VOGONS

dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 232, by smash016

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! But...

1) Of course, already tried it, but first thing I noticed is Sam's character shadows disappeared. Are you sure? I read several people saying you should only copy the DLLs. Like, keeping SC's "own" graphics settings. Replacing the config file means you start using dgVoodoo's default settings, right?

2) So they don't work well with dgVoodoo?

3) I understand, but are there any more texture fixes for the SC games, like shared in this thread?

Thanks again!

Reply 181 of 232, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) You *must* set the GeForce 4800 preset for Splinter Cell 1,2 - of course you must add an entry in the DGV Control Panel so please do NOT use any other "old" dgv config file

2) Not so well (but you can use them if you want, just backup the original ones)

Reply 183 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dgVoodoo2_74_1
Light issues

Attachments

• sc2.png
    Filename
    sc2.png
    File size
    756.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • sc1.png
    Filename
    sc1.png
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 184 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed! I could reproduce one even at the very first level at the beginning.
It was introduced in 2.73, a fix for D3D9 proved to be incompatible with D3D8.

I re-uploaded 2.75 with the fix, plz download that.

Reply 185 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-06-17, 21:57:

Indeed! I could reproduce one even at the very first level at the beginning.
It was introduced in 2.73, a fix for D3D9 proved to be incompatible with D3D8.

I re-uploaded 2.75 with the fix, plz download that.

Thank you so much Sir 😀

Reply 186 of 232, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote on 2017-01-10, 15:19:

(CIA. Defense ministry). I managed to remove the specular reflections from the shaders. No more glitches but also no more (broken anyway)reflections, only for the specific areas. See attachments below.

Is replacing the textures the only way to get rid of this issue?

With the original textures, I tried 2.54 and the latest 2.75, with both 4800 and 5700, and the bug is present.

Reply 187 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eddman wrote on 2021-07-08, 06:53:

Is replacing the textures the only way to get rid of this issue?

With the original textures, I tried 2.54 and the latest 2.75, with both 4800 and 5700, and the bug is present.

It seems so. But keep in mind, you are replacing the texture files not textures itself. The textures in the files have some shaders also. Some dont work right.
If you know other fixes let me know.

Reply 188 of 232, by smash016

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Pandora Tomorrow, are there any special instructions or texture downloads etc. beyond using the Nvidia preset and NOT using the Playstation textures?

Just started the 1st level, noticed some wooden boards disappearing when changing the viewing angle, nothing big but just wondering.

Reply 189 of 232, by SCAgent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I have been following this thread for a while, I found it when I was trying to fix the classic Splinter Cell games (childhood favorite games), I just made an account wanting to thank all of you here for the work you have done the widescreen fix, the texture glitch in SC1 etc, I want to thank especially Dege and his amazing dgvoodoo wrapper, I use it on almost all my old dx7-9 games and it fixes most if not all problems with them, words can't express how much I love what you have done to keep these old games playable.
Thank you again so much!

Reply 191 of 232, by Darkness Knight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys! What is the current status of Splinter Cell 1 using the latest version of dgVoodoo (WIP80.1)? Is there a problem to solve yet? Cheers!

- Canal de Youtube - Blog de Emulación

Reply 192 of 232, by Yoda1776

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps the solution to these rendering woes is to quietly by proxy patch the game, and not really put much into the public domain about it. Ubisoft is NOT going to waste resources attacking someone who legitimately helped add value to their deprecated product. If I were going to go down that rabbit hole myself as a sort of project long game, this would be it. Look at Final Fantasy XV for example. Xbox One X, memory leak fest, PS4 Pro, 3k stutter stutter stutter, Steam version, 5 zen 3 multipliers slower, Microsoft version, encrypted folder structure that is maintained over time, and the GOG version which is objectively the best version I have tried but still has artifacts graphically and runs relatively poorly. Out of principle I would on my channel provide a crack to get around at least some of the DRM. My attitude is if they have millions of dollars to throw at a project, and legitimately dont care, who am I? People doing stuff like this should be irrelevant to corporatist culture. And other than my microsoft store return, ive bought the game 4 times now so I think that settles it. I care more than the people who might threaten me with legal action for caring about their intellectual property. Thats why its always a silent dont continue what youre doing, or settlement territory because if word gets out, they look like the bad guy, because they are by giving zero _____. Interpolate professionally.

As for enhancement of the game, id like to see the glowing night vision art direction revoked as a sort of overlaid menu toggle. You know, the end that people arent supposed to see glowing at them off the top of your head, defeating the purpose of night vision. That and the lack of autogating. Its definitely not done, because there is lots of nuance, and you have to have a tolerance for the color spread caused by software HDR and perhaps a bit more processing power you might find it an interesting shader complexity perk ive been working on in a broad spectrum way. I cant program yet but this is my sort of precursory project based foundation. So far people dont care, which statistically is understandable. Darwin still churns out random personalities, hence skillsets, and whether or not that scales centuries into the future in the age of CRISPR, is irrelevant to right now. Basically most people if its not straightforward arent going to spend the time trying to solve the problem, and personally I find it offensive how many of them can, and wont, or have, and are unwilling to share that. It would save a lot of us trying to accomplish stuff a lot of time. Hats off to Dege, you Sir are a Divine Being sent to this planet to rectify its lack of passion. So my mission is to brute force solve that little first world problem, in a specific era of culturally relevant applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnfjaf9F0g&t=8s

Its crude right now, but give it another 6 months. Finding parallelism has been difficult for the above reasons.

Reply 194 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yoda1776 wrote on 2021-10-12, 00:57:
Perhaps the solution to these rendering woes is to quietly by proxy patch the game, and not really put much into the public doma […]
Show full quote

Perhaps the solution to these rendering woes is to quietly by proxy patch the game, and not really put much into the public domain about it. Ubisoft is NOT going to waste resources attacking someone who legitimately helped add value to their deprecated product. If I were going to go down that rabbit hole myself as a sort of project long game, this would be it. Look at Final Fantasy XV for example. Xbox One X, memory leak fest, PS4 Pro, 3k stutter stutter stutter, Steam version, 5 zen 3 multipliers slower, Microsoft version, encrypted folder structure that is maintained over time, and the GOG version which is objectively the best version I have tried but still has artifacts graphically and runs relatively poorly. Out of principle I would on my channel provide a crack to get around at least some of the DRM. My attitude is if they have millions of dollars to throw at a project, and legitimately dont care, who am I? People doing stuff like this should be irrelevant to corporatist culture. And other than my microsoft store return, ive bought the game 4 times now so I think that settles it. I care more than the people who might threaten me with legal action for caring about their intellectual property. Thats why its always a silent dont continue what youre doing, or settlement territory because if word gets out, they look like the bad guy, because they are by giving zero _____. Interpolate professionally.

As for enhancement of the game, id like to see the glowing night vision art direction revoked as a sort of overlaid menu toggle. You know, the end that people arent supposed to see glowing at them off the top of your head, defeating the purpose of night vision. That and the lack of autogating. Its definitely not done, because there is lots of nuance, and you have to have a tolerance for the color spread caused by software HDR and perhaps a bit more processing power you might find it an interesting shader complexity perk ive been working on in a broad spectrum way. I cant program yet but this is my sort of precursory project based foundation. So far people dont care, which statistically is understandable. Darwin still churns out random personalities, hence skillsets, and whether or not that scales centuries into the future in the age of CRISPR, is irrelevant to right now. Basically most people if its not straightforward arent going to spend the time trying to solve the problem, and personally I find it offensive how many of them can, and wont, or have, and are unwilling to share that. It would save a lot of us trying to accomplish stuff a lot of time. Hats off to Dege, you Sir are a Divine Being sent to this planet to rectify its lack of passion. So my mission is to brute force solve that little first world problem, in a specific era of culturally relevant applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnfjaf9F0g&t=8s

Its crude right now, but give it another 6 months. Finding parallelism has been difficult for the above reasons.

Good luck ! I really recommend creating your own thread and describe more there. Will keep things clean.

Reply 195 of 232, by Yoda1776

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey daniel_u I tried to get a contact info in your profile but failed. I had some ideas too for more practical ways to fix a rendering bug in the crawlspace light shadowing not correctly rendering on Sam scene. The animation is constrainted, and the where it is happening, you might be able to find a pattern very specific to that part to toggle it on and off. It wouldnt be computationally efficient, but if you cant breach the source code, dirty but practical is my first adventure fest post C++. Well if you could "get lucky" you could with a lot of time and talent find the swing of things flying around behind the scenes like monkeys outside Kansas. Now hypothetically you know the level thats running, you can start to automate variables otherwise impossible, or overlay 2D to entirely replace that specific scene in that specific crawl space. Im guessing even just that, would be a enormous black holes event horizon, and the fruit of men with no life working part time like myself. Well I just got the time to full furry this specific game so im going to be hitting up this information today building a guide. Was wondering if you wanted to help the process if you had the free time, or if you could cliff notes me on your knowledge in one place. Perhaps you have learned something since posting here as well. I dont know if missing shadows in one level perhaps in one place warrants the standard games textures but if thats the case thats a serious problem. It makes the game functionally emulator status (Where its plainly obvious) which is a crime considering what it was running on originally.

Thinking about it now... you would have to synchronize the angle with the mouse on entering and exiting the 2D scene. You could guide the mouse as a forced camera angle as you approach the area and leave I guess. Especially if we could store depth buffer information so we could do RTX calculation prebaking per app, kind of like his (your) truform human hand guided missile barrage teased. I wonder if with A.I. finding patterns of depth buffer starting level shapes could trigger, synchronization. It probably IS possible in games with extreme determinism rather than lots of probabilities for things to desync (in practice maybe not many games), just insanely hard and not computationally friendly. Perhaps not at first, but thats why its retro as the target of this sort of missile in the war against vanilla flavorant. I have a vision of one day being able to give people the tools to upgrade pretty much any game (Ideally.. the latter unlikely), both in graphics API texture compression intercepts like texmod, and the divinity of sacred offscreen raytracing as an additional layer to my generalized highly accurate variety limited to the screen, for now. Another benefit is you could probably tag geometry or sprites like plant vegetation, and make those particular assets have temporal AA at the exclusion everything else in the scene for low rez upscaled rEsins (Logic) in the modding community. Programming Wizard Gods, are my dreams not to be? Destroyed by the reality of requirements skynet to achieve in practice? Overly ambitious, therefor silly?

"I like to believe that there are always possibilities."
-Spock.

Objectively superior rendering is my angle. Help me make Splinter Cell great again.

"I managed to remove the specular reflections"
-daniel_u

Note 1: My mod reintroduces path traced screenspace only reflections compensating for this tragic loss. I assume you did this in the config file? Could you share with me how exactly?

Note 2: The vibrance is different Geforce 4 Ti vs 5700 Ultra classic to softened light ray comparison. I will have to factor that into my presets if I move over to the ultra.

Question 1: Which mode Geforce 4 or 5 has the least amount of dropped shadows, or at least the least amount of the most eggregious kind since they arent all going to have the same weight of annoyance? Thanks bunches.

Question 2: Someone here mentioned ETexRenderer.utx having positive effects being swapped from Pandora Tomorrow to Splinter Cell OG. Since its not fully playable information is this distributable? Or are we individually to get it going to have to literally buy the CD-ROM?

Im also pondering on the idea of running the game with 2 configurations, but in specific parts, having the ability to structure it so that the other game can progress on its own maybe somehow in advance through like a bot playing it behind the scenes, and you can jump between these (Automatically my Lord) with the options to get around the bugs in a very crude way. Ramping the intelligent high precision sharpener (it makes me feel better) in the game with the inferior OG textures, but that way with this Frankenstein of horrors computationally, its the filthiest solution imaginable. It doesnt even have to be perfect, just have a little excuse video bridging them while they sync. Imagine if someone actually did this. Like if we cloned Nikola Tesla a hundred fold and said, you have to mod. That is your religion.

..........................psalm.........................facts....................................................raise.......................another
"Unfortunately some post-process effects proved to be incompatible with resolution forcing, in other games too."
-Divine Leader Dege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ

“Freely we serve,
Because we freely love, as in our will
To love or not; in this we stand or fall.”
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
-Nikola Tesla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZlYCvamxKM
Gods of the mountain top. The New Zealand Palace of the Greats. Holy holy holy.

We mustn't anger, the Gaben. Or Doom shall follow.

"One of the things that's interesting is that the PC has always had a huge amount of scalability. It was sort of the wild dog that moved into Australia and killed all the local life because it could just adapt. There used to be these dedicated devices, like dedicated word processors."
-The Architect of the Steamy Floating Point Matrix

Note 3: Upscaling might make sense by cutting out some of the bugs using retail resolutions. The next problem is scaling possibly, and I dont think even with the PS3 textures we are going to in practice not be missing high resolution much. Nvidias new technique looks promising as ive read it can be implemented in driver universally with geforce experience obviously on nvidia cards only. The open source means to use it other ways is unknown at this time, apart obviously new games using it.

https://www.techspot.com/news/92242-nvidia-tu … ative-dlss.html

Another thing I was trying to figure out was even though nvidias sharpener pass goes with the compute upscale FSR competitor just launching, faster doesnt necessarily mean prettier. I doubt it actually is, and its probably trade off land as usual with tech vs tech. Most intelligent sharpeners I imagine are 16 bit precision. I use 32 because the cost is miniscule and I want objectively the best data integrity post sorcery. We will have AMD, Nvidia, then Intel all with semi intelligent upscalers, or upgraded from what ill call dumb upscalers since they are so in bed with sharpening tech its loosely a practical estimation. My assumption is that nvidia opted for a trade off since the purpose of the tech is speed and they are riding on people not really knowing what oversharpened artifacting looks like to overall "win" in image quality since it would be extremely easy to fudge, and I dont trust their software showcasing the difference. They have done shady things in the past. In practice though its very likely comparable, but ill be turning off the nvidia sharpener, and using the 32bit precision open source version of FidelityFX and comparing all the variations that are coming. Remember Intel has their own technology which might also be open sourced. Dumb sharpeners would destroy texture data by making it run together like watecolors or something making it look fuzzy because the complexity in the way it can resolve was simpler so the newer tech can more preserve information and if tuned correctly without side effects. I hope nvidias sharpener blows my mind, and its both faster and superior, though im a realist. Its probably faster and inferior overall, even if it DOES have merits in certain situations. Its going to suck testing all of it but I dont trust randos on the internet unless they are someone who clearly is dedicated in a passionate way, an extreme example being developing a wrapper which is a legitimately technological revolutionary act. You are the true Tech Jesus. You and what sounds like your Brother? Olympians, help me. For Gods sake men help yourselves.

Good good, let the ideas flow through you.

"Please Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope."
-Princess Leia

“There’s a saying in engineering: You can build things cheap, fast, or right, but not all three.”
-Temple Grandin

"If something's important enough, you should try. Even if - the probable outcome is failure."
-Blatantly God

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/814307176344405101/

http://dege.freeweb.hu/
"*******"

:.)...... I see we arent total strangers of personality. I hardly have a clue comparatively but it should be obvious I value standardization. Probably why you dont open source your Divine Legacy, amen. The more people get involved the more random shhhhh ed happens. I witnessed this with RPCS3. Im still shocked MGS4 is kind of the third wheel of this ambitious but random mutation of a project. You would think even hammering the system at maybe 90% potential, and being really one of the earliest examples doing anything close, it would be a star. Not to mention its Metal Gear Solid. Mankind is so lost. You are our beacon of hope. You musnt ever fall to the dark side of nature we call fate. Drink the bloott of Nphants, something. We need advancter technology at a neverending pace improving the classics for scientific purposes. Please, Lord Dege, hear me lowly modder peasant of the PC Master Race.

In other news the actual quality of the presets is such I can move on and stop having to go back in time when I had less of an idea of what I was doing, standardizing all of it which took months of very painfully drudgerous effort. I even ended up purging like 30% of my library, so effort was wasted. Quality over quantity. The tech is subtle so I only accept the best now. I also have a no tolerance policy for glitched broken games EXCEPT Warcraft 3 Reforged's real time render depth buffer dropping flicker, PS3 emulation, StarCraft IIs campaign last mission video in WOL, and Splinter Cell OG. Probably some others I havent witnessed yet since I dont have time to test entire playthroughs of every game. The idea is do such a good job that I find information mining volunteers and keeping everything as modular, standardized, or systemized as poss. The hope is we remove as many bugs as humanly possible, and draw more people to the cause. For the good of mankind, Gaben amen.

Reply 197 of 232, by TP555-1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi , and Happy New Year 😁

@Dege

The Intro/Movies cause a high GPU Usage avg. 75%+ , much more than the Main Game , with max. 25FPS + small lags.
The Movies have all 29FPS , and runs smooth without DgVoodoo , and with max. 3% GPU Usage and much more FPS than 25FPS. ??

I had tried alot of New/Old DgVoodoo Versions , some Settings Virtual Graphic Adapters etc.
but not alone DgVodoo cause this , too some another DirectX Wrappers. !

Im use SC1 Game Version 1.3 (3 CD's Version) Because UBI/Gog Version are Broken EAX , and the ThirteenAG's Widescreen Fix !
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy% … ing_EAX_support

And i know , the Game Chnage to (Software Mode ?) (DDraw?) , for Playback the Intro/Movies. !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJUnLu4Pwg

can you may fix that issue. ?

Reply 198 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it's not DDraw. For movie playback, the game access the backbuffer directly by cpu, instead of drawing texture tiles or copying from an offscreen buffer.
So the video memory needs to be read and then written back through a special shader which is not ideal for large resolutions like UHD or 4k.

It could be optimized a bit for special cases like this but I won't do it for the time being (in this round).