VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a fan for installation on my socket 370 mobo with a pentium 3 cpu, but silly me didn't realize it's just a fan and doesn't come with a heatsink. I need a heatsink. But how do I figure out which heatsink I need? I don't really know much about heatsinks.

This is the fan I got, which would go on top of the heatsink on top of the cpu: https://www.alternate.nl/Noctua/NF-A6x25-FLX- … product/1036854

Reply 1 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JustRob wrote on 2021-11-11, 16:54:

I got a fan for installation on my socket 370 mobo with a pentium 3 cpu, but silly me didn't realize it's just a fan and doesn't come with a heatsink. I need a heatsink. But how do I figure out which heatsink I need? I don't really know much about heatsinks.

This is the fan I got, which would go on top of the heatsink on top of the cpu: https://www.alternate.nl/Noctua/NF-A6x25-FLX- … product/1036854

The link goes to this product:

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX case fan

This is a case fan. These are designed to be installed onto the insides of a computer case.
If you want to cool your CPU, you will need to use a CPU cooler.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 16, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-11-13, 17:42:

For example, such a thing 😸

Attachments

Reply 3 of 16, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone seems to have attached a quad-copter on that motherboard. I assume it helps lift the weight of the heatsink?

There was a thread a few years back about s370 heatsinks: s370 Cooler Recommendations

You may be able to find a heatsink to which you can attach your case fan. Or use the case fan as a case fan. Multiple slower fans can keep things cooler and quieter than just one going flat out.

Reply 4 of 16, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a case fan. These are designed to be installed onto the insides of a computer case.

That's just the webstore's description, which is useless. They call all stand-alone fans 'case fans', even high static pressure fans meant for coolers or radiators. Nowhere on noctua's product page will you find anything about it being a 'case fan'. There's also no reason you can't use low static pressure fans on coolers (what's usually referred to as case fans) as long as they provide enough performance for your needs. Which with a pentium 3 you don't need much. This 6 cm noctua will absolutely provide more than enough performance to cool any P3.

As for which CPU cooler to get to go along with it. It depends on the motherboard. If there's enough room around the CPU socket, then most socket A/462 cooler will fit and accept a standard 6 cm fan such as this noctua. If there's capacitors or other obstructions close around the socket, that might prevent some bulkier sockat A/462 from fitting, then you might look for an older/smaller socket 370 cooler. In that case, just make sure it's at least 6 cm in size, then the fan will fit for sure.

Whichever cooler you do end up getting, be sure to replace its fan with this noctua one. It's arguably one of the best and quietest 6 cm fans you can get, probably even the very best when it comes to performance to noise ratio. It will almost certainly perform better than whatever fan comes with the cooler.

Reply 5 of 16, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought a 2 in 1 fan+heatsink off of eBay. It's Startech brand so I guess it's alright, and I'll just return the Noctua. It's impossibly difficult to find a loose heatsink for older machines, and I'm tired of having to search the whole internet for every other part I need.

Reply 6 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where are you located? If in the USA, it is extremely easy to find CPU coolers for older machines.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah.. no local stores will have that here either unless you are in an area that has a store that specializes in vintage hardware.

Sellers on eBay on the other hand have a ton of them available.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JustRob wrote on 2021-11-11, 16:54:

I have a larger version of that fan. It’s super quiet.

If that’s the size I think it is 60mm? Then it might fit some of those nice copper coolers on ebay, type in socket 370 cooler. Buy the cooler, if the fan doesn’t fit get the proper fan for it. Because after all, you buy the fan that fits the cooler and most coolers for 370 use a 60mm fan I believe

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 16, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustRob wrote on 2021-11-14, 02:54:

I just bought a 2 in 1 fan+heatsink off of eBay. It's Startech brand so I guess it's alright, and I'll just return the Noctua. It's impossibly difficult to find a loose heatsink for older machines, and I'm tired of having to search the whole internet for every other part I need.

I would keep the noctua fan and use in in place of the fan that comes with the cooler. I have several of these startech coolers for socket 7, 370 and socket 462, the fans they use can be quite noisy. The nocuta on the other hand will be virtually inaudible.

Reply 12 of 16, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only socket 370 cooler without a fan I can find on eBay is this one, https://www.ebay.nl/itm/313002084175?hash=ite … EMAAOSw7Sxcvunv, and it seems to be a passive cooler as I can't see any screwholes for a fan.

When it comes to eBay I'm also mostly restricted to listings within the EU, 'cuz with listings from the US I have to pay a ton in shipping and import fees.

Reply 13 of 16, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustRob wrote on 2021-11-14, 08:42:

The only socket 370 cooler without a fan I can find on eBay is this one, https://www.ebay.nl/itm/313002084175?hash=ite … EMAAOSw7Sxcvunv, and it seems to be a passive cooler as I can't see any screwholes for a fan.

When it comes to eBay I'm also mostly restricted to listings within the EU, 'cuz with listings from the US I have to pay a ton in shipping and import fees.

Idk if that will fit, the heatsink itself seems pretty small. But I can always try I guess. It's this one.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    17.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 14 of 16, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of those exact coolers, as well as the all-copper version of it. The heatsinks are 6 cm on each side, so they fit 6 cm fans precisely. On the copper one I replaced the fan with the exact same noctua fan you got and I use that combo to cool an overclocked K6-2+. Works much quieter than the fan that originally came with the cooler.

Only issue you might have with swapping the fans is that the screws that come with the cooler won't fit the taller noctua fan. You can try either longer screws that fit through both of the holes in each corner on the noctua or shorter screws that fit through only the bottom hole. I had some spare case screws lying around that fit the latter purpose for me, otherwise you can always find some correct length screws at whatever hardware store you have nearby.

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frudi wrote on 2021-11-13, 21:17:
That's just the webstore's description, which is useless. They call all stand-alone fans 'case fans', even high static pressure […]
Show full quote

That's just the webstore's description, which is useless. They call all stand-alone fans 'case fans', even high static pressure fans meant for coolers or radiators. Nowhere on noctua's product page will you find anything about it being a 'case fan'. There's also no reason you can't use low static pressure fans on coolers (what's usually referred to as case fans) as long as they provide enough performance for your needs. Which with a pentium 3 you don't need much. This 6 cm noctua will absolutely provide more than enough performance to cool any P3.

As for which CPU cooler to get to go along with it. It depends on the motherboard. If there's enough room around the CPU socket, then most socket A/462 cooler will fit and accept a standard 6 cm fan such as this noctua. If there's capacitors or other obstructions close around the socket, that might prevent some bulkier sockat A/462 from fitting, then you might look for an older/smaller socket 370 cooler. In that case, just make sure it's at least 6 cm in size, then the fan will fit for sure.

Whichever cooler you do end up getting, be sure to replace its fan with this noctua one. It's arguably one of the best and quietest 6 cm fans you can get, probably even the very best when it comes to performance to noise ratio. It will almost certainly perform better than whatever fan comes with the cooler.

Regardless of whether or not the fan is more suited for heatsinks or not, it'll be a futile endeavor if OP doesn't have any heatsink to attach his fan onto.
Finding a separate s370 (or sA) heatsink without a fan is going to be quite challenging. It could be even easier to just find an old or worn out second hand s370 HSF and replace the old fan with the Noctua one.

I agree with what you said about which CPU cooler to get. If choice is very limited, there won't be much of a choice anyway.

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JustRob wrote on 2021-11-14, 03:20:

Europe, Netherlands. Not quite as easy here. Local stores don't seem to be selling anything of this kind.

If you want to find a s370 HSF here in The Netherlands, you could try marktplaats or tweakers.net. Even an old and worn out HSF mounted on a broken motherboard could suit your needs.
And as already been mentioned, some of the older s370 boards have limited space around the CPU socket so not all CPU HSFs will fit (and too small ones will not provide sufficient cooling or may be more difficult to mount correctly depending on which chip you intend to use).

EDIT:Ebay might also be an option. Or just anywhere where you can be send the HSF you want.

Report spammers here!