VOGONS

First post, by electronicaura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone! My name is aura and I am new here. I recently got to know these forums and they helped me find drivers for a Sound blaster.
I wanted to ask you for help with a motherboard that I have for a retro pc. A friend ordered it for me, but it didn't have its drivers. Do you know where I can get them or if someone can supply them? Supposedly the model is a Bona BN810, although it also tells me that it is a Lex or JETWAY, I leave you a photo below, thank you very much and best regards!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Your board certainly looks like a rebadged Jetway 911AF - you can try some of the drivers listed under '810 Serial' here to get you started

https://web.archive.org/web/20010202072700/ht … r/index.htm#810

Reply 4 of 9, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your motherboard is from Lex Computech - in the early 2000s they relabled motherboards built by Jetway for BONA/Linden Computech. The "BN" indicates it's a BONA.

The latest BIOS is dated 2000/11/20, but maybe it's better to use the original Jetway BIOS. Let me know if you need a BIOS update, then I will upload it/them to my Lex and/or Jetway sub-pages (-> https://soggi.org/motherboards/lex.htm / https://soggi.org/motherboards/jetway.htm).

Drivers aren't motherboard manufacturer specific, just use the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer of a specific component .

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 5 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-27, 01:49:

it's a intel chipset so it just use INFINST drivers "which are not actually drivers they are a configuration" just like every other intel motherboard.

Yep. On top of that you'll need the AC'97 drivers for the audio codec (check that chip under the AMR slot for exact term to google on) and Intel i810 video drivers. Once again, whether these are included by default and if not where to look for them depends on the OS you want to run.

Reply 6 of 9, by electronicaura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all very much, you have helped me a lot, I am almost ready.
I have another question to see if you can help me (I am learning to handle windows 98 and more) I installed a sound blaster to the computer (sound blaster SB0220) Working correctly. In msdos I get to reproduce sound effects worse not music. I am doing something wrong?

Reply 7 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
electronicaura wrote on 2021-10-27, 11:26:

I have another question to see if you can help me (I am learning to handle windows 98 and more) I installed a sound blaster to the computer (sound blaster SB0220) Working correctly. In msdos I get to reproduce sound effects worse not music. I am doing something wrong?

You'll need to be a bit more specific here on which games and which settings you're using.

The SoundBlaster Live 5.1 (SB0220) is called "SoundBlaster", but it's not hardware compatible with the old ISA SoundBlaster cards, so it needs driver software to emulate the old stuff. At best it more or less sounds like the original, at worst part of it or none of it works.

What is important to know is that DOS sound works completely differently than Windows (or pretty much any other OS).In Windows, there's a sound abstraction layer in the APIs that programs talk to, and most audio is sampled digital audio. A game doesn't need to know anything about the sound hardware in a Windows system (at a high level). In DOS, software talks directly to hardware, and there are multiple ways of making sound. Almost every card supports more than one, and it's possible (in fact very likely) that a game uses different ones for music and fx.

That means two things:
1) your card needs to be configured correctly for each of the standards it supports.
2) your game needs to be correctly configured to use the card for each of its features/methods.

And yes, that makes it a lot more complicated than "install the .exe driver, reboot and it just works". You need to be aware of your hardware and of the resources used to configure it (base address, IRQ, DMA etc. - in some cases multiples. This card probably uses three base addresses (Sound Blaster, AdLib and MIDI), two DMAs (low and high Sound Blaster) and two IRQs (Sound Blaster and MIDI))

So, first thing you need to do is figure out what you need. If you say fx work but music doesn't it tells us:
- digital audio (Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 or Sound Blaster 16 standard) is configured correctly in DOS and in the game.
- music synthesis, either OPL (AdLib) or MIDI (Roland) is not configured correctly in either DOS or the game.
Now, not all cards support all of those, but the SB Live 5.1 supports Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster 16, OPL and General MIDI, so you should be able to get sound in all those standards. Sound quality on its OPL emulation is not good, but it will give sound if correctly configured. So the problem isn't hardware, it's software or configuration.

Also, there's a big difference between running DOS natively, or running a DOS window under Windows.

So, to help troubleshoot we need to know:
- are you running native DOS or Windows DOS mode?
- what resources is the card configured for (adress, DMA, IRQs etc)?
- what game are you having sound problems on?
- which sound settings did you select in the game? And which resources?

Reply 8 of 9, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the manual, i was curious.
http://download.jetway.com.tw/download/manual/911AF.rar

The integrated sound is crystal but the manual doesn't specify the codec, mine was cs4299 and soundblaster sound only worked in a dos box on windows with the WDM drivers. It's a PPGA mendocino board also supporting old slot 1 cpus. No AGP and no ISA slots. The onboard video was decent tough (i752).

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 9 of 9, by electronicaura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im gonna check it and try it! THX a lot!

dionb wrote on 2021-10-27, 13:58:
You'll need to be a bit more specific here on which games and which settings you're using. […]
Show full quote
electronicaura wrote on 2021-10-27, 11:26:

You'll need to be a bit more specific here on which games and which settings you're using.

The SoundBlaster Live 5.1 (SB0220) is called "SoundBlaster", but it's not hardware compatible with the old ISA SoundBlaster cards, so it needs driver software to emulate the old stuff. At best it more or less sounds like the original, at worst part of it or none of it works.

What is important to know is that DOS sound works completely differently than Windows (or pretty much any other OS).In Windows, there's a sound abstraction layer in the APIs that programs talk to, and most audio is sampled digital audio. A game doesn't need to know anything about the sound hardware in a Windows system (at a high level). In DOS, software talks directly to hardware, and there are multiple ways of making sound. Almost every card supports more than one, and it's possible (in fact very likely) that a game uses different ones for music and fx.

That means two things:
1) your card needs to be configured correctly for each of the standards it supports.
2) your game needs to be correctly configured to use the card for each of its features/methods.

And yes, that makes it a lot more complicated than "install the .exe driver, reboot and it just works". You need to be aware of your hardware and of the resources used to configure it (base address, IRQ, DMA etc. - in some cases multiples. This card probably uses three base addresses (Sound Blaster, AdLib and MIDI), two DMAs (low and high Sound Blaster) and two IRQs (Sound Blaster and MIDI))

So, first thing you need to do is figure out what you need. If you say fx work but music doesn't it tells us:
- digital audio (Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 or Sound Blaster 16 standard) is configured correctly in DOS and in the game.
- music synthesis, either OPL (AdLib) or MIDI (Roland) is not configured correctly in either DOS or the game.
Now, not all cards support all of those, but the SB Live 5.1 supports Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster 16, OPL and General MIDI, so you should be able to get sound in all those standards. Sound quality on its OPL emulation is not good, but it will give sound if correctly configured. So the problem isn't hardware, it's software or configuration.

Also, there's a big difference between running DOS natively, or running a DOS window under Windows.

So, to help troubleshoot we need to know:
- are you running native DOS or Windows DOS mode?
- what resources is the card configured for (adress, DMA, IRQs etc)?
- what game are you having sound problems on?
- which sound settings did you select in the game? And which resources?