VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My video card does a very cyan image over DVI to VGA adapter. The pure blue of the XP formatting screen is fine, white text during post is pure cyan, black text is pure black, red is black. Does this mean that that red pin of the VGA out is not connecting properly?

DVI video out is fine.

Weirdly the other DVI port outputs white text as yellow, etc. Something fishy going on.

The cable and adapter are both fine, and the connection to the monitor.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 9, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a very similar problem on my Asus V9560XT/TD/128M (GeForce FX 5600 XT): DVI output is fine, but the VGA output has a strong cyan tint. Doesn't really matter as long as DVI is working fine though.

Reply 3 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DVI-VGA adapters tend to be passive, if the red pin on one port is faulty(bad contact) and the blue pin on the other, you will get the kind of behaviour you describe.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Examine your card very carefully near the DVI connector, one of component got knocked off.

Common on my video cards that was advertised as needs repair from ebay, since I knew how to repair, that saved some money and fun.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-11-25, 01:07:

Examine your card very carefully near the DVI connector, one of component got knocked off.

Common on my video cards that was advertised as needs repair from ebay, since I knew how to repair, that saved some money and fun.

Cheers,

Just took a hard look on the back side near the VGA connector and it seems at least two smd's got knocked off. Now I know where the problem lies. Thanks for the hint 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 9, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lucky you.
I have S3 Trio64v2 that has blue output shorted to the ground. I was hoping that's some external components, but after removing everything (inductor, 75 Ohm resistor, etc) the pin on the chip itself measures 12 Ohm to the ground.