Update
    Wizard.
    - Incorporates new Sensaura code.
    - Program Group entries for driver, Audio InControl Tools and Update
    Wizard all include uninstall option.
    - Fixed: Front and Rear speaker outputs are no longer out-of-phase.
    Corrects low frequency loss on speaker systems that combine bass
    signals into a single sub woofer. (Klipsch ProMedia, etc.)
    - Fixed: "Enable S/PDIF" settings are retained after system reboot.
    - Fixed: Occasional blue screen error in "CRLDS3D.VXD" while playing
    Rogue Spear on some platforms for extended sessions.

Known Limitations
    -----------------
    1. If S/PDIF is enabled and the system goes into APM sleep mode, upon
    resume S/PDIF will be disabled. This issue will be addressed in a
    future release. As an interim workaround, open the Audio InControl
    Tools panel and close, and the S/PDIF setting will be refreshed.

2. Distorted or "watery" sound on some games (Need For Speed: Porsche
    Unleased, etc.). This issue is currently being investigated. Try
    disabling the "Enable DirectSound Acceleration" option in the Audio
    InControl Tools panel. The application in question should be closed
    prior to making this change.

-------------------------------------

I did find this response from S3 from somebody that contacted them so there may be some newer version than the 2008 version out there:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/beware-of-di … und-card.74910/

• Dear Valued Customer,

Given S3's recent announcement that it will be shutting down its Diamond Multimedia board businesses, S3 has halted development of newer graphics and audio cards, as well as development of next-generation drivers for the Monster Sound and Sonic Impact audio cards. One final driver release for those products is about to be posted and, while it will resolve some game compatibility issues, it will not add support for any features beyond those already implemented in the drivers that came with your product.

Following that final driver release, we will continue to provide you with technical support and honor the 3 year hardware warranty on your Monster Sound or Sonic Impact product. Should you need assistance with the installation or use of your sound card, please go to our web site at www.s3.com. From there you can access our FAQ files, a searchable knowledgebase, email forms to submit questions and contact info should you need to call us.

--------------------------------------------------
Scouring through things, it looks like that may have never happened as the response was posted on September 7, 2000.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000621012113/htt … Sound_MX400.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20020108130329/htt … ter_Sound_MX400
http://web.archive.org/web/20030111144118/htt … ter_Sound_MX400

Still looking though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the FAQ page for the Mx400:
http://web.archive.org/web/20000621000442/htt … Sound_MX400.htm

• (21721) What are the system requirements for the MX400?
    (21728) How do I install the MX400?
    (21734) How do I manually uninstall the Monster Sound MX400 from Windows 95/98?
    (21738) How do I uninstall the MX400 in Windows NT?
    (23078) How do I disable DOS support for the MX400?
    (22159) I plugged my MX400's SPDIF connector into my receiver and I can't hear anything. My other device works just fine when I plug it into my receiver.
    (21736) What is the extra connector on the back of the MX400 sound card?
    (22242) How do I uninstall the MX400 from Windows 2000?
    (22244) What features are supported on the MX400 in Windows 2000?
    (22245) I have an MX400. What bundled software works with NT 4 or Windows 2000?

(21721) - What are the system requirements for the MX400?
    The minimum system requirements for the MX400 are as follows:

Microsoft Windows 9x or Windows NT 4.0. Windows 2000 support is planned when available.
    Pentium 90 or higher
    8MB RAM (16MB recommended)
    16MB free hard drive space on OS hard drive
    One available PCI 2.1 compliant slot
    Powered speakers or headphones
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

(21728) - How do I install the MX400?
    To install your Audio Card, follow the instructions in the manual on placing the hardware in the computer. To install the software: (Sections for Win95/98, NT 4 and Windows 2000)

Windows 95/98
    =============

When Windows detects your card for the first time, hit CANCEL on the Hardware Wizard screen.

Allow Windows to boot the rest of the way.

Place your MX400 CD into the CD Rom drive, or, if installing off of web drivers, navigate to the directory you have installed the drivers into.

Locate the setup program, or the EXE program that you have downloaded from the web. (It will be named according to the driver version)

Choose to install the Audio Drivers if given a choice.

When requested to restart the machine, do so. When Windows detects the hardware this time, it will find the drivers that the setup program installed and proceed to install them.

If you would like to run Audio In Control Tools, run the setup utility again from the CD and select Audio In Control Tools. Note that if you want to configure the audio card or use the 3d sound, it is required that you install Audio In Control Tools.

Windows NT
    ==========

Place your MX400 CD into the CD Rom drive, or, if installing off of web drivers, navigate to the directory you have installed the drivers into.

Locate the setup program, or the EXE program that you have downloaded from the web. (It will be named according to the driver version) If you get an error about comctl32.dll, ignore it and continue with the install. This just means that you have a different version of this file than the one that our software looks for. It will still work.

Choose to install the Audio Drivers if given a choice.

When requested to restart the machine, do so. When Windows reboots, your sound card should be installed properly.

Windows 2000
    ============

When Windows 2000 (Win2k) detects the new hardware, it will install the built in Maestro drivers. At this point, your card is fully installed. If you would rather have Diamond Branded drivers, allow Win2k to install the reference drivers, then perform the following steps:

1) Go to Device Manager. (This is a little different than Win95/98. Right Click on My Computer, Click on properties, click on Hardware, then click on Device Manager)

2) Go to Sound Video And Game Controllers and open the properties for the Maestro sound card.

3) Click on the Drivers tab. Click on Update Drivers. Point the Navigator Browser to the following directory on your Monster Sound MX400 Install CD: x:\NT4\English\WDMDrivers (where x:\ is the letter of your CD Rom drive) and OK your selection.

Drivers should install. Reboot if asked.

The additional software included with the MX400 is for Windows 9x only. It will not install or run under NT or Win2k.

(21734) - How do I manually uninstall the Monster Sound MX400 from Windows 95/98?
    To uninstall the Monster Sound MX400 from your system, go to your go to your Device Manager (Right click on My Computer, select properties, then Device Manager). Open Sound, Video and Game Controllers and remove the Monster Sound MX400 Device Manager. All MX400 related devices should be removed. If you have access to the web, you can go to www.diamondmm.com, and download a batch file that will remove all required files and include a few further instructions. Otherwise, you can do the following:

To remove the files from your system, you will need to remove each of the following from the directories and startup files as noted:

Windows\System
    ==============
    A3d.dll
    Audio3d.dll
    Crl197x.vxd
    Crlds3d.vxd
    Crlp3d.exe
    Crlp3d.txt
    Es197x.drv
    Es197x.vxd
    Esenum.vxd
    Esmgr.vxd
    Mstr401.drv
    Mstr401.vxd
    Mstrsbp.vxd
    Mx400.cat
    Plat2meg.dll
    Plat2meg.img
    Plat4meg.dll
    Plat4meg.img

Root Drive
    ==========
    Mx400.com
    Mx400.sys

Config.Sys (To edit the Config.sys, go to START, then RUN, then SYSEDIT)
    ==========
    Any and all MX400 lines. They will be obvious. There could be multiple lines, depending on install

Autoexec.bat (Again, from SYSEDIT)
    ============
    Any and all MX400 lines.

DosStart.bat (To edit DOSSTART.BAT, go to START, then FIND FILES, make sure the Look in: field says (C:). Type DOSSTART in the named field and click Find Now. When DOS START pops up, RIGHT click on it and select EDIT.
    =========
    Any and all MX400 lines.

(21738) - How do I uninstall the MX400 in Windows NT?
    To uninstall the Monster Sound MX400 in Windows NT, you need to go to your Control Panel, then click on Multimedia, then click on Devices. Highlight the MX400 entry under Audio. Click on Properties, then click on Remove. This should remove the MX400 from your system.

(23078) - How do I disable DOS support for the MX400?
    The following instructions are for disabling DOS support in windows 95/98 for the MX400.

1. REM the following lines in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.

[Config.sys]
    DEVICE=C:\MX400.SYS /s:40001092

[Autoexec.bat]
    C:\MX400.COM

2. In Device Manager disable the Monster Sound MX400 Series DOS Games/FM Devices.

3. Reboot the system.

(22159) - I plugged my MX400's SPDIF connector into my receiver and I can't hear anything. My other device works just fine when I plug it into my receiver.
    If you are having trouble getting audio from your MX400's SPDIF jack on your reciever or SPDIF computer speakers, first, make sure everything is connected properly according to your speaker/receiver manual(s). Then, double check that you have SPDIF enabled in your MX400 drivers. You can do this from Audio In Control Tools, a seperate application that runs in the system tray. If you have done the above, download the latest drivers from www.diamondmm.com as your particular speakers/receiver may have been addressed in the latest drivers. If it still does not work, please send an email to customersupport@diamondmm.com or call technical support at 1.541.9657.2450 and report which speakers and receiver you have. We are looking into this issue with certain speakers and receivers.

(21736) - What is the extra connector on the back of the MX400 sound card?
    The extra feature is not used on the MX400 at this time.

(22242) - How do I uninstall the MX400 from Windows 2000?
    To uninstall the MX400 from Windows 2000 (Win2k), go to your Control Panel. (Start / Settings / Control Panel)

Click on Add/Remove Hardware (new feature in Win2k).

Highlight the MX400 card. (It may be listed as a Maestro sound card)

Remove it. This should remove all associated files.

(22244) - What features are supported on the MX400 in Windows 2000?
    At this time, the only features that are supported on the MX400 in Windows 2000 (Win2k) are:

Output 1
    Onboard MIDI (DLS Not supported)
    Microphone
    Line In
    Gameport

SPDIF and OUT2 are not supported at this time.

(22245) - I have an MX400. What bundled software works with NT 4 or Windows 2000?
    Currently, the only MX400 bundled software that works with any NT OS is the following:

Soft Karaoke (You may get an error about not finding a file during install. Continue with install)
    Liquid Audio
    Xing/ Audio Catalyst

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 32 of 43, by retrohater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have not confirmed this myself but I believe the person who originally started this topic was only able to get A3D working on Descent 3 by using the original 1.00 driver version.

I have had the best results using the 2008 driver (i815 chipset).

Reply 33 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know.

When searching for the MX400 drivers and ESS Canyon 3D drivers in general I kept running across drivers for the Canyon 3D 2 drivers.

I ended up finding a store that claims to have some for sale so I ordered 4 of them.

According to the specs, it supports DOS and will also have newer drivers than the regular Canyon 3D.

I haven't been able to find any real information about them other than the different models that were sold for one brand.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-03-07, 05:15:

ESS Canyon 3D / Canyon 3D 2

Interesting, there's no datasheets or even product briefs out there for the ESS Canyon3D ES1970 (or is it ES1970S or ES1970S-3D or ES1970MS or ES1970MS-3D...)
canyon3d.jpg

ESS Canyon3D 2 / Canyon3D 2LE, there are product briefs, however (still no datasheets):
https://web.archive.org/web/20071216140210/ht … D2%20052901.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20071216140421/ht … 1990_060801.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20071216140436/ht … 1992_061201.pdf

Stiletto

Reply 35 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure I found and downloaded a datasheet for the Canyon 3D 2.

I also found out that Hi-Val made a Canyon 3D card and the seller accepted my offer. It comes with the original install CD as well.

Edit:
Nope, just found the product briefs for the 1990 and 1992.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the seller that I ordered the Canyon 3D 2 cards from never processed my order. Going to have to figure out how to cancel my order since I am unable to get ahold of them.

On the bright side, one popped up on eBay and I bought it.

Edit:
Called them one last time and somebody actually picked up. Told me they have not been able to find the huge box of them that they have and that they will give me a call if they find them and that they would cancel my order for now.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I posted pics in the bought this retro hardware today thread.

I'll have to do some testing with it and I'll post the results and also upload the driver CD.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39 of 43, by retrohater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-03-26, 22:31:

I posted pics in the bought this retro hardware today thread.

I'll have to do some testing with it and I'll post the results and also upload the driver CD.

Canyon3D II... its mere existence surprises me! Looking forward to your testing/results.

Thanks!