VOGONS

DOS32AWE - DOS/4G compatible DOS Extender with Sound Blaster AWEUTIL MIDI synthesizer support for Protected mode,VIASB

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2021-11-15, 04:34:

Not to rain on the parade, but you do realise that even SF2 doesn't encode all of the information used by more sophisticated synthesisers. Then, the older SBK format is even simpler, not encoding even all of the information in that format. That is to say, don't expect a perfect one-to-one conversion of the fancier banks (or data extracted from other synths), as the format and player software simply won't support it. There is much more to the sound of a particular synthesiser than just the raw sample data, and as a few here have learned the hard way, conversion isn't always so simple.

Conversion is fine. Try the sound fonts in windows and tell us which instruments are badly converted on your opinion. You'd better be more specific with exact parameters instead of throwing such vague pseudo theoretical statements. I doubt you have the exact knowledge since the SF1 is a closed standard. The problem is with AWEUTIL loading large sound fonts (usually around the 28MB limit of the AWE RAM). No such fonts existed back then. Investigation is in progress...

Reply 182 of 286, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2021-11-14, 13:41:
jesolo wrote on 2021-11-14, 08:48:

There's a soundfont called "Scc1t2.sf2" that is apparently the closest in sounding like the Roland SC-55 (as it uses the SC-55 instrument samples).
Maybe this is worth a try? Only 4MB in size.

Here you are https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIVOxoex9aIa … iew?usp=sharing

@maxtherabbit , the link to masterpiece has been updated, please check if it loads now with AWEUTIL. It should not take more time than the widows drivers load it. The problem is as far as I caught it so far with the names of the sound collection. Not clear when it works and when it doesn't. It is not the length but appears more often with longer names and once renamed to something simple it disappears. As the name is irrelevant for now the problem is not considered critical.

Thank you for the conversion.
Tried out a couple of different scenarios with the converted file.

1. Booted into Windows 98SE and loaded the *.sbk file - no issues when I applied it under the AWE Control Panel.
    Played a couple of MIDI files (in Windows) and couldn't distinguish (off hand) between the converted file and the original *.sf2 version
  2. I then proceeded to boot straight into MS-DOS (not via the command prompt nor did I shutdown into MS-DOS mode via Windows 98SE) and loaded the *.sbk file (after renaming it to synthgm.sbk) using Aweutil - no issues
  3. I then tried out a real mode game (Day of the Tentacle) and selected General MIDI as my music device - no issues and works fine
  4. Finally, loaded up DOS with no expanded memory driver and launched Doom with General MIDI selected as my music device (not AWE32) - no issues after playing through the first level

My feedback is therefore quite positive.

EDIT: My test system is a Celeron 900 MHz with Windows 98SE as my main operating system with a boot menu configuration allowing me to boot directly into MS-DOS as well.

Reply 183 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-11-15, 00:30:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-14, 23:40:

No change. I'm not using any expanded memory manager. No error message, machine just locks up when running AWEUTIL

I've tested both Masterpiece and 8MBGM ENHANCED SBK soundfonts. For me it crashes with a divide error with AWEUTIL after some time passes and the computer locks up if I attempt to use the command prompt afterwards.

why is 8MGMENH.SBK 28MB?? isn't it meant to be 8MB??

Reply 184 of 286, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote on 2021-11-15, 17:41:
Thank you for the conversion. Tried out a couple of different scenarios with the converted file. […]
Show full quote
georgel wrote on 2021-11-14, 13:41:
jesolo wrote on 2021-11-14, 08:48:

There's a soundfont called "Scc1t2.sf2" that is apparently the closest in sounding like the Roland SC-55 (as it uses the SC-55 instrument samples).
Maybe this is worth a try? Only 4MB in size.

Here you are https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIVOxoex9aIa … iew?usp=sharing

@maxtherabbit , the link to masterpiece has been updated, please check if it loads now with AWEUTIL. It should not take more time than the widows drivers load it. The problem is as far as I caught it so far with the names of the sound collection. Not clear when it works and when it doesn't. It is not the length but appears more often with longer names and once renamed to something simple it disappears. As the name is irrelevant for now the problem is not considered critical.

Thank you for the conversion.
Tried out a couple of different scenarios with the converted file.

1. Booted into Windows 98SE and loaded the *.sbk file - no issues when I applied it under the AWE Control Panel.
    Played a couple of MIDI files (in Windows) and couldn't distinguish (off hand) between the converted file and the original *.sf2 version
  2. I then proceeded to boot straight into MS-DOS (not via the command prompt nor did I shutdown into MS-DOS mode via Windows 98SE) and loaded the *.sbk file (after renaming it to synthgm.sbk) using Aweutil - no issues
  3. I then tried out a real mode game (Day of the Tentacle) and selected General MIDI as my music device - no issues and works fine
  4. Finally, loaded up DOS with no expanded memory driver and launched Doom with General MIDI selected as my music device (not AWE32) - no issues after playing through the first level

My feedback is therefore quite positive.

EDIT: My test system is a Celeron 900 MHz with Windows 98SE as my main operating system with a boot menu configuration allowing me to boot directly into MS-DOS as well.

Nice to hear it's all good 😁 Now I should try it out - when I make some space in my room 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 185 of 286, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-15, 17:54:

This isn't the original 8MBGM.SF2 or 8MBGMSFX.SF2. It's a soundfont by holbred based upon Merlin's 8mbgm_plus13.SF2 which in turn is based on the original 8MBGM.SF2.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 186 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-14, 23:40:

No change. I'm not using any expanded memory manager. No error message, machine just locks up when running AWEUTIL

I've tested both Masterpiece and 8MBGM ENHANCED SBK soundfonts. For me it crashes with a divide error with AWEUTIL after some time passes and the computer locks up if I attempt to use the command prompt afterwards.

That's the first bank I found and downloaded by the names you provided. If you can provide a link to the bank you meant to be converted that would be perfect to avoid such situations...

Reply 187 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2021-11-15, 18:04:

That's the first bank I found and downloaded by the names you provided. If you can provide a link to the bank you meant to be converted that would be perfect to avoid such situations...

You didn't do anything wrong. The one the guy asked for was just not the one I was expecting

Reply 188 of 286, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-15, 21:50:
georgel wrote on 2021-11-15, 18:04:

You didn't do anything wrong. The one the guy asked for was just not the one I was expecting

Yeah, the name of the soundfont was quite misleading. 🤣

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 189 of 286, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well the 8mbgm.sf2 and teh 8mbgm2sfx.sf2 (which includes a sound effects map as well). they were originally designed for the ESI series of samplers, so a lot of the sf2 presets were built for that hardware in mind.

the 2mbgmgs.sf2 also contains an MT32 mapping as well as GS maps that the 4mb + 8mb gm sf2 banks dont have.

I have them all on my E-MU ESI32 vol#14 cdrom

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 190 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2021-11-16, 04:22:

well the 8mbgm.sf2 and teh 8mbgm2sfx.sf2 (which includes a sound effects map as well). they were originally designed for the ESI series of samplers, so a lot of the sf2 presets were built for that hardware in mind.

the 2mbgmgs.sf2 also contains an MT32 mapping as well as GS maps that the 4mb + 8mb gm sf2 banks dont have.

I have them all on my E-MU ESI32 vol#14 cdrom

Well, provide download links for them.

Reply 192 of 286, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stretch wrote on 2021-11-16, 12:02:

yes, thats the original source for the 8mbgm.sf2

The "2.5M Drums+SFX X" is actually a GM + GS + MT32 + Effects bank. I dont know why they didnt do that for the 8Mb bank, which would have been nice.

The "X" in all the titles just means its compatible with loading on the EMU Emulator IIIx hardware. (ESI series is descended from the IIIx hardware series, but its own thing.).

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 193 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2021-11-16, 13:10:
yes, thats the original source for the 8mbgm.sf2 […]
Show full quote

The "2.5M Drums+SFX X" is actually a GM + GS + MT32 + Effects bank. I dont know why they didnt do that for the 8Mb bank, which would have been nice.

The "X" in all the titles just means its compatible with loading on the EMU Emulator IIIx hardware. (ESI series is descended from the IIIx hardware series, but its own thing.).

A picture is not a source for the soundfonts. If you don't want to provide them then you are free to purchase the Awave Studio and convert them yourself.

Reply 194 of 286, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2021-11-16, 13:37:

A picture is not a source for the soundfonts. If you don't want to provide them then you are free to purchase the Awave Studio and convert them yourself.

You can find these soundfonts on the "EMU General MIDI SoundFont Collection" CD which is uploaded in VOGONS driver on the following link: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=14

Reply 195 of 286, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yes, thats the original source for the 8mbgm.sf2 […]
Show full quote

why so aggressive? I was stating where the original 8mbgm.sf2 came from and providing information, nothing more. YOU were the one who DEMANDED download links. I have them loaded on my ESI4000 + Ultra E4XT, I have no need to mutilate the presets and convert them to sbk to load on my awe32.

Reply 196 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2021-11-16, 14:04:

why so aggressive? I was stating where the original 8mbgm.sf2 came from and providing information, nothing more. YOU were the one who DEMANDED download links. I have them loaded on my ESI4000 + Ultra E4XT, I have no need to mutilate the presets and convert them to sbk to load on my awe32.

Then how is this "useful" information related to the topic here? Your initial message was very ambiguous. The same out of situation posts of yours people observed at vcfed...

Reply 197 of 286, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2021-11-16, 14:36:

Then how is this "useful" information related to the topic here? Your initial message was very ambiguous. The same out of situation posts of yours people observed at vcfed...

umm I have no idea what your talking about. I rarely ever post on vcfed (twice this year... and the last post was a step by step instruction to answer someone question).... so yeah no idea what your talking about, maybe you confused me with someone else.

Reply 198 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any idea why DOS32AWE would not work on a dual Pentium Pro system (with APIC)?

I have a pair of almost twin systems, same software, both 440FX Pentium Pro builds. It works great on the single processor machine but doesn't on the dual one.

Reply 199 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-17, 02:11:

Any idea why DOS32AWE would not work on a dual Pentium Pro system (with APIC)?

I have a pair of almost twin systems, same software, both 440FX Pentium Pro builds. It works great on the single processor machine but doesn't on the dual one.

What error do you get? If you move a CPU from one machine to another does it change the situation? Or at least if you remove the second CPU? Does the DOS32A exhibit the same problem as DOS32AWE?