VOGONS

Reply 160 of 895, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2021-09-11, 00:13:
shimart wrote on 2021-09-10, 07:25:

I got Vortex86-6072.
I installed Win98se, but there is no video driver.
Can you advise me on the video driver of this board?

The OG Vortex86 was based on an SiS system-on-chip - perhaps one of these drivers ? - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sis-chipset-drivers.html

Thanks for the information.
But I tried it before I posted a question here.
Unfortunately, the drivers did not work on Vortex86-6072.
;'-(

Reply 161 of 895, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shimart wrote on 2021-09-11, 14:31:
Thanks for the information. But I tried it before I posted a question here. Unfortunately, the drivers did not work on Vortex86 […]
Show full quote
rasteri wrote on 2021-09-11, 00:13:
shimart wrote on 2021-09-10, 07:25:

I got Vortex86-6072.
I installed Win98se, but there is no video driver.
Can you advise me on the video driver of this board?

The OG Vortex86 was based on an SiS system-on-chip - perhaps one of these drivers ? - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sis-chipset-drivers.html

Thanks for the information.
But I tried it before I posted a question here.
Unfortunately, the drivers did not work on Vortex86-6072.
;'-(

I finally found a working driver.
It works perfectly on win98se.
But it doesn't work in win2k.

https://www.advantech.com/support/details/driver?id=1-EH5J5

Reply 162 of 895, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a simple pc104 to 8bit isa converter.
Fortunately, the 8bit EGA card works well.

img_20211001_020348.jpg
Filename
img_20211001_020348.jpg
File size
81.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
img_20211001_020355.jpg
Filename
img_20211001_020355.jpg
File size
68.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
img_20211001_020406.jpg
Filename
img_20211001_020406.jpg
File size
293.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Secret of Monkey Island 16 color mode.

img_20211001_020421.jpg
Filename
img_20211001_020421.jpg
File size
119.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Shoot to the screen with RGB2HDMI (RPi0) converter.

Reply 164 of 895, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VBEMP Universal VESA Driver should work on Vortex86 with Windows 98

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 165 of 895, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd absolutely love to give this project a try!

Have the final gerbers been released? I see the shared project on PCBWay but I'm not sure if it's final (ie. no bodge wire?) and I'd like to compare prices with JLCPCB.

Also, where can you purchase the VorteX86 module in the USA? So far I've only received a response from WDL Systems ($183.00).

Lastly, what headers or mounting hardware is required? WDL Systems said they think I need 4x ICOP SOM304 SX/RD/MX+/DX2/DX3 Dev Board Mating Connector ($4.00 x 4). Is that correct?

Last edited by sofakng on 2021-11-19, 20:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 166 of 895, by leency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, rasteri!

Could you please try to run KolibriOS?
You can make a bootable card or even run KolibriOS from Windows 9x (in this case Windows shuts down).
Probably this PC suits very nice for this OS.

Reply 167 of 895, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2021-11-19, 16:59:

Have the final gerbers been released? I see the shared project on PCBWay but I'm not sure if it's final (ie. no bodge wire?) and I'd like to compare prices with JLCPCB.

Also, where can you purchase the VorteX86 module in the USA? So far I've only received a response from WDL Systems ($183.00).

Lastly, what headers or mounting hardware is required? WDL Systems said they think I need 4x ICOP SOM304 SX/RD/MX+/DX2/DX3 Dev Board Mating Connector ($4.00 x 4). Is that correct?

Gerbers are here : http://rasteri.com/weeCee_gerbers_0.3.zip

I'm not sure about USA, I believe icop actually have a branch there.

And that is the correct mounting hardware

Reply 169 of 895, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After watching the LGR video i was really curious about how fast and how slow the Vortex86DX is. Also curious how good the XGA Volari really is in DOS, speedwise and compatibilty wise. VESA compatibilty being extremely important.

Very neat project, and i would love to see something like this but on a board including at least a couple of PCI and ISA slots.

Reply 170 of 895, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2021-11-20, 01:43:

Thanks very much. Are there any specific instructions when ordering the PCB? (surface finish, spacing, hole size, etc?)

Reply 171 of 895, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2021-11-20, 18:51:

Thanks very much. Are there any specific instructions when ordering the PCB? (surface finish, spacing, hole size, etc?)

Nah, not really. Default options on most board houses should suffice.

Well maybe pick the appropriate soldermask colour for the front (blue) and rear (black) plates, or different ones if that's your bag.

Reply 174 of 895, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ordering in the US - ICOP has an office in California and manufactures its stuff from Taiwan. My 2 SoMs cost 177 USD (back in May/June of this year) without shipping each, but be warned that you MUST also get mating pin connectors that are no listed on their website. You have to specifically mention them in your forced email communication with them. They are 4x ICOP SOM304 SX/RD/MX+/DX2/DX3 Dev Board Mating Connector" PH2*38(1.27)-5.3MM.

Also, don't fall into the same trap I did and do not get the circuitmaker listed 16.000 MHz crystal for the sound chip. Get the vintage-friendly 16.9344 MHz. Both will make adlib and sound blaster sounds work well, but the former will make MIDI completely fail.

I also ordered from PCBWay and I kinda regret not controlling the thickness of the front and back plates. It's too thick and causes issues when inserting/removing the microsd card. You have to really jam your fingernail in the slot and you risk damaging the microSD connector (which I did, twice). So, the only way to safely change the microSD card is to unscrew the front plate and use minimal force. If I had thinner plates, like it seems Andy has in his videos, all of this problem would be removed I bet.

If I had to order more (I don't, I used 2 plates and gave out 2 to a local DIYer who also made his own 2 units), I'd check out JLCPCB because a cursory check a few months ago indicated that they'd be quite cheaper. It may have changed, but it's worth consulting and comparing the prices.

1Bit Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw
DOS Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUn0Dp6PM8DBTF-5g0nvcw

Reply 175 of 895, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mu0n wrote on 2021-11-22, 14:14:

Ordering in the US - ICOP has an office in California and manufactures its stuff from Taiwan. My 2 SoMs cost 177 USD (back in May/June of this year) without shipping each, but be warned that you MUST also get mating pin connectors that are no listed on their website. You have to specifically mention them in your forced email communication with them. They are 4x ICOP SOM304 SX/RD/MX+/DX2/DX3 Dev Board Mating Connector" PH2*38(1.27)-5.3MM.

Where did you order the SoMs from? Directly from ICOP? So far the only distributor that responded is WDL Systems with a price of $183.00 for the module and $4.00 for each connector (and I need four?).

I also ordered from PCBWay and I kinda regret not controlling the thickness of the front and back plates. It's too thick and causes issues when inserting/removing the microsd card. You have to really jam your fingernail in the slot and you risk damaging the microSD connector (which I did, twice). So, the only way to safely change the microSD card is to unscrew the front plate and use minimal force. If I had thinner plates, like it seems Andy has in his videos, all of this problem would be removed I bet.

That's really good to know, thanks! What size did you order and what would you recommend?

If I had to order more (I don't, I used 2 plates and gave out 2 to a local DIYer who also made his own 2 units), I'd check out JLCPCB because a cursory check a few months ago indicated that they'd be quite cheaper. It may have changed, but it's worth consulting and comparing the prices.

I'm just about ready to submit my order on JLCPCB. The mainboard is only $8.00 compared to $20+ (I forget) on PCBWay and the front/back panels are $2.00.

@Restari - Is there any reason you didn't opt for the more powerful Vortex86DX3 processor?

Reply 176 of 895, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2021-11-22, 17:15:

Where did you order the SoMs from? Directly from ICOP? So far the only distributor that responded is WDL Systems with a price of $183.00 for the module and $4.00 for each connector (and I need four?).

Yes, I waited a few days to hear back from my email inquiries at first. It was fairly quick considering I was a low volume client.

sofakng wrote on 2021-11-22, 17:15:

That's really good to know, thanks! What size did you order and what would you recommend?

Checking back on the order page in PCBWay, the plates ended up 1.6 mm thickness (I just sent the gerbers as is from Andy's stuff). I'd definitely try something like 2/3rds or half of this easily.
It'd be interesting if Andy aka TheRasteri did something special to his order with regards to the thickness.

1Bit Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw
DOS Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUn0Dp6PM8DBTF-5g0nvcw

Reply 177 of 895, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mu0n wrote on 2021-11-22, 19:00:

Checking back on the order page in PCBWay, the plates ended up 1.6 mm thickness (I just sent the gerbers as is from Andy's stuff). I'd definitely try something like 2/3rds or half of this easily.
It'd be interesting if Andy aka TheRasteri did something special to his order with regards to the thickness.

Oh crap yeah, the front and rear plates should be 1mm thick.

I guess the SD card won't be easy to insert at 1.6mm... Sorry I completely forgot that...

Reply 178 of 895, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2021-11-23, 14:42:

Oh crap yeah, the front and rear plates should be 1mm thick.

I guess the SD card won't be easy to insert at 1.6mm... Sorry I completely forgot that...

Thanks!

Can you comment on why you chose the Vortex86DX2 instead of the DX3?

Reply 179 of 895, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2021-11-23, 14:47:

Can you comment on why you chose the Vortex86DX instead of the DX3?

DOS games don't need the extra core or clock speed of the DX3. In fact the DX itself is pretty overkill, the SX is fine for everything except FPU games.

I'm not sure if the DX3 is pin compatible with the DX either, I'd have to double check