VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There might be another setting in a chipset menu that has to so with the PCI/ISA slots and PnP.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 31, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any detection related issues are going to be caused by IC11 below, it is what creates the MPU401 interface where MIDI data is passed to the rest of the card. YSS205 is the effect processor chip. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong on the photos though all of these capacitors on the card are subject to leakage and will have to be replaced at some point. I don't notice signs of corrosion around any of the pins on the photos given.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 31, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-23, 04:57:

Any detection related issues are going to be caused by IC11 below, it is what creates the MPU401 interface where MIDI data is passed to the rest of the card. YSS205 is the effect processor chip. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong on the photos though all of these capacitors on the card are subject to leakage and will have to be replaced at some point. I don't notice signs of corrosion around any of the pins on the photos given.

When I cleaned the card, my cotton buds were kinda brown and stinky.

Capacitors are ordered, soon to be delivered, though I need a steady hand, preferably not mine.

Reply 24 of 31, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card also has a layer of flux on it that will stain the cottonbuds like so. I'm not sure what the smell was though, but capacitor leakage leaves somewhat green colored residue and smells like bad fish (very unique and distinct).

Replacing these capacitors will be a PITA, if you have no previous successful experiences you'll definitely need someone else to work on it. It is not difficult to rip the pads or otherwise make a mess there.

Reply 25 of 31, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-23, 10:38:

The card also has a layer of flux on it that will stain the cottonbuds like so. I'm not sure what the smell was though, but capacitor leakage leaves somewhat green colored residue and smells like bad fish (very unique and distinct).

Replacing these capacitors will be a PITA, if you have no previous successful experiences you'll definitely need someone else to work on it. It is not difficult to rip the pads or otherwise make a mess there.

I honestly don't know what to do. It's semi working, after all.

Reply 26 of 31, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In theory I could do the recapping etc. since I have repaired more than one of these cards and have the experience, but it might be expensive if you are not in europe...

Reply 27 of 31, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-23, 11:47:

In theory I could do the recapping etc. since I have repaired more than one of these cards and have the experience, but it might be expensive if you are not in europe...

How expensive? I'm not that far off from you, by the way.

If you can also do the extensive testing, thatd be fantastic.

Reply 28 of 31, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card lives again ! It turned out to be a bad RAM chip.

IMG_7578.jpg
Filename
IMG_7578.jpg
File size
310.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain