Rank

I have two dos systems in my future,

Asus P3B-F, P3, 512MB, Radeon 9200, Awe64 Standard CT4380+SIMMCONN revival

PcChips M915i, 486DX 2-66, 16MB, ???, SB 16 non-PNP CT2910

I have three PCI graphics cards
Voodoo Banshee 16MB
S3 Trio64V+ 1MB?
ATI Rage II+DVD 4MB

In my mind I should put the Banshee in the P3 system and use PCI/AGP select to pick a card on boot for those 3DFX Games.

But for the 486 I'm torn between the S3 and Rage cards, the S3 is more period correct but I'm wondering witch will give me over all better compatibility for those DOS games. I'm leaning towards the RAGE II or should I use the banshee there because it won't benefit me over the Radeon 9200 in the P3?

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 has very extensive support with third party utilities. Rage doesn't, but usually has better image quality, because they were mostly manufactured for ATi with strict quality control.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-11-17, 14:33. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a fellow DOS fan, I say put the S3 in the 486DX2; it's compatibility cannot be beat. And put the Banshee in the P3 for late DOS games.

Check out this lovely compatibility matrix: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3D part of the Rage does nothing for you until there's a couple of hundred Mhz behind it. The 2D part is close to being a Mach64 though, but mainly any advantage is to windows resolutions not DOS. S3s are very DOS compatible. Personally I'd go with the S3Trio in a DX2... stretching for early 3D accelerated stuff, you really need a DX4 or better and a card that early undemanding 3D accelerated games supported like the Virge. IDK if it's worth stretching for the first voodoo games with the Banshee in a 486 because Voodoo1 games can be problematic to get working on later Voodoo, then the number that do anything but slideshow on dx2 will be pretty low too, so unless the stars align and there's "that one game" that happens to fall in the Venn diagram cross of "not totally sucking on a 486" and "works on later voodoos" then the Banshee will be better off in a system that gives it more range.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't wait to get this baby on Friday!
Gainward Dragon 4000

Green PCI 16MB Voodoo Banshee

Attachments

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even though I have a Slot 1 600Mhz with V2 SLI and Slot 1Ghz with a V3 2000 found myself playing NFS4 on the Slot A 650Mhz PC with a Banshee. Game play was fine. Poor old Banshee doesn't get the respect it deserves.
Sure it has its limits but they don't deserve the outright dismissal they seem to get from most

Reply 6 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw a benchie once where the banshee just edged out a Voodoo 3.. they are kinda "all over the place" though, benching near V2 or near V3 depending. All in all though a pretty solid choice for those middle mhz machines between MMX and the magic 1G

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.