VOGONS

Reply 100 of 122, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2016-07-17, 19:23:
Tried another P965 board with succsess, the Asus P5B. Also reserved IRQ5 in the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

Tried another P965 board with succsess, the Asus P5B. Also reserved IRQ5 in the BIOS.

First I installed the YMF744 in PCI slot 3. With 4GB of RAM SETUPDS refused to load complaning about too little free memory.
Then I reduced the RAM to 1GB and SETUPDS loaded, but DSDMA didn't load. Loading DSDMA manually caused a reboot.
I reduced the RAM further to 512MB but still I had to load DSDMA manually, but no reboot this time. Games didn't work off course.
So I moved the YMF744 to PCI slot 1. SETUPDS then caused a stack overflow on load.
I entred the BIOS and disabled all onboard devices except for the ICH SATA and USB controller and then both SETUPDS loaded without failure and DSDMA loaded automatically.
Now games were working. 😀

Edit: The YMF744 now also works in PCI slot 2 and 3.

Can't get this working so far. Do you load setupds first or DSDMA (or ignore those and just run loadtsr.bat).
I am trying to get a YMF724 working on a P965 motherboard which I thought was impossible before reading your post. It has only 1 PCI slot and i reserved IRQ5, turned off all unnecessary bios setting.

Reply 101 of 122, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After some more tinkering I have sound working. I had to use the same IRQ 5 for both pci AND sound blaster emulation, also changed the card to the 2nd of two PCI slots. After this I re-enabled most bios options, usb mouse/keyboard emulation, etc and everything still works. The other error was with setupds and the IRQ was set to 127. That happened with v3.14 and v3.16. It was fixed by by using setupds (v3.17 or 3.18).

Himemx (I limited memory to 511MB) and emm386 worked better with more games than jemmex/jemm386. The steps were run setupds /s then dsdma and then set blaster a220 i5 d1 h1 t4 p330.
With this all difficult games have worked so far. I've tested ones others can't get working like Larry VGA remake but it is working for me using soundblaster (it does have digital sounds compared to adlib). I am using a YMF 724 and don't know if the reported compatibilty issues with these games is down to YMF 724/744 differences.

Got to say I am impressed/amazed with these yamaha pci cards working on modern motherboards( with dma sound). The Dsmda tsr emulating Distributed DMA to enable it on newer motherboards, if this was more general and could work or be modified to emulated DDMA on other pci soundcards.

Reply 102 of 122, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riikcakirds wrote on 2021-01-05, 01:00:

The steps were run setupds /s then dsdma and then set blaster a220 i5 d1 h1 t4 p330.

I don't think you need H1 for this card.

YMF7x4 cards don't use High DMA and neither did Creative's Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (T4) which they emulate. By declaring it manually in the BLASTER variable you might actually confuse some games.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 103 of 122, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-05, 04:09:
Riikcakirds wrote on 2021-01-05, 01:00:

The steps were run setupds /s then dsdma and then set blaster a220 i5 d1 h1 t4 p330.

I don't think you need H1 for this card.

YMF7x4 cards don't use High DMA and neither did Creative's Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (T4) which they emulate. By declaring it manually in the BLASTER variable you might actually confuse some games.

I think i needed it for duke 3d to work, I'll recheck, or another game that demanded a high dma and wouldn't let me select it in setup. Interesting what you say about the blaster variable, I always wondered how games pre mid 1992 wouldn't have known about the SB16 'h 'or 't6' variables but I haven't run into anything that breaks it yet. Creative don't have a good track record but i'm hoping the new blaster environment variables from Sb16 were added in a way that didn't break any older game compatibility.

Reply 104 of 122, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riikcakirds wrote on 2021-01-06, 00:34:

I think i needed it for duke 3d to work

The sound setup menu in that game is a bit confusing, but as long as you select Sound Blaster Pro under sound card type, the High DMA value will be ignored. I just leave it at 5 (default value) and the game works fine with my YMF724.

As far as I know, Duke3D only has issues with certain Creative Vibra models which don't use High DMA but are otherwise treated as a SB16.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 106 of 122, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2021-01-06, 04:24:

Duke3d only works in pure dos on these cards. It doesn't work in windows at all. There is no patch.

This is true, unless you're using SB-Link.

It works just fine under Win9x in that case. No need to set anything in the Windows drivers either, they somehow automatically "know" when a YMF7x4 card is connected through SB-Link.

Reply 107 of 122, by retroproject

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2016-07-15, 15:14:
Today I tried out my YMF744 card on my Windows 98SE PCIe rig with the Intel P965 chipset and the first thing I wanted to try out […]
Show full quote

Today I tried out my YMF744 card on my Windows 98SE PCIe rig with the Intel P965 chipset and the first thing I wanted to try out was MS-DOS compatibility. I was suprised that it worked out very well and worked with most games a threw at it. Much better compatibility than my Vortex AU8820. Usually Intel chipsets newer than the 800 series is a big no with DOS gaming and digitized sound.

I reserved IRQ5 in the BIOS.

Remember to use the VGA output of your graphic card for best DOS compatibility, using DVI screwed up graphics in some games and made the mouse not work in others.

Setup:
Asus P5B-Deluxe
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.52GHz
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
512MB DDR2
MS-DOS 7.10

Games that worked:
Carmageddon
Death Rally
Descent
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Epic Pinball
Gods
Grand Theft Auto
One Must Fall
Pinball Fantasies
Screamer (Works in low res. mode using the DOS/32A extender.)
Sim City 2000
Slipstream 5000
Space Quest IV (CPU cache disabled for this one.)
Speed Haste
Transport Tycoon
Warcraft II
Wolfenstein 3D

Games that failed:
Jazz Jackrabbit ("Loader error (0025)", the game fails even when selecting no sound as long as DSDMA.EXE is loaded.)

Hi Kamerat. I have installed Windows98SE on ASUS P5B Premium. This board should be more or less the same as ASUS P5B Deluxe. I successfully managed to install AHCI for better compatibility,
USB2.0, but no chipset drivers. Lot of people are saying that chipset drivers are not needed, but under Device Manager I have annoying messages with ? and ! marks:

? Other Devices -> ?! PCI System Management Bus (The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver
-> Unknown Device (The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver)
System devices -> ! Motherboard resources (This device is causing a resource conflict. (Code 15). howewer UNDER RESOURCES Conflicting device list showing: No conflicts.

should I have concerns about PCI System Management Bus or simply disable it? Under BIOS i have almost everything Disabled except USB. I did not use legacy mode. ACPI is also Disabled. Or
not? There is only ACPI 2.0 Support and ACPI APIC support. All Disabled.

Another thing is that I have older BIOS. Maybe BIOS update will solve it?

My BIOS settings are now:
asus p5b premium bios settings:
------------------------------
AMIBIOS
Version : 1001
Build Date: 02/22/08

Processor: Intel C2D E4500 @ 2.20GHz

System Memory Available: 512MB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legacy Diskette A [Disabled]

IDE Configuration -> SATA Configuration [Enhanced] -> Configure SATA as [AHCI]
Hard Disk Write Protect [Disabled]
IDE Detect Time Out (Sec) [35]

under AHCI Settings -> AHCI Port0 [Hard Disk]
AHCI Port1 [ATAPI CD-ROM]
AHCI Port2-5 [Not Detected]

Advanced->Configure System Frequency/Voltage:
AI Tuning [Auto]
DRAM Frequency [Auto]

Advanced->POST Check LAN cable [Disabled]
Advanced-> USB Configuration-> Module Version - 2.24.0-12.4
USB Devices Enabled: None
USB Functions [Enabled]
ASAP Function [Disabled]
Legacy USB Support [Disabled]

Advanced-> TPM Configuration
TPM Enable/Disable Status [No State]
TPM Owner Status [No State]

CPU Ratio Setting [Auto]
C1E Support [Enabled]
CPU TM Function [Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
Intel (R) SpeedStep(tm) Tech. [Disabled]

Advanced Chipset Settings
North Bridge Configuration->Memory Remap Feature [Disabled]
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD [Enabled]
Static Read Control [Auto]

Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG/PCI]

PEG Port Configuration
PEG Force x1 [Disabled]
ASUS C.G.I. [Disable]

South Bridge Chipset Configuration
PCIEX16_2/PCIEX1_1 Force [Auto]

Advanced->Configure Win627EHF Super IO Chipset-> HD Audio Controller [Disabled]
Onboard 1394 Controller [Disabled]
Onboard PCIE GbE LAN_1 [Disabled]
Onboard PCI LAN_2 [Disabled]
JMicron SATA/PATA Controller [Disabled]
Serial Port1 Address [Disabled]

Advanced PCI/PnP Settings:
Plug And Play O/S [No]
PCI Latency Timer [64]
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA [No]
Palette Snooping [Disabled]
IRQ-3 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-4 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-5 assigned to [Reserved]
IRQ-7 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-9 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-10 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-11 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-14 assigned to [PCI Device]
IRQ-15 assigned to [PCI Device]

Power:
Suspend Mode [Auto]
Repost Videon on S3 Resume [Disabled]
ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]
ACPI APIC support [Disabled]
> APM Configuration:
Restore on AC Power Loss [Power Off]
Power On By RTC Alarm [Disabled]
Power On By External Modems [Disabled]
Power On By PCI Devices [Disabled]
Power On By PCIE Devices [Disabled]
Power On By PS/2 Keyboard [Disabled]
Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Disabled]
Power On By USB_34 Device [Disabled]

Boot:
1st Boot Device [HDD:SSDPR-CX400]
2nd Boot Device [CDROM:P1-hp DVD A]
3rd Boot Device [Disabled]

Quick Boot [Enabled]
Full Screen Logo [Disabled]
AddOn ROM Display Mode [Force BIOS]
Bootup Num-Lock [On]
PS/2 Mouse Support [Enabled]
Wait For F1 If Error [Enabled]
Hit DEL Message Display [Enabled]
Interrupt 19 Capture [Disabled]

Reply 108 of 122, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try these modded chip set drivers and report back. May require more that just point and click. Then report back.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070726211535/ht … et/intelinf.zip

You need to manually update that with ICH 8...Hope you are good with driver modding.

Attachments

• Filename
    Ich8.zip
    File size
    13.85 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 109 of 122, by retroproject

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-21, 13:17:

try these modded chip set drivers and report back. May require more that just point and click. Then report back.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070726211535/ht … et/intelinf.zip

You need to manually update that with ICH 8...Hope you are good with driver modding.

Thank you Warlord, that worked very well.
Now I have to figure out what is that Unknown Device and under System devices -> ! Motherboard resources (This device is causing a resource conflict. (Code 15). Hm...Maybe phantom
floppy drive. But I disabled almost everything in BIOS and there is a resource conflict. Also for some reason it stopped working shutdown button. Only restarts but I could live with that.

Reply 111 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retroproject wrote on 2021-02-21, 12:42:
... IDE Configuration -> SATA Configuration [Enhanced] -> Configure SATA as [AHCI] Hard Disk Write Protect [Disabled] IDE Detect […]
Show full quote

IDE Configuration -> SATA Configuration [Enhanced] -> Configure SATA as [AHCI]
Hard Disk Write Protect [Disabled]
IDE Detect Time Out (Sec) [35]

under AHCI Settings -> AHCI Port0 [Hard Disk]
AHCI Port1 [ATAPI CD-ROM]
AHCI Port2-5 [Not Detected]

There's a third party AHCI driver for Windows 98.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 112 of 122, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thread.
What a pity that the SETUPDS thingy seems to be hard-coded for IRQ 5.
I have tried some time with various settings in ds.ini, but no luck with convincing it to use another one on a Z400 (which has a X58 chipset, but no individual IRQ/DMA settings and no "legacy" settings either).
But the true showstopper is that one needs to use HIMEMX to reduce available memory, because otherwise DSDMA just reboots.

Aureal 8820 works like a charm. Both sound and music, the latter of questionable quality, though.

Could be possible somehow to configure an Aureal for sound, pass its output to the Yamahas' input, and then mix into that the OPL from the Yamaha (or vice versa)?

Reply 113 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-10-02, 04:51:

Interesting thread.
What a pity that the SETUPDS thingy seems to be hard-coded for IRQ 5.

I have tried some time with various settings in ds.ini, but no luck with convincing it to use another one on a Z400 (which has a X58 chipset, but no individual IRQ/DMA settings and no "legacy" settings either).

Doesn't matter which IRQ SETUPDS claims to use, you have to use the PCI IRQ of the card when configuring games and applications. Changing the PCI IRQ can be done with the YMFIRQ utility.

But the true showstopper is that one needs to use HIMEMX to reduce available memory, because otherwise DSDMA just reboots.

You can also try using BurnMem to reduce available memory.

Aureal 8820 works like a charm. Both sound and music, the latter of questionable quality, though.

Could be possible somehow to configure an Aureal for sound, pass its output to the Yamahas' input, and then mix into that the OPL from the Yamaha (or vice versa)?

If think you have to disable or change the AdLib address of your Vortex for this to work. Please make a separate thread if you need help doing this.

YouTube channel

Reply 114 of 122, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2021-10-05, 14:31:

Doesn't matter which IRQ SETUPDS claims to use

It does. One version works good with YMF744, another with YMF754. I have different laptops and did some tests.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 115 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2021-10-05, 16:04:

It does. One version works good with YMF744, another with YMF754. I have different laptops and did some tests.

For ISA IRQ or serialized IRQ it does matter, but that wouldn't work on an X58 board. SETUPDS might be able to change PCI IRQ on earlier chipsets?

YouTube channel

Reply 116 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am actually having issues setting up EMS on a Asus P5B mobo I dont know which setting is causing there to be system memory located at e000-efff memory location. If i try to use EMS page frame there it makes system unstable

but there is absolutely no space for a d000-dfff only a d800-d7ff could work but it dose not. so glitchy! i need EMS for impulse tracker and various programs like wolf3d and stuff.

why dose it do this?

the memory manager im using is JEMMEX and the OS is FreeDOS and MS-DOS 8.00
sound card is the YMF724F sound works just fine

update:
i disabled DOS=UMB on the config and it works now

Last edited by sparky4 on 2021-10-06, 19:52. Edited 1 time in total.

wwww

Reply 117 of 122, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2021-10-05, 16:04:
Kamerat wrote on 2021-10-05, 14:31:

Doesn't matter which IRQ SETUPDS claims to use

What version works with YMF754, I couldn't get 3.16 working (It did work on a YMF724).

Reply 118 of 122, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2021-10-06, 18:11:

What version works with YMF754, I couldn't get 3.16 working (It did work on a YMF724).

3.16 for YMF754 and 3.11 for YMF744

Read in the Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide: YMF754 is supported since 3.12

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 119 of 122, by his.lordship

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2016-07-15, 15:14:
Today I tried out my YMF744 card on my Windows 98SE PCIe rig with the Intel P965 chipset and the first thing I wanted to try out […]
Show full quote

Today I tried out my YMF744 card on my Windows 98SE PCIe rig with the Intel P965 chipset and the first thing I wanted to try out was MS-DOS compatibility. I was suprised that it worked out very well and worked with most games a threw at it. Much better compatibility than my Vortex AU8820. Usually Intel chipsets newer than the 800 series is a big no with DOS gaming and digitized sound.

I reserved IRQ5 in the BIOS.

Remember to use the VGA output of your graphic card for best DOS compatibility, using DVI screwed up graphics in some games and made the mouse not work in others.

Setup:
Asus P5B-Deluxe
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.52GHz
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
512MB DDR2
MS-DOS 7.10

Games that worked:
Carmageddon
Death Rally
Descent
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Epic Pinball
Gods
Grand Theft Auto
One Must Fall
Pinball Fantasies
Screamer (Works in low res. mode using the DOS/32A extender.)
Sim City 2000
Slipstream 5000
Space Quest IV (CPU cache disabled for this one.)
Speed Haste
Transport Tycoon
Warcraft II
Wolfenstein 3D

Games that failed:
Jazz Jackrabbit ("Loader error (0025)", the game fails even when selecting no sound as long as DSDMA.EXE is loaded.)

Hi,
Did you managed to install 965 chipset drivers? Iam currently messing with gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 but have no chipset drivers.
Thanks