Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1380 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm gonna jinx myself by asking probably, I'm seeing an Asrock 450M pro4 and Ryzen 5 1600 AF on sale locally for $150 Canadian. Seems like it would be a nicely quick upgrade for me. The motherboard is quite appealing as it has PS/2 and a serial header. Seems like Asrock are good about updating for new CPU so could later take a Zen3 or possibly later if despite new socket AMD still have new cores on AM4. CPU seems like it's a slightly detuned, 200mhz slower R5 2600.

Am I getting decent bang per buck? I'm not seeing much else, maybe 4th gen i5 for around this money.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1381 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-22, 16:21:

Hmmm gonna jinx myself by asking probably, I'm seeing an Asrock 450M pro4 and Ryzen 5 1600 AF on sale locally for $150 Canadian. Seems like it would be a nicely quick upgrade for me. The motherboard is quite appealing as it has PS/2 and a serial header. Seems like Asrock are good about updating for new CPU so could later take a Zen3 or possibly later if despite new socket AMD still have new cores on AM4. CPU seems like it's a slightly detuned, 200mhz slower R5 2600.

Am I getting decent bang per buck? I'm not seeing much else, maybe 4th gen i5 for around this money.

It's quite good value for money as a mobo+cpu combo - but is that new or second hand? I am currently on a B450/2600 myself (1600AF is same silicone clocked lower and equally overclockable) and while ideally I would want to be on a 5600X that upgrade still makes no sense for now.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1382 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's used, but I think even at theoretical $160 USD retail value, if I found somewhere with both in stock, I'd be at $250CDN with exchange rate, shipping and taxes. I was looking around a little, because if it was easy to get same combo new for up to a third more, I'd have rather have had the warranty and the lack of a year's wear.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1383 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-22, 17:37:

It's used, but I think even at theoretical $160 USD retail value, if I found somewhere with both in stock, I'd be at $250CDN with exchange rate, shipping and taxes. I was looking around a little, because if it was easy to get same combo new for up to a third more, I'd have rather have had the warranty and the lack of a year's wear.

It's good value indeed but not stellar as it would be if new. The 1600AF used goes for about 90 bucks US it would seem, so you are kind of getting the board for free.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1384 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I picked up a bare 8 port KVMa for pocket change at a yard sale this morning, this model https://www.amazon.ca/Switcher-Supports-Wirel … s/dp/B07PQP4P2F

Very helpful product page actually as it's almost a quick start guide and tells me the PSU needed 12V 1A as it didn't have one (and didn't say on label or next to socket) Think I've probably got 4 sets of VGA and USB A-B cables around to get going. About 2/3 the size would have been nicer, ports stacked sideways or something, but beggars can't be choosers as they say. Seems to have cool features like shares 3 USB total, so can share drive or printer like that too. Might use an external DVD burner.

Reply 1385 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PS Vita 1001 with a couple of games (shopgoodwill.com), charger, PSP 2001 motherboard, power switch, and contact pads, along with a GreaseWeazel V4 with the 3D printed shell (eBay).

Screenshot_20211031-025919-777.png
Filename
File size
242.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
89374372111549clan.jpeg
Filename
89374372111549clan.jpeg
File size
50.11 KiB
Views
File license
233169221115411clan.jpeg
Filename
233169221115411clan.jpeg
File size
54.59 KiB
Views
File license

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1386 of 2072, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-31, 07:04:
PS Vita 1001 with a couple of games (shopgoodwill.com), charger, PSP 2001 motherboard, power switch, and contact pads, along wit […]
Show full quote

PS Vita 1001 with a couple of games (shopgoodwill.com), charger, PSP 2001 motherboard, power switch, and contact pads, along with a GreaseWeazel V4 with the 3D printed shell (eBay).

89374372111549clan.jpeg

233169221115411clan.jpeg

I bought the ps vita at launch, that console is such wasted potential.. I mean just look at Drake's fortune.. wow..

Reply 1387 of 2072, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Vita in 2013 for a daily 1h train commute (and back) and with the expectation it would get games like Bioshock, a (good) Call of Duty, maybe an Elder Scrolls game etc. Such a shame that it floundered. I still use it a couple of times a week, I'm playing through GTA Libery City Stories at the moment.

But we didn't get the AAA games so in the end I played through Uncharted about 3 times, Assassin's Creed twice, and Persona 4 about 1/4 of the way through about 10 times! Plus a whole load of PSP games and Playstation Plus games. I should probably give Soul Sacrifice a go one of these days...

Sadly I don't think we'll ever get another handheld. Phones are just all conquering in terms of the amount of money they make publishers. If the PSV was redesigned with the same CPU/GPU power today, with some of the gimmicky bullshit removed (like the rear touchpad [it was always useless!], cameras (will always be terrible compared to most phone cameras) and maybe the gyroscope, and launched with uSD card support instead of the dumb PS vita memory cards, it could probably be made (and priced) cheaply and games made quite cheaply compared to PS5 etc development costs...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1388 of 2072, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-31, 07:04:

[a bunch of PSP stuff] along with a GreaseWeazel V4 with the 3D printed shell (eBay).

I briefly got very excited thinking that, based on all the other stuff you bought, a Greaseweazle was some kind of non portable implementation of PSP hardware like a Pi or Playstation Classic or something. Sadly not 🙁

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1389 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pulled the trigger on a couple of 8GB sticks for the "old" newest lappy, Staples had them on clearance. Guess it's time for a full strip down, repaste and dust out, and put that SSD in there I've got sitting... prolly should do a fresh up to date win10 install... hmmm, changing RAM size and HDD to SSD at the same time, that gonna give me activation problems?

Reply 1390 of 2072, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I just discovered they are now selling DDR5 (five) RAM... 😅
Haven't paid much attention to the new stuff, so this came as a total surprise.

--> On that note, apparantly they also sell this little thing for only 150 euros now !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Predator-HX44 … 08CXYQXF1/?th=1
(not on amazon of course, but... someone purging their stock probably, before black friday etc)

Should I buy this, I wonder ?!
I mean, seriously strange price difference there (150 vs 550 euros, brand spanking new! in a reputable online store).
...4600 MHz DDR4 CL19 DIMM XMP 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) RGB

Reply 1392 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nobody got nuffink? Or y'all waiting for Cyber Monday...

I bought a SSD, EVO 860 256GB for my i5 laptop, 3rd attempt at upgrading it to SSD, the first one went in wife's netbook, the second one went in MILs notebook earlier this year, I did have a 120GB I mentioned as the one "waiting" a few posts back, but think it's gonna be a bit tight for what all I have on there. Then a couple of the cheapy firesticks to embrain dumb TVs.

Also grabbed a wall-wart cure at the Mall-wart, 6 outlet surge protected tap, with 2 outlets spaced out on the ends for more room. Was just under $6 at mine, seemed worth it, will see how it pans out.

Reply 1393 of 2072, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a new Seagate 2tb h/d recently. I guess I never owned a 7200rpm drive before, it seems very quick. I only opted for a new drive because I'm consolidating all my data, and the used 2tb I got in an HP sff box, for 10$, was making noise. Or so I thought. It turns out the external USB 3 box I bought a few weeks before that would rattle if you set the drive vertical in the included vertical stand. So being I was using the used drive to host a good chunk of what I'm working on, while sorting out 4 and 8tb external drives, I got scared and bought the Seagate. It was only 50$ to my door. It's eventual home is a skylake xeon workstation I put together. Which presently only has a 128gb ssd 🤣.

By the way I bought nothing on BF. It's been pathetic and dead for the last 2 years I guess. So disappointing.

Reply 1394 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got myself a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 noise canceling ear buds. My sister and her 3 children are living with me right now. And I'll leave it at that.

If any one cares, they get here on the 2nd and I'll let everyone know if they are worth it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1395 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2021-11-29, 00:17:

By the way I bought nothing on BF. It's been pathetic and dead for the last 2 years I guess. So disappointing.

Yeah it's been pretty lame the last 3 or 4 years really. I think Fry's used to really lead the charge.

Reply 1396 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered a Sony KHS-400E laser assembly for my PS2 SCPH-50001 since the original got the ribbon connector ripped off.

Gotta put a file on my flash drive, copy it to my HDD, and rewrite the EEPROM to accept the new laser assembly.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1399 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MIL has been whining about finding her a new machine since last year, the mid-year fix up wasn't good enough for her I guess.... anyhoo, turned up a i5 1035G1 in a HP 17 inch machine, last years model for $500 US equivalent, so grabbed that earlier this evening... Might end up slightly jealous, it makes assmarks 8 or 9 pages up from the bottom in the high end CPU list. So I guess I get to spend a while, updating, transferring accounts and installing browsers etc. I guess we're giving HP another chance after the PTSD caused by the DV6000s etc, didn't find much negging on it in reviews, one complaint about it not having a touchscreen, duh, buy a touchscreen machine if you wanna strain your eyes through fingerprint smear all day, it's a free country.