VOGONS

First post, by retro_rob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morning all, great forum!

Hoping you can help. I've recent built a nice little retro rig for some old school gaming. I've got a Dell Optiplex GX1 (P3, 450mhz, 256Mb of ram) paired with a 3DfX Voodoo 3 2000 (PCI) and SB 16 (ISA) and an MT-32 waiting in the wings.

Primary purpose for the build was as a Win 98 machine, which went smooth as butter.

XP has been a different story; I encountered an issue during install that I've never seen on a dozen-plus XP builds with various lappies/desktops down the years.

Simply, Windows XP hates my Voodoo!

On a clean install, I boot from XP cd, Windows XP setup loading screen displays fine, but when the screen refreshes for the actual setup the display is hopelessly corrupted. Not blue screen of death or anything; the screen is simply utterly garbled; like the card has corrupted. I can't make out a single thing.

I removed the Voodoo and temporarily reverted back to the on-board Rage Pro graphics which displayed setup just fine and allowed me to complete the XP installation. It was a long shot but I then popped the Voodoo back in and rebooted. Bios screen fine, Windows XP loading screen fine... desktop a garbled mess. Doh.

Voodoo card itself is absolutely fine IMO; proof being that five mins later I switched HDs back to my Win 98SE build and was happily playing Quake for 30 mins with no issues (artefacting etc.)

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't sort this - I built this machine for 2D LucasArts/Sierra adventures mostly and I can always play 3D games in Win 98 - but I have to say in terms of ease of use Win XP - with its compatibility with all my GOG games and ScummVM - is defo less of a ballache than 98.

So ideally it'd be great to sort this - also I can't help feeling my pride is hurt that I can't sort 😁

Any ideas please crew?? TIA!

Reply 1 of 10, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might be a driver issue? What kind of drivers are you using on XP? IIRC I have tested my own Voodoo 3 3000 PCI under XP with the AmigaSport (I think, will check later) drivers.

You could try with those and/or the AmigaMerlin and SFFT drivers and see if the situation improves 😀

Reply 2 of 10, by retro_rob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the message 😀 Don't you think it's strange though that the Voodoo was causing the artefacts during setup? i.e. even the generic windows drivers which have literally had no issue with *any* GFX card I've ever had were having issues?

Is what you're suggesting I should try is to install the drivers you've suggested under the Rage Pro in the XP environment, re-insert the Voodoo 3 and reboot? I don't feel like that's got much likelihood of success but of course I'm willing to try it...

Again, so weird it works fine in Win 98 and not XP - it's not like the Voodoo 3 was particularly old news by the time XP launched and - as you say - it works fine on your machine...

TIA.

Reply 3 of 10, by retro_rob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Me again, so those Amigasport drivers worked - thanks! even got the ISA SB 16 recognised and installed, result.

I have a new (related) issue. Performance in Doom 2 (GoG version) is horrendous, like watching a slideshow. That can't be right - specs above have miles enough grunt to run it. Same issue with ScummVM. The GUI where you add/launch games is unusable, the cursor jerks about and it's almost impossible to launch stuff. When I did launch Monkey Island 2 I have the same cursor issues.

Is there something else I needed to have installed and forgot about or something? Glide should be in the Amigasport drivers, and DirectX is included in XP.

Apols if I'm missing something obvious, it's been a long time since I've played around with this hardware/software 😀 Thx

PS On another note I finally acquired a genuine Roland MT-32 this week and tried it out with games in ScummVM on my Win10 machine in prep for using with the Optiplex build when I've finally got it working well - amazing 😀))))

Reply 4 of 10, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The whole situation is a bit weird. You shouldn´t be having corrupt/garbled image on first boot (no video driver installed)...just a basic "default video adapter" kind of image.

About the slideshow performance, you did install motherboard´s chipset dirver, didn´t you? You shouldn´t be having such a bad performance due to having not installed the chipset driver though...but just in case...

Reply 5 of 10, by retro_rob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I agree and thanks. However, have managed to sort the 'corrupted' issue as per my post above.

I didn't install my chipset drivers for the Win98 install in which the Voodoo works great. there's an Opengl tweak for the Amigasport drivers which will be my next port of call; after which I'll remove the Voodoo 3 from the XP setup and see how the onboard Rage Pro fares.

In the interim, does anybody else have any ideas - or is there an alternative XP driver to the Amigasport 3.0? Another poster mentioned AmigaMerlin/SFFT but these seem focused on higher end Voodoos than mine. Would they still work?

Cheers!

Reply 6 of 10, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Voodoo 3 3000 PCI is working fine under XP with driver version 5.14.0069.001 12/6/2011 - Probably it's the latest SFFT version, I don't remember exactly what driver I've used.

Attachments

• unreal_fps.jpg
    Filename
    unreal_fps.jpg
    File size
    613.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • voodoo3_XP.png
    Filename
    voodoo3_XP.png
    File size
    56.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My best video so far.

Reply 7 of 10, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-27, 17:16:

My Voodoo 3 3000 PCI is working fine under XP with driver version 5.14.0069.001 12/6/2011 - Probably it's the latest SFFT version, I don't remember exactly what driver I've used.

Could you kindly upload the driver package?

Reply 8 of 10, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2022-01-23, 21:32:
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-27, 17:16:

Could you kindly upload the driver package?

This is the driver stored on my Win 2K partition.

Attachments

• Filename
    V3_driver2k.zip
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

My best video so far.