VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr Lurch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morning all.
First, apologies for my first post being a "help", although this is my first ever 3DFX adventure (what can I say, I was an nVidia kid).
Anyway...
Short version: I'm getting these strange pink-ish lines in the shadows, within NFS2SE on my 12mb Voodoo 2 (that routed from a ATI Rage, but I've tested against other cards too...)
(Image attached)

The testing I've done:
I actually got sent a BUNCH of cards from a mate to tests (various Voodoo 1's and 2's) and its visible on all cards.
LCD vs CRT, no difference
Turning OFF "Card Detail" in NFS makes it "less bad". Ditto with turning off "Triple Colour Buffering" in the driver settings.
Tested in both an old Dell Optiplex G1 (the one with the Rage II) and a generic Gigabyte 440BX based mobo (both P2's) - on the Gigabyte I even tried a different PSU.
Tried the following drivers on both machines: Driver Kits July 1998, 3.00.01, 3.01.00, the genuine Orchard and Diamond Monster drivers (for those cards), and FastVooDoo 4.6
Other Glide games (UT, GLQuake, Quake 2) all test/run fine.
OS is a completely updated Win98SE install (on both machines).

(Yes, I've spent *many* hours testing/trying to narrow down where the issue is)

Any ideas? Is this a known "thing" that I'll never beat?
Help?

Cheers,
Jase/Mr Lurch

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to Voodoo hardware! What you are seeing is the screen filter. It's a feature, working as intended, and if you don't like it, there is an environment variable to turn it off.

set SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_THRESHOLD 0x00000

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by Mr Lurch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, tried that, no change. 🙁
Also tried SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE

Never mind - I'm an idiot who can't remember how to set env var's in Win 98 anymore - heh
It's now gone from lines to a hatch pattern - I guess thats expected?