VOGONS

Reply 22 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-10-25, 04:14:

Well for me its more like 20-25%

Well, it might depend on the cpu. In my athlon64 FX-60 system I got around 25000 in win98 and 27400 in winXP with 7800GS in 3dmark01

Reply 23 of 25, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a very similar hardware setup too and have the exact same performance issues. It definitely seems like a driver somewhere really likes Windows XP and not 98, causing a CPU bottle neck. Tightening my memory timings and raising my FSB made the biggest impact on my 3DMark01 score. While changing the resolution and AA has little impact. I've tried many of things you tried as well with no success. I'm still investigating it.

Reply 25 of 25, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-11-24, 21:14:

Do you have chipset drivers installed? If AGP drivers are not installed, performance, particularly for Windows 98 which has fewer built in AGP drivers. will tank.

Yes I tried several like OP has. Still have that CPU bottle neck on all of them. Some are slightly faster than others but I'm still getting about 50% of the score on 3DMark01 as someone else with a non-VIA motherboard or XP. There are some performance hacks for DX and Windows I want to try after researching a bit, like CPUPriority, AGPConcure, FastDRAM. For DX, disable MMX and make sure no debug flags are set in win.ini for whatever reason. I'll post updates when I get around to it.