Common searches

Compaq armada 1750

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 179, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah they just need a wall voltage cable the PSU is built in, it's what is somewhat commonly known as a "mickey mouse" plug, used by some LCD monitors and separate laptop PSUs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 81 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-11-06, 00:26:

I just picked up one of these (14” with s-video out) off eBay for $60 to add to my growing collection of Pentium laptops. Naturally, it’s missing it’s caddy and power ‘supply’ but I assume its only missing the cable 😉

Yeah the caddy was had for me to obtain in the end I bought it from retromyne or how it's spelled and it worked fine.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-06, 01:49:

Yah they just need a wall voltage cable the PSU is built in, it's what is somewhat commonly known as a "mickey mouse" plug, used by some LCD monitors and separate laptop PSUs.

Yeah. But I wonder if it is both a blessing and a curse to have a whole PSU inside the computer, with regard to magnetic field etc. In my case it is not the root cause of the noise of my soundcard though, as I had it running on battery.

Reply 82 of 179, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-06, 07:15:
Yeah the caddy was had for me to obtain in the end I bought it from retromyne or how it's spelled and it worked fine. […]
Show full quote
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-11-06, 00:26:

I just picked up one of these (14” with s-video out) off eBay for $60 to add to my growing collection of Pentium laptops. Naturally, it’s missing it’s caddy and power ‘supply’ but I assume its only missing the cable 😉

Yeah the caddy was had for me to obtain in the end I bought it from retromyne or how it's spelled and it worked fine.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-06, 01:49:

Yeah. But I wonder if it is both a blessing and a curse to have a whole PSU inside the computer, with regard to magnetic field etc. In my case it is not the root cause of the noise of my soundcard though, as I had it running on battery.

Electromyne / retromyne are great, they have a ton of stuff and shipping is fast. The only downside is it is expensive. That said, being in Hong Kong I’m so used to paying through the nose for vintage parts anyway.

My Armada 1750 should be here any day now - along with its caddy. Can’t wait to fire it up.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 83 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thinl it was maybe 10$ which is fine. But I need to get around to fixing the sound on it.. Maybe put on a few episodes of Adrian's digital basement and disassemble it once again...

Reply 84 of 179, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-06, 07:15:

Often a simple metallic shield is enough to dampen magnetic interference. I think the biggest disadvantage of the internal PSU is the heat generation in a poorly ventilated environment. Not because it "overheats the PSU" but because the heat from the PSU will be housed along with the processor and graphics card.

I have a Compaq 7800, and its Internal PSU heats up even when it is turned off, sometimes it turns on its fan even while it is turned off, to cool the PSU

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 85 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't actually think it's interference. Rather some failing component.. but I'm no expert. I tried running the computer outside it's shell with battery or without..also tried some makeshift shielding methods between the motherboard and the sound card.. maybe need to replace some caps?

Reply 86 of 179, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-18, 16:45:

I don't actually think it's interference. Rather some failing component.. but I'm no expert. I tried running the computer outside it's shell with battery or without..also tried some makeshift shielding methods between the motherboard and the sound card.. maybe need to replace some caps?

Look, it's just a guess, but the only thing that could "catch" a magnetic interference would be a coil. If a coil has lost its protective enamel, it may be picking up some noise, and changing its magnetic field, this could make a sound card make noises, it happens a lot with desktop motherboards with low build quality, it is possible to hear a noise that looks like a C64 loading a program.

Now, if the sound works perfectly on the batt, and plugged in doesn't work, then maybe you have a problem with the internal PSU. there is a sector that is responsible for "switching" the power of the PSU and the battery power, it is usually found on the motherboard and not on the PSU, it must be close to the main battery connector.

edit: what do you get if you use headphones?

Reply 88 of 179, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-18, 17:33:

It's the same noise from headphones and speakers. I can hear interference from mouse, HDD, you name it. It is. Both with battery and PSU.

Start by checking the soundcard's analog filtering system, see how the coils are

Reply 90 of 179, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-18, 20:25:

Hmm ok I know what a coil is but I can't say I know how to check them. Multimeter?

Well, first visually check the entire board for anomalies (broken components, toasted, cracked solders) then the ideal would be to unsolder the component and test it with a multimeter, outside the board, but often you can find something just by testing it on the own board

Reply 91 of 179, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-04, 13:53:

Finally I found a caddy. Hopefully it fits! Will see next week. 😀

Then my next adventure begins, finding an SSD and a converter that fits! 😁

I found a caddy but I actually also need the attached bay with the proprietary Compaq IDE connector. Where did you find yours?

Reply 92 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it from Electromyne with the caddy. Try searching for those part numbers I posted here. I think the caddy did not have its own part number but you need to search for the HDD no if I remember correctly.. it is quite confusing.

Reply 93 of 179, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, they don't have anything in stock, I even tried reaching out directly to them after going through their inventory. Not much on eBay that I can find but I only made it about a third of the way through the part numbers. Garrr. I may just look for a second 1750 with HDD and use it for spare parts.

Reply 94 of 179, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you ever find a HDD bay in the end? I have a 14.1" Armada 1750 with the ATI Rage but alas, no HDD bay either...

Reply 95 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is what I bought. (Link is no longer available.)

Screenshot_20211228-103144.jpg
Filename
File size
44.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My armada is complete and I use it for some fmv gaming but with a very noisy headphone jack. I might get a replacement motherboard or soundcard but I guess I should just buy a second armada. Maybe one without the caddy! 😉

Reply 96 of 179, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-28, 09:38:

My armada is complete and I use it for some fmv gaming but with a very noisy headphone jack. I might get a replacement motherboard or soundcard but I guess I should just buy a second armada. Maybe one without the caddy! 😉

have you ever tried washing the motherboard with vinegar?

Reply 97 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rikintosh wrote on 2021-12-28, 16:59:
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-28, 09:38:

have you ever tried washing the motherboard with vinegar?

Nope not tried vinegar.

I haven't attempted much repairs, I have received some tips from you guys tho. I'm just in this thread complaining about it.. sorry.. 😁

Reply 98 of 179, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a working 1750 with a busted screen (with HDD! ) chock full of spare parts for $7. Finally, a win 😀