VOGONS

First post, by forteller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
First of all, I would like to say that I wrote post almost 100-lines long describing my history with oldschool PCs, getting to point where I landed now only with this one PC, and then suddenly my browser have hung, so I'm angry now and I will only ask for what I would like to know missing the details. Pity of me, that I'm using alpha vesrion of Opera...

I have PC mentioned above, and it's very problematic.

First of all, it came to me equipped with only 8MB of 70ns FPM RAM. I had pair of two 8MB sticks with the same specs, so I plugged one of them in, but that's all. This mobo has only two slots for memory, so I can't use all three of them. On the other hand, although I have a pair of two 32MB 60ns EDO RAM, which would be just enough, I can't use them. When I plug one of the 8MB FPM stick to the first slot, and 32MB EDO to the second, system starts, recognizes 40MB of memory, but is very unstable. I can't boot neither to Win98, nor NT4.0. Any other combination including EDO modules (EDO+FPM, one EDO in any slot, two EDOs) doesn't boot at all beeping three times (if there is no modules inserted, it doesn't beep at all).

Is there anything I can do about it? I tried lowering bus from 33MHz to 25MHz - didn't changed anything. Also, why doesn't it work? Is it because of that, they are EDO, or because that they are 60ns (FPMs I have are 70ns and PC was designed to run that kind of memory).

Another problem I have is that in Windows 98 and DOS my PCI sound card (FM801) works without problem, but NT doesn't recognize it at all. I found in menu start program that lists all IRQs, and it isn't listed. When I plug RLT8139 network card, it installs and works like a charm.

I can't think of anything myself. Why this card isn't listed? In Windows 98 it works flawlessly, so there can't be any conflict in IRQs. Also, network card plugged into the same port works both in NT and 98.

Last, but not least: I have overclocked CPU successfully from 66 to 100MHz by changing it's multiplier from 2x to 3x. It's rock stable, but I can't go any further, as this is the maximum setting board allows via jumpers. It's based on 85c496 chip, and I had few years ago board that ran with 50MHz FSB based on it. I wonder if there is anything I can do to force it to run at 40, or 50MHz? I would say no, but I will ask for it anyway. I would try unlisted jumper settings, but there simply aren't any: board has only two jumpers - one to choose between DX2 and DX4, and one to choose between 25MHz and 33MHz bus, allowing to run DX2-50, DX2-66 and DX4-100 (and of course am5x86, which I owned and I've explained how I lost it before crash of the browser pointed above).

Well, that should be all of it. Help with any of my problems would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

PS. As I couldn't find any video about MP3 on DX4 on youtube, I posted one made by myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5s_Le7TV4

I hope you'll like it 😀

Last edited by forteller on 2011-11-22, 23:39. Edited 2 times in total.

2017: 7800X@4,6G / X299 / 32GB / GTX 1080 / SM961 256GB+2x256GB RAID0 / G710+ / G402 / U2713H
2003: P4 2,8C@3,4G / IS7 / 2GB / AIW9700Pro / 160GB+2x40GB RAID0 / SK-8000 / IMO 1.1A / G200
2000: K6-3+@600M / 591P / 384MB / Voodoo3+1 / GUS+AWE32 / 40GB

Reply 1 of 8, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there, welcome!
Ok, the RAM problem sounds like it's your motherboard's lack of support for EDO RAM. I had a SIS chipset similar to yours that had the exact same symptoms when using EDO ram in it in the same configurations (wasn't compatible with EDO).
As for the bus speed options limitation, as far as I can tell, that's because it's a proprietary motherboard. I have a Zenith that gives me the same problem, only it's dip switches instead of jumpers (the CPU's multiplier is how you reached 100MHz before, if I understand your post correctly).
As for the sound card, I don't have enough experience with NT to say anything, so I'll defer to the vast pool of more experienced users on this site for that.

I hope this helps you out.

Reply 2 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win NT does not support PnP, so it does not see the card automatically.
So not seeing the card means nothing, just install the driver.
You can find the driver for the Fortemedia FM801 in this Retro Archive f.e.:
http://tw54fzops76y6dfxh3iyotbccr5pmjr273dvnq … 01/nt406010.exe
(I2P is required)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 8, by forteller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer.
As I said before, some time ago I owned board based on this chip, and I've been using those memories on it (plus other 2x16MB EDO which gave 96MB in total). Ran for some time trouble-free. Also, from what I know EDO memories should be backward compatible with older motherboards. Anyway I think I'm going to give up, and assume that this is one of those things, where theory doesn't really meet with practice.

Motherboard is propretary indeed, but I was wondering if there is something that could be done. With newer chips, it is possible to overclock CPU with pinmodding, even on proprietary boards, as they are autoconfigured basing on signals from particular pins of CPU.

This motherboard is capable of running at 50MHz (at least in theory), so maybe there could be something I can do if I would find datasheets for chipset and clock generator. Of course, I'm thinking about 40MHz rather than 50MHz, because it is rather impossible for PCI devices to run at such high frequency.

@elianda - I tried installing a driver, and after installation I've got an error saying that FM801 hasn't been detected. Then it displays on devices list, but I cannot choose it for playback as it isn't listed there (what a surprise 😉 ).

Well, I didn't used the right words. RLT8139 haven't installed automatically of course, as I installed driver manually, and so I tried with FM801 in the first place which didn't worked. Then I tried to find a solution. I thought it was because it wasn't listed in IRQ list, but thanks to you I know that the problem has to be somewhere else.

Last edited by forteller on 2011-11-22, 23:34. Edited 2 times in total.

2017: 7800X@4,6G / X299 / 32GB / GTX 1080 / SM961 256GB+2x256GB RAID0 / G710+ / G402 / U2713H
2003: P4 2,8C@3,4G / IS7 / 2GB / AIW9700Pro / 160GB+2x40GB RAID0 / SK-8000 / IMO 1.1A / G200
2000: K6-3+@600M / 591P / 384MB / Voodoo3+1 / GUS+AWE32 / 40GB

Reply 4 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Win NT does not support PnP, so it does not see the card automatically.

You can install experimental ISA PnP support from the NT4 install CD.

CD:\DRVLIB\PNPISA\X86\PNPISA.INF

Right-click it and choose 'Install'.

I had to do this to get the CMI8330 working in NT4, otherwise it just kept saying there were "no drivers in this folder" or whatever.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ISA PnP probably won't help for PCI PnP.
The FM801 is probably not from ForteMedia and thus has a different PCI Vendor/Device ID.
But if these IDs are somewhere checked vs a plain text code, you could just replace the text with the IDs of your card. Maybe check the files from the extracted driver archive if a specific PCI ID appears somewhere.

Or identify the exact Vendor + Name of your card and find that driver.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 8, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

the terratec 512i (fm801) driver works in 98/XP with
both the 512i and a no-name card i have tested.
chances are it will also work for the card you have.

the nt driver is in the update dir at terratec although
Nt is something i have never used that card with.

ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Audio/512idigital/Update/

bye

edit: missing word...