VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a low-profile Windows 98/XP hybrid build I'm working on. Low profile is a bit of a hurdle for this type of build as it not only limits the choice of video cards, but it severely limits the choice of sound cards. I've only found 1 option that fits right out of the box - and that is the CMI-8738, but I don't really want to go this route. The only other card I've found (that can be easily obtained today, at least) that can even theoretically be used in a low-profile configuration is an ALS 4000 card. The one I have has a 15-pin gameport breakout port which can be detached from the high-profile bracket. This part is actually easy as it perfectly fits into a low-profile DVI bracket and can take up an unused slot. But the sound card portion is another story as the 3 inputs/outputs don't line up with any low-profile brackets on the market.

So my thought was, simply take a 3-D printed generic bracket and drill 3 holes in it for the inputs/outputs. Does anybody sell something like that? I had no look cruising ebay.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problem with that is that the tabs on the bracket to mount to the card are going to be on a model to model basis.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also consider chopping the stock bracket shorter, bending it over, and using a screw with a big head or extra washer to hold it. Or sweat/braze a short cutoff of a blanking plate on the back of it when cut down. It might be a tad off by the metal thicknesses, but there's usually enough tolerance to persuade it to fit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bmwsvsu wrote on 2021-11-21, 17:13:

So my thought was, simply take a 3-D printed generic bracket and drill 3 holes in it for the inputs/outputs. Does anybody sell something like that? I had no look cruising ebay.

What speaks against the obvious, i.e. drilling holes in an ordinary low-profile bracket?
If it is the absence of mounting tabs, you could use small plastic cubes and self-tapping screws, instead.