VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
Duke Nukem 3D (I know it is a semi 3D FPS), and Hexen II in particular (among many other FPS), make me really sick and nauseousness.

I don't know its age (I'm no longer in my 20's), but back in the day, I can't remember getting this sick when playing these games!

Is there a command line that reduces the head-bob, or other similar features?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When they were current big monitors cost thousands, so might be less to do with age and more to do with playing on a 14-15" vs 20" plus.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Source ports usually include the option to turn off head bob/weapon sway but I'm not sure if this can be done in the original games.

And yeah, I hate this visual effect too, and turn it off whenever possible.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 13, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had my first epileptic seizure playing Marathon II, I was around sixteen years old, Wolfestein 3D causes me a lot of problems, Doom is playable, Duke nuken 3D bad, the rebirth of Marathon (Aleph one) does not cause me problems and I can still play games like Descent, forsaken and Overload, Quake... without problems for hours, so, almost all 2.5D games, cause me problems. I have hardly ever had problems playing 3D games.
So the 2.5D problem is real, the reason, personally never investigated it, sometimes it is better not to know.
In my case it has to do with the way I perceive the movement of the camera, it is difficult to explain.
And all this even when I am undergoing treatment for epilepsy.

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a traditional FPS, but for the original Descent games, a minor hack can remove ship bobbing entirely:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/descent-ship-bobbing/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 13, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've read something about Descent games causing nausea or dizziness but I never experienced that, not with real 3D games.
Hexen II uses a 3D engine not a 2.5D., but some older 3D games also give some kind of dizziness feeling.
In the case of 3D games I think it has something to do with the speed of the movement, nowadays we play old games at very high frame rate and back then it wasn't so high;).

Reply 7 of 13, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess back then the bobbing effect was sort of kind of programmer's art, with the aim of pretending "action", just because it was possible.
They must have been even proud of that.

The seizure problems probably was what cured this idiocy.

And I agree, source ports usually are preferrable just to prevent the bobbing annoyance.

Maybe an explanation why it annoys more than back then when we were young is that we just started running around fast, which made the bobbing less apparent, while nowadays just starting the game and seeing that bobby image makes us feel annoyed.

Reply 8 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote on 2021-11-25, 16:23:

I guess back then the bobbing effect was sort of kind of programmer's art, with the aim of pretending "action", just because it was possible.
They must have been even proud of that.

Most games have some "bobbing". It's just more subtle and realistic now. I guess back then they haven't figure out how to make natural-looking and natural-feeling walking in first person perspective. Still, I find Doom's bobbing preferred to Wolf3D's completely flat sliding motion.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even back in the mid 90's and me in my teens Wolf3D gave me headaches. Only game that did. I always assumed it was the bobbing that stopped this is later games.
Last year I found I couldn't play Fatal Racing / Whiplash after a while. I'm putting that down to age.

Reply 10 of 13, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-11-26, 12:09:

Even back in the mid 90's and me in my teens Wolf3D gave me headaches. Only game that did. I always assumed it was the bobbing that stopped this is later games.
Last year I found I couldn't play Fatal Racing / Whiplash after a while. I'm putting that down to age.

Wolf 3D is the worst in my case, and Fatal Racing has some estrange camera movements, the movement of the cars is also very estrange, I see the car like it's always jumping a bit on the road, like the effect of the spring.

Reply 11 of 13, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2021-11-26, 19:14:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-11-26, 12:09:

Wolf 3D is the worst in my case, and Fatal Racing has some estrange camera movements, the movement of the cars is also very estrange, I see the car like it's always jumping a bit on the road, like the effect of the spring.

Is there a fix for Duke Nukem 3D?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 12 of 13, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2021-11-25, 06:22:

Hexen II's idtech2 so that has the cl_bob cvar to set to remove this bobbing issue.

so I would type cl_bob cvar , correct?

Originally cl_bob returned a 0.02 value. If I type cl_bob cvar, it returns 'cvar' value.

Reply 13 of 13, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a fix for Duke Nukem 3D?

Never looked for fixes, for me it depends of various things, refresh rate, monitor type and contrast/brightness.
I usually feel better using LCD monitors or with CRT monitors, I need high refresh rate, 100Hz or more, easily doable at 640x480, and in both cases with a warm temperature colours. But always better with LCDs.
I know it may sound strange, but after more than twenty years with this problems, is what I've concluded.
If you use a CRT you can try an LCD, or reduce the brightness a bit and increase the contrast, and change the colour temperature.
There are also those orange "gaming glasses", they work very well, but I'm worried about the long term usage.